Why are there no private rollercoasters?

Linus1995

I was just thinking this morning, out of all the things in the world that rich billionaires buy and build for themselves, have any of them built their own rollercoaster? I'm sure some theme parks are owned by ultra rich men but why hasn't anyone built an Intamin Mega-Lite or something on their own ranch in Texas? I know there is someone who built their own small rollercoaster called Thunderbolt in America, but that was a crappy DIY job. I am talking about someone investing $10 million into a proper private rollercoaster. I know you might say 'oh but the running costs and staff will be expensive' but when they can afford to keep a yacht running with a full crew year round, that they maybe only use once, it isn't all that far fetched to think they wouldn't do the same for a rollercoaster. Maybe it is the rollercoaster companys themselves that refuse to do those projects? This might seem silly, which it is, but I just had never heard of it being done and wondered, why the hell not!?

Two Words: Council Approval.

Well Neverland Ranch is the most prominent example of an eccentric millionaire building their own rides, not sure if there was a rollercoaster though.

Neverland was mostly fairground rides for young kids, so probably not, or of it did, it was probably a Wacky Worm or other kids rollercoaster. MJ never used it himself, he opened it up mostly for kid weekend tour groups Willy Wonka style. I think it's now open to the general public. Edited by colliric_855

http://rcdb.com/4931.htm Neverland Ranch had two coasters. a small looper, and a dragon wagon coaster .For the record, here are all the parks not open to the public: http://rcdb.com/r.htm?ot=3&ca=166 But none are really owned by billionaires etc.

but when they can afford to keep a yacht running with a full crew year round, that they maybe only use once, it isn't all that far fetched to think they wouldn't do the same for a rollercoaster.

I think you'd get sick of a personal coaster after a couple of hundred rides. At least with a yacht you can host parties and go different places with it. Edited by Gazza

Ill give Clive 3 weeks.

Frankly I just plain wish he'd buy or takeover Dreamworld and sink $60 Million bucks into it... Ardent suck. Jurassic World at Dreamworld! He needs somewhere to put the dinos. Not all of them can be plunked on a Golf Course(that he's obviously sabotaging so he can turn it into a theme park instead).

Maybe he could do a deal with Lindsay Fox and bulldoze Luna Park Melbourne and turn the site into Jurassic World?

Lol. Seriously though, I just can't believe Dino Park Coolum is actually happening and it appears no thought has actually gone into how it'll look/work as a themed attraction. Doesn't bode well for his new Titanic. Edited by colliric_855

I imagine rich people often rent out entire parks when the mood strikes them. I've been to Stricker's Grove on the list, It opens to the public 2 days a year. The food wasn't bad, and there's a couple of cute wood coasters. OMG as if it wasn't scary enough to go to Neverland Ranch, I see they had a Pinfari death machine.