Myfun Pass Idea

Reanimated35

Recent survey from Future of Fun about the passes got me thinking. Firstly, I love the current VIP passes and what they've done for the park. Tonight I didn't feel like doing my normal daily 3-6 hour gaming session after work (no I don't have a social life) so I decided to do this instead. ------***------***------***------***------***------***------***------***------***------***------***------***------***------***------***------***------***------***------***------***------***------***------***------***------ In my opinion the current "VIP" passes aren't "VIP" at all. They're just the normal entry ticket everyone has these days. I personally wouldn't mind paying a lot more for the passes if you were to get better benefits. I have previously forked out a few hundred bucks for a 2 year pass to DW/WWW and a VIP pass at the same time. Sure, it was a lot for an up front cost (probably about $350) but I got way more than my monies worth out of them. My idea for a new pass (while cashing in on the current superhero theme). > Hard plastic card (same as you would get from your bank) > Unlimited entry to MW/SW/WnW for 2 years from the date of purchase > 15% Discount of F&B purchases in the parks > 10% discount on photo products > Early entry (30min) to the parks > 1-2 rides running 30 min early for passholders > Some kind of birthday bonus (discounted entry for friends or something) How much would I be willing to pay for this? Probably around $300 - To get your monies worth, you'd simply need to visit each park once, and one twice, or the same park 4 times over 2 years. That's not even counting the savings in-park. Is this ever likely to happen? No, but I felt like suggesting this anyway. An idea for card design gl_zpsa62cbc68.jpg batman_zpseff6b313.jpg flash_zpsd345b5e3.jpg superman_zpsecdca9ce.jpg

Both DW and VRTP have occasional passholder offers - on my most recent visit to DW to ride Pandamonium for the first time (which was closed... on a saturday... so that they could spray-crete the ground), passholders received a free upgrade to frozen coke with any meal purchase. On previous visits to VRTP, passholders received discounts if they dined at Rick's. For the price we currently pay, i think any of those offers are pretty generous... For a VIP Gold, I feel there should be a little more. I'm in total agreeance with this concept, and pretty much said the same thing on my future of fun survey, calling for tiered ticketing, with better offers the higher you go, and more restrictions the lower you go.

> Hard plastic card (same as you would get from your bank) > Unlimited entry to MW/SW/WnW for 2 years from the date of purchase > 15% Discount of F&B purchases in the parks > 10% discount on photo products > Early entry (30min) to the parks > 1-2 rides running 30 min early for passholders > Some kind of birthday bonus (discounted entry for friends or something)

Hopefully when June rolls around, a new pass will be conceived that is more expensive but has very similar perks to what you have suggested. I really just want that early entry with 1 or 2 major rides open for 1/2 n hour! They did it for a bit when the gold pass was around and they really should include it in the next pass. ^I'm with you guys, scrap the name VIP pass when it's nothing really that special. Give me a pass along the lines of what reanimated suggested, and then maybe 'VIP Pass' is valid. Edited by Luke

A couple of years ago the MyFun annual passes were plastic cards. I don't really know why they changed to cardboard ones except maybe in the hope some people would end up damaging them and throwing them away! Obviously it also reduces the cost of making the cards a bit. Having said that the plastic cards were printed on site at the parks as you waited so it wasn't that difficult.

A major factor of the new 'pass style' is (apart from, of course, the cost) is the speed. Imagine 7, 000+ passes being made up at the entry points a day when the passes release. Now try either a) plastic cards that take a minute or two per pass to take a photo and print or B) these passes that can be made up in less than 20 seconds, photo, explanation and all. The attachment to the pass (the a5 paper sheet) also has information for the pass holders, reducing the explanation time (of course this could just be replaced with a piece of paper). As for the $300 pass... The discovery pass I believe is a good substitute for this sort of pass. Sure, it's not a hard card, but it's $150 for a year (works out to $300 for two years), unlimited entry, free Fright Night + White Christmas, upgrades in park and discounts within and at the resort (and AOS). However, $300 for 2 years wouldn't be a bad idea with the benefits you've suggested. It would 'lock a contract' between the guest and the parks for a longer period of time - parks get the money in advanced, guests get the benefit of discounts and knowing their price can't go up until the pass is expired and they need a new one.

I agree, and reckon they should be renamed something that doesn't imply it's for "VIPs" to end the feeling of entitlement people seem to have.

hahaha, yeah. Try explaining to thousands of 'VIP' pass holders why they have to line up in the longer line when their pass says "VIP". The drama and hassle it causes consumes so much staff time and sometimes ends in arguments and havoc.

I know every time this comes up, I make a post to the effect that the $99 should be a pass that excludes Xmas holidays and only includes entry. $150 should be a pass with no block out dates, and entry to either white Xmas or Halloween, and $200 should be both White Xmas, and Halloween, no block out dates, and a 15% off f&b. Hopefully this would help distribute the crowds more evenly throughout the year and boost revenue.

^ Nice design work! And I like the idea of a proper card.

Good idea. Food and Bev should be only 10%, that is how much the staff get and it should also include merchandise (Dreamworlds current one includes 10% merchandise but not food and bev)

Fair enough. Would have expected the staff perks to be a little better than that, but I guess that's pretty standard, I must just be lucky where I work :P

On previous visits to VRTP, passholders received discounts if they dined at Rick's. For the price we currently pay, i think any of those offers are pretty generous... For a VIP Gold, I feel there should be a little more. I'm in total agreeance with this concept, and pretty much said the same thing on my future of fun survey, calling for tiered ticketing, with better offers the higher you go, and more restrictions the lower you go.

I agree, the price we pay is great for what we get. I'd love to pay more and feel as though I was actually a special guest if you will, of the park by having a 2 year pass instead of one that has just become standard entry. The idea of tiered ticketing I'm not too fond of personally because I think it would cause a lot of confusion as to who does and who doesn't get what benefits. Unless it was really simplified it would probably cause a few complaints.

A couple of years ago the MyFun annual passes were plastic cards. I don't really know why they changed to cardboard ones except maybe in the hope some people would end up damaging them and throwing them away! Obviously it also reduces the cost of making the cards a bit. Having said that the plastic cards were printed on site at the parks as you waited so it wasn't that difficult.

It's a lot cheaper to have the cheap plastic cards done up than it is to have a proper card done. I'd say they changed in preperation for the passes becoming what they are now - everyone's everyday admission.

A major factor of the new 'pass style' is (apart from, of course, the cost) is the speed. Imagine 7, 000+ passes being made up at the entry points a day when the passes release.

IMO the price would negate that issue. When I went for my $300 pass with dremworld a few years back, there was only 1 other person in front of me waiting to get one done. Now if only we could get the parks to see things our way. Note to WVTP - if you're reading this feel free to take any and all ideas, I don't want anything for it, maybe just a "thanks" though :P

I agree, the price we pay is great for what we get. I'd love to pay more and feel as though I was actually a special guest if you will, of the park by having a 2 year pass instead of one that has just become standard entry. The idea of tiered ticketing I'm not too fond of personally because I think it would cause a lot of confusion as to who does and who doesn't get what benefits. Unless it was really simplified it would probably cause a few complaints.

It's simple - give everyone 'something'. Everyone scans their pass with every purchase, entry, booking etc. If they're entitled to receive something in particular, the scanner permits it - so for discounts, if everyone scans their pass, the register recognises the premium ticket and discounts automatically. With blockouts - if someone with a blockout tries to enter on a blocked day, the turnstile simply denies them entry... if they want to complain, they should have read the terms and conditions better.

But nevertheless it is their responsibility to read them, but assuming that they are clearly advertised and not 'hidden' in small print. In the case of the above pass suggestions, surely it would be spelled out in very very simple, clear terns on all advertising and on the website. If people then opt for a particular pass without bothering to read the very obvious information about what they're buying, well then I have no sympathy. If on the other hand they are sold in a misleading way and the specifics are only written in the small print, or on a website that they might not see, then that's different and they'd be entitled to a refund.

Can I get everyone to look back at '09 (or maybe '08? Not sure) when the VIP passes were first implemented. Blockout dates through the busy summer period lead to angry guests which lead to the blockout dates eventually being dropped because guests were unaware of them.

In my view, as long as the blockout dates and restrictions are advertised clearly, and not just hidden in the T&C's, I really don't see a problem. With a tiered structure, it is the customers choice to chose whether they go the blockout option or not, so they really only have themselves to blame. As great as the cheap pass options have been in recent years, they really need to stop it in its current form before it gets too bad.

Me too. The current prices are far too low. The parks cost a lot to maintain and run, and to get decent staff you have to pay decent wages (something they're not currently doing and it shows sometimes). I would say if an annual pass for the 3 village parks was around $300 (plus options to pay extra if you want any special bonuses such as those already suggested), that would still represent amazing value for money. And I do mean amazing, not just quite good.

Funnily enough though - Annual passes for Village used to be around the $300 mark (but can't remember if that was for one park or all three), and they did contain discounts, and other passholder benefits like what is being described above - no blockout dates either. The VIP passes were effectively the death of those passes and they faded into obscurity. They cannot offer two products so separated in price point, and have the only major difference as passholder discounts. What they need to do is make the cheap VIP or equivalent passes more restrictive with blockouts and special events. Change the name, publicise all tiers they're offering, with a clear comparison table of what's included in each, and let people decide. I forsee that about half the current VIP holders will get the new restricted pass, whinge about it, but wear it, and the other half will upgrade to slightly more expensive passes that deliver more. I don't predict that many will elect to 'not renew' that wouldn't have already anyway (besides of which the premium passes will roll in more money to cover that anyway). I think most will stay though - few will walk away and not renew simply because a trip to the park for most VIP holders is as casual and natural as going to the shops... it's just the 'done thing' now, and i think the parks have let this go long enough to form the habit now, so now it's time to wean them off it, whilst they're still in the habit of going whenever it pleases.

The biggest issue that I have with the passes at the moment is that the Gold is reduced and given away so often it lacks what made it special to begin with. The demise of the higher price point also seems to have seen the demise of the perks that came with going for gold. I would like to see pricing go back to what it was when they first introduced the Gold but would also like to see the return of the benefits for doing so. Whilst I never made use of early entry it was nice to know it was an option if I wanted to use it.

They are available, but they are $129.99 for 28 days. Who in their right mind would buy one when for between $80 and $110 (depending where and when you buy one) you can get up to a whole year with the VIP pass. I say "up to" because the price remains the same whether you get a whole year or just one day. I would much prefer the passes to simply be valid for one year FROM THE DATE OF PURCHASE. For that matter, who would pay $83 (current internet price for adults at Sea World) for a single day admission to just one of the parks? It's probably more than that if you pay at the gate rather than online. I am all for offering people different options, but there really should be some significant difference between the prices in a way that's more fair. As a rough guide I would suggest perhaps something along the lines of: Single day admission to one park $20 (adult) 28 days to all 3 VR parks $100 (includes 10% discount on food and merchandise) Annual pass to all 3 VR parks $300 (includes early entry and 15% discount on food and merchandise) Annual pass to all 3 VR parks $350 (includes early entry, 20% discount on food and merchandise, plus 1 free entry into Australian Outback Spectacular, and each of the parks special events)

Edited by pushbutton

Single day entry is too cheap. It needs to be a little higher, just as an incentive to go for the more expensive ticket. Not to mention - if it's $20 for an adult - what are you charging for a child??? Your tiers make everything pretty even - each one has the same value or appeal for it's particular purpose. I'd say something more like: Single day admission to one park $69 (adult) 28 days to all 3 VR parks $110 (includes 10% discount on food and merchandise) Annual pass to all 3 VR parks $199 (includes early entry and 15% discount on food and merchandise) Annual pass to all 3 VR parks $299 (includes early entry, 20% discount on food and merchandise, plus 1 free entry into Australian Outback Spectacular, and each of the parks special events) This weights the value towards the highest tier as being the best value... thereby encouraging more people to consider upgrading. This is why fast food everywhere offers upgrades to a larger meal for 'just $1 more'... the perceived value is better, and therefore, more people think 'why not' and decide to get the better one. The structure above also means that those who aren't going to be coming back to the park alot put more money down for their day - ensuring a high per-cap intake. Those who invest in the better value pass receive a lower 'per day' cost, along with the discounts to encourage a higher in-park spend on each visit, ensuring that while a 'cheaper' alternative for admission, more money 'per visit' comes into the park from those people.