Theme Park Review tours

tipsy_bella

I've heard they're pretty great on the whole. Robb Alvey is certainly a love or hate kind of personality, and for me I think he certainly does a lot of really good stuff for the greater theme park community, particularly in terms of the reputation we all have with the parks. There's definitely a few members on here who have been on trips who can share more on the trips themselves. I personally haven't been on one, I did Japan last year and navigated my own course and had immense fun doing it. To be fair, TPR trips might be excellent for USA/Europe but i'm not too sure about Japan. Sure, you'll get all the added fun of a large group of people and a no-fuss itinerary, but perks like ERT are not going to be worth it, particularly when you're travelling in Sep/Oct (like when I did) and most parks are dead anyway. If you're tossing up between going on a TPR trip versus doing it alone, make sure you do your research when it comes to Japan, particularly in terms of getting around. Japan Rail Pass is a must. Also keep an eye out for Jetstar's deals, they run a big deal every few months with excellent pricing from Gold Coast to Tokyo/Osaka which can get as cheap as 600 bucks per person return. Their current deal is business class tickets at standard economy pricing. Go check it out.

I have respect for anybody who can spend a month with Rob Alvey. I didn't know it was possible to come across as a huge condescending ass over the Internet (to a bunch of 12 year olds), but every week he seems to outdo himself. There's a lot of value in doing overseas trips by yourself or with a small group. Personally I prefer exploring different places with friends, but I can understand wanting to go with a like minded group. Then again if I was to go to Japan I wouldn't be spending most of my time at theme parks.

Edited by keadz

^ I respectfully disagree. Robb is a friend and I find him to be very enjoyable to hang out with. The thing is TPR is a business and so are the trips, so don't be fooled into thinking that just because you fork out a few grand for a trip it means you will be life long besties with Robb and Elissa any more than you would with any other tour company. Hey your personalities may well gel and you do become great friends but maybe not, a tip is not to hang off them like a bad leech or be some kind of stalker because people do that and it's not cool. Robb is pretty much a straight up guy, treat him well and he will treat you well. Be a demanding bitch and you'll get dissed, it's pretty simple. And bare in mind, it can't be easy to put up with the endless stupid bullshit on that site and be roses all the time. I've only done the one trip, the first one back in 2006 and it was one of the most enjoyable holidays I've ever had. Met some great fun people and just really had a great time. IMO if you don't just make the trip about being a theme park nerd 24/7 you can have an amazing time, switch off at the end of the day, have a beer with the other trip people and just enjoy where you're travelling and the people you're with. I also spent a small amount of time with the group on the Australia trip, and it doesn't look like anything has changed. The trips are expensive on face value but you get a lot more than you probably would on your own and especially with Japan, they have done LOADS of trips there and they love the place. I would do another trip in a second should I have the time and funds.

I have been on three Theme Park Review tours, one of which was to Japan. I have made friends for life from the trips and plan to keep doing them, i plan to do one maybe next year or the year after. Last year i went to South Carolina to meet up with my friend Jenn who i have travelled with on all three tours. The trips are heaps of fun and very well organised. I have recently travelled with Intrepid a travel company, and they did a good job but had a serious lack of attention to detail. The Theme Park Review trips are the best organised i have been on. Robb is a great person and i agree he has done great things for them Theme Park industry and community.