Luna Park Sydney - the future with Wet'n'Wild

JulieLovis

How about something like the Techno Jump? I know its not a white knuckle thrill machine but I've been on it several times & it was always fun to ride. I think it would be a great addition to the park & one that most of the family could enjoy. I also think it would fit where the Flying Saucer once was. It would sure give the residents something to byaych about huh? :D

I know I may be getting off topic some what and I do apologize. But I know that the pad that the tumble bug sits on cant take too much weight. The Trokia is a heavy girl and the pad can only take around five more ton.

I'm no concrete expert but I did work for a park for a number of years. I remember having a conversation with Tony.M ( long serving worker) at a time when the Trokia was not running ( had been two months ) and talks about it going back then where on the board. He said the issue would always be getting a lighter ride. Well when we think of it technology has come a long way.

Also about the UFO going i'm disappointed. Such a great ride to operate but terrible to get balanced correctly. It was the hidden gem of the park really and in such a unique place. I hope what ever ride eventually goes in its place will be well worth it.

Although I think some of the offices for GR are still behind the facade behind the old UFO site

Interesting! Of course for any new ride to be placed on the slab. it would mean the removal/relocation of the Tumblebug. The concrete slab , as it stands, originally supported the Big Dipper station and track supports. If it can handle the weight of the Tumblebug, then I am confident it could accommodate a new compact coaster, if one was to be installed. The question that needs to be asked, however , is can the Flying saucer "pad" handle the weight of the Tumblebug? If it can then this would be my choice on where to relocate it in the park, freeing up the necessary space on the Tumblebug site for a new coaster.

You are correct in saying that some of the LPS offices are still located behind the Flying saucer site.

Agree with your comments RE the Flying Saucer. They are such a unique ride and now that LPS unit is gone, there are only about 12 left in existence.

Here is some info about the Huss UFO taken from Dave Burton's Amusement Extravaganza page.

"The HUSS UFO premiered in 1978 based on their successful Enterprise design. With passengers standing up and facing inwards, an entirely different ride sensation results to the enterprise; similar to a Roundup but with a greater diameter and incline of 87°

Holding 48 standing adults or children in twelve 4-person gondolas, this 20m/66ft diameter HUSS monster holds a commanding presence as one of the best standup gravity ride sensations around.

UFO was never quite as popular as the Enterprise with approximately 12 units in existence mainly in Europe, two in North America and one in Sth Africa America."

How about something like the Techno Jump? I know its not a white knuckle thrill machine but I've been on it several times & it was always fun to ride. I think it would be a great addition to the park & one that most of the family could enjoy. I also think it would fit where the Flying Saucer once was.

I actually think a Techno Jump would be an excellent choice for a ride at LPS, but I don't think it should be placed on the Flying Saucer site. Techno Jumps are great family rides, a little bit unique and also no park in Australia has one. I think it would prove extremely popular.

post-30-0-60288800-1414148230_thumb.jpg

I'm sure there's way less than 12 Ufos that exist. I do know one exists in Canada.

Considering the Flying Saucer was the only thrill ride able to be ridden by green wristbands, it would be appropriate to replace the ride with something of the same appeal. A Techno jump could work out an excellent replacement for the Tumble Bug if that is to occur (just a prediction).

Maybe they could bring back a name from one of the old rides? I'm still sure they will unfortunately install a Larson Super Loop which Six Flags is about to do on the old site. My earlier Screamin Swing suggestion is great.

I'm sure there's way less than 12 Ufos that exist. I do know one exists in Canada

Oh really?? Care to back that up with any solid evidence? I am more inclined to believe Dave Burton and his reputable research on his website than someone who has no solid reputation at all.

A Techno jump could work out an excellent replacement for the Tumble Bug if that is to occur (just a prediction).

Yeah I do like the Techno Jump idea but I am thinking that Tumblebug will be around for little while yet.

Maybe they could bring back a name from one of the old rides? I'm still sure they will unfortunately install a Larson Super Loop which Six Flags is about to do on the old site

You do realise that Tumblebug, Flying Saucer, U- Drive and Spider are all recycled from historical rides of yesteryear? This is not a new idea. I would , however, support new ride installations with theming acknowledging the parks history-The Whip, Hey Dey, The Wild Cat, Calypso are all names that spring to mind that could be re-used.

What makes you so sure that they will install a Larson Super Loop? There has been nothing from the park and nothing to indicate that this is going to happen, other than your idle speculation. Once again, groundless with no evidence to back up. Just because Six Flags are installing several of this type of ride has no bearing whatsoever on what LPS will do. I agree 100% with GoGoboy- it would be a terrible idea if they were even thinking of installing one.

My earlier Screamin Swing suggestion is great

My mother always told me that self praise is no recommendation......

FYI, At least 2 are known to exist, in Canada's Wonderland and South Africa's Gold Reef City.

I don't like Super Loops either. This is just my idle speculation- it shouldn't occur I will tell you that.

And I know the Tumble Bug, Flying Saucer, Spider and U Drive are named after older rides.

They probably won't name the new ride after an old one- the only name that will stay for a bit is the Big Dipper (that purely depends if they will keep the entrance)

FYI, At least 2 are known to exist, in Canada's Wonderland and South Africa's Gold Reef City.

Ok so you know 2. Any reader of Wikipedia could tell you that. So just because you know of only 2, that is your credible evidence for stating that there is definitely waaaaay less than 12? Please. Its hardly exhaustive research. As I stated before, I know Dave Burton and he has proven to be very reliable with the information contained on his website. If it states that the number is close to 12 then I am going to take that at face value. Sorry to say, it is far more reliable than anything you have posted so far, in my eyes.

And I know the Tumble Bug, Flying Saucer, Spider and U Drive are named after older rides

Glad to hear it. Because it certainly did not sound like it was knowledge you had in your other post.

They probably won't name the new ride after an old one- the only name that will stay for a bit is the Big Dipper (that purely depends if they will keep the entrance)

And why not? That's putting the horse before the cart a bit isn't it? It depends on the ride. Depends on many other factors. Only LPS management could confidently answer this question with any accuracy. The point is- I don't know...and neither do you.

Please explain also WHY they would remove the Big Dipper entrance. You have mentioned it several times in your postings- you might want to see it removed, or think that it is superfluous to LPS's needs but you have yet to come up with ONE credible reason as to why the park SHOULD remove it.

As far as I am concerned, it is an impressive piece of theming that aesthetically, is very important to the Midway. If they were going to remove it, the time would have been when Big Dipper was relocated to Dreamworld. I would suggest that it is here to stay and will be incorporated into any forthcoming new ride for the area.

I found out those were permanent. I found multiple travelling UFO units, along with one in France. I'm sure 6 exist now.

I've always thought unused buildings (like the entrance and Flying Saucer lighthouse) are useless- they even wasted their time repainting the entrance.

I had a look at the 1995 photos, and noticed the entrance was red and not blue like it is today.

It appears that there is an issue with LPS Hair Raiser ride. According to an article in the Daily Telegraph, the ride was built without D.A approval from the planning department and could be ordered to be dismantled.

Here is the link to the article.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/north-shore/luna-parks-hair-raiser-could-be-torn-down-after-revelations-it-had-no-da-approval/story-fngr8h9d-1227104814114

It appears that there was some confusion over LPS interpretation of their existing approval to make alterations to rides for operational reasons-which has been rejected by the department.

The article also has one of the village idiot residents making an appearance.

Hopefully this is just media over hype and they get the approval quickly- it would be a tragedy for Hair Raiser to be dismantled.

I do fear for any further new rides that the park wants to introduce-surely the park has a good legal team that can sort out this mess!

Not happy!!!!

Oh no! Just when it looks as though Luna Park is on the right track with new rides and various positive improvements... Enter the residents. I hope this doesn't stunt future improvements and new rides that the park will benefit greatly from. They have been doing such a great job recently, this is very disappointing! Also I was at the Opera House last Tuesday night and noticed the Hair Raiser now has a multi coloured and very cool dancing light package!!!

For the most part it is Brad. LPS is protected by legislation which limits any litigation against the park from noise complaints. You will notice that the residents have abandoned any claim against the park for noise issues and even in this latest saga, noise has not been cited as a complaint. Several lawsuits against the park for noise issues have been defeated in the high court and that avenue is now closed to them. I am sure there are limits to the legislation, but under normal operating conditions, the park is free to operate without fear of legal challenge in this regard.

I am annoyed , however, that LPS management have let this oversight occur and put Hair Raiser and themselves in this position!! It's a case of bad mismanagement in my opinion!

Damn what horrible news this is for LPS. While I can accept LPS's mis-interpretation of what they can and can't do but you'd still think they'd double check with the planning dept anyway just to be doubly sure.

I take it that Hair Raiser is now shut down for the immediate future and hopefully the DA application process and community consultation period doesn't take long but judging by that wet fish in the article then I'm sure they'll find reasons to try and get it canned

I would imagine a large developer such as brookfield multiplex would not undertake a development such as hair raiser without adaquate approvals and certification. Planning department have obviously issued a blanket approval previously to cover holiday rides, etc, and now they're reneging on it following wealthy resident complaints. If you have approval to bring rides in & out then why would they double check? theyve been bringing rides in for years!! There is nothing on the Lps website about the ride being closed, so It must still be operating in the interim.

The residents should get over themselves and move away from LPS. They should just quit their whining.

I read the article and welp, they are going to probably base the future of the ride off the whiny neighbours.

“[Community feedback] will be an important part of the Department’s decision about the future of the ride, which will be based on merits,”

It's not going to succeed isn't it?

First goes the Big Dipper, now possibly this. It could even affect the possibility of the future rides.

Just when they were getting it right...

I'm sure that all things are taken into consideration - especially things such as the viability of the park to develop, and the previous court rulings on the rights of the residents who are complaining.

Just because locals complain about development - doesn't mean the council will quash it if it is in the best interests of the community at large.

As I've mentioned previously - my wife is construction administrator for Queensland's number 1 builder. A recent DA received several objections, and these are all taken into account by council when making their decision. In many cases this leads to certain conditions being placed on the developer.

In the case of LPS - concerns over noise, for example, may require the park to install scream shields (anyone remember Maliboomer?) or set certain conditions as to the hours of operation. They could also force LPS to install a screen to block the ride from view - however most residents would probably prefer see a small white tower to a large blank wall.

Whilst the council can technically refuse the DA, and require the park to remove it - it is my wife's experience that in these situations, unless the structure is defective, dangerous or otherwise unsafely constructed or operated - its very unlikely the council would make them remove it.

*Sometimes it is better to ask forgiveness, than permission...

Agree 100% AlexB. In this situation , where a large commercial venture is at risk, cooler heads must prevail. LPS must focus on firstly ensuring that Hair Raiser receives the proper planning permission to ensure it remains standing and operating. They must then do a self audit on their operations to keep this situation from ever occurring again. Hopefully it will be sorted quickly and with a minimum of fuss so that LPS can focus on their future plan of renewal for their rides and attractions. They cannot afford to lose momentum because of this.

Hair Raiser currently remains open and operating as per normal. Lets hope this is a postive sign.

If LPS has to tear it down then they have no one to blame but themselves. They should've made sure that all the DA's were signed before commencing construction. In my opinion, this park has been declining steadily for years which is so sad to see given the parks history. As I see it, they have a collection of rapidly aging carnival rides that desperately need replacing if they want to continue operating.

If LPS has to tear it down then they have no one to blame but themselves. They should've made sure that all the DA's were signed before commencing construction. In my opinion, this park has been declining steadily for years which is so sad to see given the parks history. As I see it, they have a collection of rapidly aging carnival rides that desperately need replacing if they want to continue operating.

Thanks for your views DisneyDoll. As I said earlier it is unlikely the park will have to remove it. Reading the article, it was LPS's view that their current planning arrangements meant they did not have to do a DA for construction of the hair raiser.

Council have already said that while they disagree with how LPS have interpreted and applied those planning arrangements, they have accepted that this was the view LPS had.

In other words - LPS did not believe they did anything wrong, and thought they had done all the right things. Council has stated they believe them.

So if that were the case - why should they have 'made sure that all the DA's were signed before commencing construction' when it was there belief that one wasn't needed?

Bah to Firefox crashes. there goes my post.

In a nutshell - it is an unreasonable expectation for a developer to constantly 'double check' to make sure their existing approvals cover what they are doing - if they have legal advice that says it does... and don't kid yourself - an organisation such as Brookfield Multiplex would have clearly reviewed their existing approvals documents and paid very handsomely for advice on whether new approvals were needed. Somewhere a corporate lawyer is getting his ass handed to him... but clearly - they would have "double checked" as you say with their legal team, and been satisfied with the response.

If every developer had to do this several times for every development - every level of government would experience delays in their planning areas over having to process such multiple requests - blowing out approvals processes from months to decades causing economic growth to grind to a halt.

Nobody is saying LPS did something wrong intentionally. THis is simply an 'oops'. This happens ALL THE TIME in construction and development when an administering body realises that something has been done in a way that should have received an extra rubber stamp.

You are correct in this- LPS have identified the need to replace their current ride line up due to age. The Hair Raiser is the start of this renewal and hopefully the permission/DA issue with it will not delay the plans LPS have in place.

Also, I don't think AlexB meant anything untoward by his post- he was just expressing his opinion whilst also recognising yours. I have seen first hand when AlexB DOES get personal ( and they are usually for the right reasons)- and this simply isn't one of those times. Its great to have someone like yourself on these boards with such vast experience and you are obviously a Luna Park fan. Looking forward to your future posts and views! :)