Water Park for Perth

keadz

Popped into Outback Splash, today, as it ended up being at least 36 degrees. The park's ticket booth was closed and tickets had to be purchased at the Iguana Cafe. There was a new map up that included the proposed next stage of the park, featuring the Proslide Pipeline Wave and three other slides. 

The park was essentially deserted with two or three team members operating the slides.  There was one keeping an eye on the kids' slide and you would approach one of the others and they would open a slide for you by removing a large net from in front of it.

The slides were super slow as I'm pretty sure they used to operate them with mats and no longer do.  They even have a sign suggesting you remove your rashie and arch your back.  I found the enclosed slides to be the best, especially the green one (which is dark for a nice, long time).

They've increased the amount of shaded seating they have there and have a range of cabanas that you can rent, including a really big one.  There's even some large shaded awnings further up the hill in the direction of their expansion plans. 

The Hedge Maze seems to be growing back in the right places, although there are still a few gaps they have to plug.  The kangaroo wasteland is pretty much where the new gate is supposed to go in.  I actually hope they keep the kangaroos there as the tourists would really like that.  If they make the entrance just to the north of there it would be a great idea.

I'm hoping the expansion will take place this winter.  If they can get the new 'Aussie' entrance plaza, the four large slides and the kids waterplay area built they might have the basis of a great water park.

IMG_2833b.jpg

IMG_2714b.jpg

IMG_2817b.jpg

IMG_2824b.jpg

IMG_2822b.jpg

IMG_2773b.jpg

IMG_2777b.jpg

IMG_2778b.jpg

Edited by iwerks

• 2 months later...

We've had some horrendous weather in Perth this weekend, but the sun finally came out today.  Paid a quick visit to The Maze/Outback Splash.  There were about three cars in the lot when I arrived.  I think there were two other people in the park.  The crew there had apparently been clearing fallen tree branches from early in the morning.  Outback Splash, the water playground, was closed with no sign of any preparation for the next stage of construction.

Caught the 11.30 Koala keeper talk and one of the Koalas 'making it rain'.

I did see some marking of trees on the far side of the park, where the new gate is going to be built.  There were piles of bricks there too.  Let's hope construction starts soon, so they can get the next stage of development under way.

IMG_6642b.JPG

IMG_6834b.JPG

IMG_6835b.JPG

IMG_6813b.JPG

IMG_6802b.JPG

IMG_6803b.JPG

IMG_6844b.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Visited a lot of stuff on its off-season, this weekend.  Here are some shots of Perth's former Wet N Wild, which is now Kalamunda Water Park.  It never had the range that other Wet N Wild parks have.  It's lucky to still be with us as it was let to run down under its former guise.  The local shire and the YMCA have taken it over now. I hear good things about it, so I might try visiting it over the summer.

http://kalamundawaterpark.ymcawa.org.au/

IMG_7633b.JPG

IMG_7625b.JPG

IMG_7628b.JPG

IMG_7630b.JPG

IMG_7634b.JPG

IMG_7637b.JPG

I have no idea about the history. I remember seeing the sign up there in the eighties but never went in. It's not mentioned in any of the Wet N Wild history. Probably some clever person, like Tim said, getting in and using the name in Australia before it was registered here, much like what happened to Burger King.

46 minutes ago, iwerks said:

I have no idea about the history. I remember seeing the sign up there in the eighties but never went in. It's not mentioned in any of the Wet N Wild history. Probably some clever person, like Tim said, getting in and using the name in Australia before it was registered here, much like what happened to Burger King.

Quite possibly!! I could not see this scenario happening in this day and age!! Licensing laws plus Wet N Wild's legal team would be all over you!! l

It used to have more slides though. It had a speed slide which I think was called Screamin Demon and last time I went there it still had that gap in the tower where the slide went.

it also used to have a 4 lane slide but it was removed. I remember it being concrete at the bottom so was pretty rough

• 2 months later...

Made a quick visit to The Maze/Outback Splash, today, before my pass runs out in a month's time.  Very quiet day in what has been re-branded a family fun park.  It seems like they're preparing the ground for their long overdue kids' water playground.  Rumour has it that they'll be getting a large inflatable slide this year, although I could see some dug up turf further north, where the new slide tower will be.  The plans were also out on the side street for the local council. It was super quiet and snoozy.  The birds and Koalas were nice to visit, though.

IMG_4763b.JPG

IMG_4761b.JPG

IMG_4753b.JPG

IMG_4751b.JPG

IMG_4747b.JPG

IMG_4749b.JPG

IMG_4503b.JPG

IMG_4569b.JPG

IMG_4520b.JPG

IMG_4658b.JPG

IMG_4769b.JPG

Edited by iwerks

• 2 weeks later...

So unfortantly it seems I was right. I really did not want to be right but apparently I was. Another part of WA's theme parks now history. Hopefully a new tenet can come in and save it.

What the article does not say is that the park was originally sold to a South African family (Not being racist just stating who brought it) and they never did the proper maintenance and did not maintain it will which ultimately left it to become unsafe and run down. Now its time to break the internet again. Hey @iwerks :)  

* Channel 9 news has now picked it up.

Edited by Tim Dasco

Reading the comments on 9 news Perth are saying rents were so expensive they should just give up. They also said AW should sell the park for the land as there is no way they could make profits. (So AW spend millions on a park for new attractions when it makes 0 profit. That makes sense) They also said AW is prime land that should be sold to developers. :):):) 

• 1 month later...

2 new things have been announced at Perth Water Parks.

First the Maze is getting a new kiddie slide

We are excited to announce that a new water attraction is currently under construction and is due to open this December. 

Designed especially for toddlers and set in a shaded 35 metre splash pool, Octopus Bay features kid-friendly water activities including a 3-slide giant octopus and a miniature tipping bucket.

14633328_1239616022749056_5880674503027896040_o.jpg

and this was announced at the new Cockburn Aquatic and recreation centre. (ARC)

Edited by Tim Dasco