Dreamworld AVPX Replacement

• 4 weeks later...

Dreamworld’s newest and scariest attraction, ZOMBIE EVILUTION is about to evolve into stage 2: THE BATTLE FOR KEVIL HILL.

With Kevil Hill being overtaken by zombies, the fightback to reclaim this town is about to start. Transforming into a laser tag challenge, the CDC (Centre for Disease Control) are now recruiting for soldiers to join the CCU (Cryo Containment Unit) and claim back J.B. Kevil’s utopian city. The zombies will not go without a fight… they too are looking for the undead to help hold their ground in the battle for Kevil Hill.

With massive crowds flocking to see the cryo zombies in Kevil Hill at Dreamworld, the repercussions are now evident as they’ve been consuming more ‘undead’ and spreading in immeasurable numbers

The war will commence on Friday 18th October.

ZOMBIE EVILUTION will be the only laser tag challenge to be staged in a town across two buildings with two storeys, taking on even the most seasoned laser tag fans. The challenge will be set for all Dreamworld guests willing to join the fight: become a cryo zombie or a CCU soldier.

From the Dreamworld Website.

Dreamworld’s newest and scariest (rehashed, old and tired) attraction , ZOMBIE EVILUTION (Alien vs. Predator Experience) is about to evolve into stage 2 (return to how it was a year ago): THE BATTLE FOR KEVIL HILL.

With Kevil Hill being overtaken by zombies, the fightback to reclaim this town is about to start. Transforming into (back to) a laser tag challenge, the CDC (Centre for Disease Control) are now recruiting for soldiers to join the CCU (Cryo Containment Unit) and claim back J.B. Kevil’s utopian city. The zombies (aliens) will not go without a fight… they too are looking for the undead to help hold their ground in the battle for Kevil Hill.

I know it's kinda hard to come up with a storyline for a laser tag challenge where the 'bad guys' are just other guests from the park, but really - the setting is different but the storyline is IDENTICAL to last time. Hopefully the re-designed maze is enough for the attraction to last until the next re-theme.

I first went in to Zombie Evilution at Screamworld was a pretty good maze, I thought the theming was very well done, the scares were very good. I liked the theatre scare the most, that one got me good. I think this will do as a Laster Tag but sounds kind of random at the same time... Will have to test it out next time I'm at Dreamworld!

Is the maze as good as the ones at this years Fright Night? If so, which one can it be compared to (scare and detail wise)?

The detail in the maze is good but Movie World has better detail. It can be compared to The Walking Dead although there's no towns in this year mazes...

The detail in the maze is good but Movie World has better detail. It can be compared to The Walking Dead although there's no towns in this year mazes...

Which is kinda funny when you think about it -

Construction -

Movie World usually puts the mazes together about a month before hand or so (going off when the scooby maze begins construction)

DreamWorld shut down AVPX what seems like 6 months ago

Operation -

Movie World will run their mazes for about 5 hours a night, for about 8-10 nights

Dreamworld ran their Evilution scare maze every day for a month, and will continue to operate the maze as themed (with minor changes and modifications) as a laser skirmish maze for at least the next several months.

Ranking

Despite the far more temporary nature of the Fright Night mazes, the effort, detail, theming and finesse, by all accounts, everyone I've spoken to who has 'done both' declares similar to the post above - that Movie World has better detail, as well as better scares.

The only thing that counts in DW's favour in this particular comparison is that DW offers Evilution as part of general admission, and not as a separate gate night-time admission, so I guess that's part of it, but the counter argument to that is that as a permanent attraction, rather than a seasonal one, it probably should have had more time, money and effort put into it.

You could also argue given the insane revenue MW would bring in from 8-10 nights of sold out Fright Nights they can easily justify a large capex expenditure on maze fit outs, whereas with DW being included on standard admission, there is no additional revenue source created, other than at initial launch when some people may visit the park due to the new attention - but most of those would have annual passes anyway so there is still no revenue growth

Just done the laser tag it's better than avpx. They have removed some gates so now we can go anywhere we want around the area the briefing bays were open and there's no scare-actors anymore!! Worth checking out ;) P.S when i get in i will get a pic of the briefing bays ;) - Ninja Oh and good luck coming today with a parking spot at Dreamworld!!!

You could also argue given the insane revenue MW would bring in from 8-10 nights of sold out Fright Nights they can easily justify a large capex expenditure on maze fit outs, whereas with DW being included on standard admission, there is no additional revenue source created, other than at initial launch when some people may visit the park due to the new attention - but most of those would have annual passes anyway so there is still no revenue growth

But that can also be debated - with the high number of VIP passes entitled to free entry to fright nights, I don't know that they would make an INSANE amount of revenue - Certainly it's profitable though.

Also - Capex is short for Capital Expenditure... expenses of a capital nature. Capex is a roller coaster, or even just a new train for the coaster. It's purchasing a long-term asset, which must be depreciated over time (ie: you can't claim an immediate tax deduction against it in the current year).

The costs of establishing these mazes would mostly be non-capital in nature, as the costs of the individual items for the mazes would be below capital thresholds, or alternatively items hired in on a temporary basis (as I imagine things like the cattle rails and the temporary fencing would be).

Although I don't know the inside details on how VRTP finances Fright Nights, purely from principles of good business, I cannot see that much of Fright Nights would be capital expenses when they are by nature temporary attractions...

Yeah I will - the third change will be a staggered change over the next 12-18 months, whereby the careful attention to detail is casually destroyed by bored guests, the special effects will die due to lack of maintenance, and the attraction will close after this forum complaining for 6 months that it is tired and run down, at the end of the staggered period to be 'transformed into a new and exciting attraction

Well CAPEX, is any expenditiure that adds value to the business, as compared to Expenses which are costs in curred in running the business, and Stock which are items that you sell.

So a Maze is still CAPEX, as is a Parade Float or a new Costume...

I think it actually works the opposite way to what people think. If something has to last a long time (ie DW maze) then it HAS to lack the finer details because it needs to be durable, the fiddly bits just won't last the distance. Maybe peoplr underestimate how much damage a MW maze suffers in a night of Fright Nights.