Day at Dreamworld

I visited Dreamworld yesterday and there were a few things which I believe are worth pointing out. Firstly, the speakers up the lifthill weren't working all day. They were only on once when I rode and in the afternoon, all the sound effects were off in the station and queue as well. Also, the 1st row of the 2nd car are still not being used. Does anyone know the reason for this? 971624_514170041971174_687997607_n.png I also went for a walk around the Australian Wildlife Experience for the first time and there was an empty lot of land next to the rainforest section. Obviously it won't become a new ride but the area is fenced up so there might be some new animals on their way? 941102_514170125304499_2106738045_n.jpg5845_514170068637838_2031124824_n.jpg While around the back of the lake I saw the old paddle boat left to rot away. Even though I never rode it (and probably wouldn't if it was still operating) it is sad to see a part of the park's history rotting away. 946425_514170108637834_1030685378_n.jpg I also got this photo of the Giant Drop from the base of the tower. 972153_514170118637833_465338580_n.jpg (All the photos were taken on my iPhone so the quality isn't great)

Buzzsaw has the first row of the 2nd carriage closed off when it's running with 1 operator so that they can cross platform sides while checking the restraints etc as it's the only safe place to do so. Park operational procedures would be in place for that, same as with Superman: Escape as the operators can only ever cross over an empty row with harnesses unlocked (to prevent a dispatch) and can't cross the very front row (in case of a fall)

Buzzsaw has the first row of the 2nd carriage closed off when it's running with 1 operator so that they can cross platform sides while checking the restraints etc as it's the only safe place to do so. Park operational procedures would be in place for that, same as with Superman: Escape as the operators can only ever cross over an empty row with harnesses unlocked (to prevent a dispatch) and can't cross the very front row (in case of a fall)

But being the weekend they had two operators for parts of the day and they never opened. I was there at the beginning of the last school holidays and it was still the case.

Thats just pathetic.

If you can't run a ride with one operator because they need space to be able to cross over - and the only way you can do that is to close off a row of seats - thereby further reducing the capacity on an already atrocious capacity attraction - don't do it.

When Wonderland started reducing the number of operators required on a ride for safe operation, they made numerous modifications to many rides (Bush Beast, Zodiac to name a couple) so that the operator could run it by themselves. In the case of Bush Beast, the op-booth was rebuilt off the side of the station so the operator could see the lift hill, guests in the queue, brake run and dispatch. In the case of Zodiac, the booth, which was positioned several metres off the ground with windows overhead to observe the ride in motion - they brought the control panel down to ground level.

If Dreamworld cannot run Buzzsaw on one operator without closing off a row of seats, then they need to construct modify the station... perhaps like a floorless coaster station, where a floor comes up and around the train. They've got room to do SOMETHING like that, instead of closing a row of seats to convert it into a walkway - HOW RIDICULOUS IS THIS???

This just reinforces once again why I am not renewing my world pass. I've had VIP since they came out (Q150 before that) but only bought one world pass (two year platinum). Those two years are enough to make me realise that I don't want to go to a park that treats its guests like this.

Shame dreamworld... shame.

This just reinforces once again why I am not renewing my world pass. I've had VIP since they came out (Q150 before that) but only bought one world pass (two year platinum). Those two years are enough to make me realise that I don't want to go to a park that treats its guests like this.

Shame dreamworld... shame.

Yeah I had a platinum pass too and I know I won't be renewing. Getting a Discovery Passport instead.

The best part of my Dreamworld World Pass was Skypoint. I haven't yet been to WWW will do so before my pass expires since I also won't renew. Dreamworld really disappointed me on my fist visit in years last November when I saw the poorly placed motorcoaster, poorly themed and placed vintage cars, decaying paddle steamer, abandoned Blue Lagoon, plant life growing on the Mine Ride, old chair lift poles and awful tasting food.

I haven't been to Dreamworld for about 10 years, we've had MW/SW/WW VIP Passes for about 3 years, but were thinking of having a change for 12 months. It's at the point the 4 year old is saying "Do we have to go to MW again?"

Do you think there'd be enough there to entertain a 4 year old? (She's beyond Wiggles, and bang on 110cm). Has happily gone on Road Runner coaster since she was 3, but doesn't like dark rides (freaked out at the internal part of Wild West Falls, and refused to go on Scooby or Justice League.)

Go on the weekend or during school holidays so you can ride the vintage cars and train. The Rapid Ride has a very dark tunnel and there are a few dark areas on the log ride. For the kids there is Wiggles World and DreamWorks kids, be careful with the Pandamodum as it may be too rough and not many people join the mild line.

Log Ride has no sound except for the creaking of the log as it climbs the lift hill but not sure about rapid ride, there used to be thunder and lighting but they may not be there anymore. Thunder River Rapids does have a very dark tunnel - all you can see is black and some miners with really bad faces... but it's still one of the best rides. If visiting on an off peak weekday the ride does close at 4pm same with log ride.

Keeping in mind I've only been to DW a couple of times ever, but the last time I went on Thunder River Rapids it was in the vicinity of 25 years ago. It was closed for maintenance on subsequent visits, so I'm pleased it still exists.

It's changed a little cosmetically(and not for the better), but the ride experience is still pretty awesome. Been on it three times. 1988, 2004, 2012... Still my favourite ride at the park. Edited by colliric_855

Back in 2004 I had a seasonal job at Dreamworld and they said it is the most popular ride in the park. It's not as great as it used to be but still good. 1min into this video show the Thunder River Rapid Ride back in 1987! The animatronics are no longer there and the rapids look a bit rougher than they are today. NOTE that the vintage cars moved to a new location and no longer have any theming, the Toboggan is gone but you can still see the old pool, the Thunderbolt is also gone.

Edited by Gary86

• 2 weeks later...