Theme Park Ride Restraint Sizes

bridie

We are heading to the Gold Coast next month and will be attending Dreamworld and Movie World. I am a little worried about the size of rides seat restaints. I have called the parks and they advised there are no weight restrictions it just really depends how you hold your weight and you can ride as long as the restraint is secure. I am, 5'7 size 22. Is anyone able to give me some insight on their experiences with seating and what to avoid? Many thanks

I think you'd be OK with Buzz-Saw... my fiance says it depends on what 'brand' size 22 you're talking about. If its a target 22, thats a bit different to an Autograph 22. Scooby, MDMC and Claw are almost certainly out. Others really depend on how you carry the weight. Arkham should be alright because the new restraints differ from the old ones. GD will be a squeeze, but it makes you feel more secure. RoadRunner is most likely out as well. Unfortunately, except for Claw and MDMC, most attractions don't have 'test seats' for you so the only way to find out is to line up for them. Some of these rides just need to hit the first click... but others need to hit a certain amount of clicks, AND the cabin needs to balance. If the cabin is too heavy, or too heavy to one side, it will not launch - so if you fit in Giant Drop, try sitting as close to the centre of the cabin. If you're with someone who doesn't tend to have a lot of issues with the harnesses, then get them to wait until you've sat down and locked in, so that they can 'give it a shove' or help you do your seatbelt up before they do their own. My partner isn't a 22, but does need a shove on some of the tighter ones to make sure it locks in. She's still a little bit of a chicken on some, so prefers to feel 'more locked in' anyway. One word of advice though - take a reasonably comfortable (not super deep) breath before you 'shove' it... if you've totally exhaled, you won't be able to breathe, and if you take a super deep breath, it may not lock in. hope this helps.

The best advice I can give you is BEFORE lining up for rides like Superman or Green Lantern at movie world is speaking to the entry host and asking if you can test the seat before lining up. That way it saves you the embarrassment if you are unable to fit on the ride and wasting time lining up. As far as Scooby Doo goes, it's very odd with regards to larger guests. However I can suggest sitting in the back row of the car as there is more legroom which makes it easier to spread out if required. Batwing the harness does NOT need to touch you, as long as the seatbelt is done up you will be OK to ride. Superman will require all 3 safety checks to pass, which includes being able to see a yellow line of stitching on the seatbelt, the lap-bar touching your legs and making sure you can move side to side in the seat comfortably. Wild West Falls is also pretty accommodating, but once again each seat / lap bar is ever so slightly different but if your unsure if you will fit i'd suggest riding in your own row to ensure the most likely success. One last tip with scoobs, if you have any bags either leave them in a locker or have someone else riding with you place them between your feet to give you the most room possible. If you have any further questions about Scooby, Batwing, Wild West Falls or Superman restrictions please feel free to PM me and i'll try my best to help out...

Scooby Doo does not have a weight limit for the cars, but the harness does need to lock down a few clicks to register as locked on the control panel. So either the green or white light (depending which car your in) needs to stop flashing on the console before the operator can send the car. This ride can be really hit and miss, i've seen some guests which I thought would fit easily that have not... and some guests that I thought there was no way in hell they would... and they have. As far as Tower of Terror goes, the harness is similar to Superman (the outside seats do have the arm cage which could make the ride restrictive). But i'd say you might have more luck on Superman as the seatbelt on Tower of Terror isn't extendable like Superman.