Adventure World New Coaster - Abyss

colliric_855

Went down to AW today. Park was humming along nicely despite a fairly overcast day. The Abyss looks good, although I didn't see any testing taking place. They are still erecting the statues, which eerily wobble in the wind.

Yet to be stuck/sealed to the base I suspect. May not happen until they are properly painted that dark-grey(or light-black?) color the rest of the ride is. After all that's the same color of the figure in the ride-logo.

Sealing usually happens after painting, at least according to "wikihow" on "how to build a concrete statue"... That's so that the various parts can be painted easier(without mistakes).

And concrete statues have to be sealed on site(as they are shipped in parts, etc), even garden statues have to be sealed to solid ground(if being installed permanently).

So the "eerily wobbling" might be normal at this pre-paint stage.

Edited by colliric_855

They won't be made out of concrete! A concrete statue that size would weigh at least a tonne. That guy in pic 1 above must be pretty strong if they are.

They'll be made out of a foam sort of material like Weta Workshop use in making all their "concrete" parts.

I'm sure there were photos of the guys making them spraying them with something (paint?).

Who said they're not finished and need a coat of something?

This coaster is looking fantastic for Australia.

They won't be made out of concrete! A concrete statue that size would weigh at least a tonne. That guy in pic 1 above must be pretty strong if they are.

They'll be made out of a foam sort of material like Weta Workshop use in making all their "concrete" parts.

I'm sure there were photos of the guys making them spraying them with something (paint?).

Who said they're not finished and need a coat of something?

This coaster is looking fantastic for Australia.

Note the location of where the guy in the picture is....

Next to what is obviously the launch event tent.

You can put two and two together there.... and probably say, that's most likely a prop for the launch event being moved into place. It looks very diffrent to the ones being used in the outdoor section of the ride.

I'd say that's probably a Polystyrene(or some other similar material) prop.

Edited by colliric_855

Note the location of where the guy in the picture is....

Next to the launch event tent.

You can put two and two together there.... and probably say, that's most likely a prop for the launch event being moved into place. It looks very diffrent to the ones being used in the outdoor section of the ride.

I'd say that's probably a Polystyrene(or some other similar material) prop.

Is that your final answer, locked in RWC :P ?

Edited by Gazza

Is that your final answer, locked in RWC :P ?

Lol! yep!

A big launch event coming soon, and a big white "wedding/Event" tent being put up right near the thing that is the object of that event....

Edit: And on closer inspection the second pic proves me right anyway.... Just look at it a little closer.

Edited by colliric_855

Ok for starters thats not a launch event tent, that's one they've had set up as a work area for touching stuff up, theming bins etc (And why on earth would they have a launch event tent set up weeks in advance :wacko: ?

thumb_dsc06050_1.jpg

Secondly, there's a crapload of statues already set up in the ride area on concrete footings. If you recall from the Today Tonight story, a firm from the Phillipines was doing all the theming sculpting. They aren't just stuff for a launch event.

thumb_dsc06063_2.jpg

Finally, theme park theming is typically made out of carved foam (Eg the Gargoyles in Scooby Doo are perhaps the most comparable example), not solid concrete.

Look at the guys carrying this piece.

thumb_dsc06044_1.jpg

thumb_dsc06083.jpg

Notice how the inside is just hollow.

Edited by Gazza

Edit: And on closer inspection the second pic proves me right anyway.... Just look at it a little closer.

Proves me right don't you mean, you didn't go back and edit your posts until I made mine, so obvs you needed a little extra help on this one.

Why were you talking about concrete statues in the first place? How is that relevant at all?

Sorry Gazza, Parkz is stuffing up on me today(not reload the page correctly after me posting!). SQL database problem I suspect? Sorry, here is my proper response: Actually I agree with you.... Never said they weren't hollow. Also that tent is indeed an Events style tent(clear "windows" as well as it's size show that it's a standard events tent), so it's obviously staying in place there, and most likely will be used for the launch even though it's being used for storage at the moment. Some events tents are permanently setup(waiting for bookings), others are setup for rehersals(sometimes weeks in advance), and in this situation it's probably Adventure World's own Events tent perhaps setup early to help the workers with covered storage(as you have pointed out) as well as plan for the coming launch event

Edited by colliric_855

Actually I agree with you.... Never said they weren't hollow.

Umm, you did:

"And concrete statues have to be sealed on site"

And

" that's most likely a prop for the launch event being moved into place. It looks very diffrent to the ones being used in the outdoor section of the ride"

In other words, you were saying they were using hollow props for the launch event, but concrete ones on the outdoor section of the ride and that they look different (No they don't look different actually)

Proves me right don't you mean, you didn't go back and edit your posts until I made mine, so obvs you needed a little extra help on this one. Why were you talking about concrete statues in the first place? How is that relevant at all?

The other poster noted the statues, apparently unpainted, were swaying in the wind. Usually that's because they have yet to sealed after painting.

Umm, you did: "And concrete statues have to be sealed on site" And " that's most likely a prop for the launch event being moved into place. It looks very diffrent to the ones being used in the outdoor section of the ride" In other words, you were saying they were using hollow props for the launch event, but concrete ones on the outdoor section of the ride and that they look different (No they don't look different actually)

Actually I specifically said that it looked like a typical "Launch event Prop". And it does look different. Looked like Polystyrene to me. Also Gazza... Concrete statues are mostly hollow these days. Especially modern ones. They're usually moulded. Ever broken one?

I reckon they could do with a couple less statues in exchange for a little more (or any) theming on the shed

I don't think so personally. Kinda agree it's a bit bland, but that's only for the walk up path. Edited by colliric_855

Didn't say you were.

Speaking of the Events Tent though, I actually also found that a bit weird they'd set one up almost a month early actually(even though events tents can be setup early). So perhaps you might still be right about that. Perhaps they're using it for the storage because it's the only one they have that's big enough to store stuff for this particular ride, even though it's their "outdoor special events" tent....

Unless they're expecting a really big crowd(as in the thousands) at the launch? That's another reason they might have set it up early, to train their events staff for an event for a bigger crowd than they're normally use to? Or to help with the launch event's own theming, could take a week or two to plan and put up? that also obviously may explain the amount of bins..... Surely the ride itself doesn't need that many(I count seven, mostly incomplete, in that pic)? how many bins does Superman Escape have?

Unless, and this is a real possibility given the ride is their star attraction now, it's being setup early to be the main entertainment area of their entire Fright Night events.

I know currently of a religious group that have setup a huge events tent up in America that's almost 3 to 4 months in advance of an event where that particular group is expecting 5000+ people..... So an early setup is certainly possible for that reason too.

P.S. Has Parkz been worked on recently? Or having a few issues? Just noticed after I edit post, it removes quote tags from quoted posts?

Edited by colliric_855

Colliric you clearly said earlier that the statues were all made of concrete, and needed painting and sealing.

I tried to point out that they would be made of a foam material, and that they were already finished.

You then tried to tell us that the statue I used as photo evidence was just a one off prop and somehow is much different to the others.

Gazza then provided a magnificent post, which should have closed off this debate.

Yet you still are hammering absurd things like "unsealed concrete sways in the wind".

Seriously mate, if you were right and these things were made out of concrete, and weighed lets say 300kg each, how would a maybe 2mm thick coat of concrete sealer stop a 700kg statue from moving in the wind? I'm thinking physics here. How does that help?

Also if all that theming was made of concrete, what sort of freight do you think it cost them to get the 40++ pieces of theming there from Asia?

The tent is probably there so they can do a bit of paint touch ups out of the 700km/hr winds which are causing the 300kg concrete statues to sway in the wind.

Wouldn't want to be one of the guys installing those statues at the moment. Sketchy job that'd be..

It really is the most bold-faced and shining example that theres no sense trying to prove a point and reason with this retard.

Is there anyway we can set up a bot to 'autoreply' to any post he makes with two words ("you're wrong) and just leave it at that? then no matter what he says, he always gets a response that says he's wrong without anyone else having to waste their time on it?

Better yet - Just set the forums to auto-delete?

I'm sure theres a few things we could do.

On another note - did anyone notice it started out as 'obviously the launch event tent' and ended as an 'event style tent'?

It really is the most bold-faced and shining example that theres no sense trying to prove a point and reason with this retard.

Is there anyway we can set up a bot to 'autoreply' to any post he makes with two words ("you're wrong) and just leave it at that? then no matter what he says, he always gets a response that says he's wrong without anyone else having to waste their time on it?

Better yet - Just set the forums to auto-delete?

I'm sure theres a few things we could do.

On another note - did anyone notice it started out as 'obviously the launch event tent' and ended as an 'event style tent'?

I applaud this initiative and can only hope that something like this can be put into action. Seriously this tool is a plague on these boards and really needs to be appropriately dealt with. His constant hijacking of threads is becoming a depressingly regular occurrence and you only need to see the above postings for proof in the pudding!! The guy needs to be curtailed......

Truth be told, I'm sick of this place for now... You guys keep bloody posting essays in response to me well after the I perceive the conversion is finished. If that "You're wrong" thing was put in and you guys were locked from responding it would be fan-bloody-tastic..... Want me to write it?

Thought I was banned before. Guess someone blocked my Phone IP? Way to go, dumbass!

Wasn't going to respond to this thread, till whoever it was blocked my Phone IP... What a dumbass you are, whoever did that!

Do a proper job next time!

Edit: Here... I'll do it for you... I need a break from this forum for now, pisses me off too much at the moment.

Edited by colliric_855

Truth be told, I'm sick of this place for now... You guys keep bloody posting essays in response to me well after the I perceive the conversion is finished. If that "You're wrong" thing was put in and you guys were locked from responding it would be fan-bloody-tastic..... Want me to write it?

Thought I was banned before. Guess someone blocked my Phone IP? Way to go, dumbass!

Wasn't going to respond to this thread, till whoever it was blocked my Phone IP... What a dumbass you are, whoever did that!

Do a proper job next time!

Edit: Here... I'll do it for you... I need a break from this forum for now, pisses me off too much at the moment.

Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out!!! Fuckwit.................Good riddance!

If his profile is deleted, will it delete all of his posts?

Yes, but we all survived last time.

----------------------------

Interesting to see how this turns out. There seems to be a lot of the same statue, but I'm sure it will all work into place in the end.

I just hope the parks on the coast get reminded by this about what theming can actually do for a ride.