Luna Park Sydney - the future with Wet'n'Wild

JulieLovis

Just a heads up, but I rode Superman Ultimate Flight at SFDK and would definitely support the earlier suggestion that LPS should get one.

Despite the ride looking quite short, the fact is has the 2nd loop (Compared to Buzzsaw) means it doesn't feel repetitive because it doesn't repeatedly cover the same section of track over and over. In some ways I guess it felt more suprising...After going through the inline twist I was expecting subconsciously to whiz back through the station, but there is the 2nd non inverting loop.

The vertical twists are pretty snappy too.

Just looked this up on RCDB. Looks very impressive. This is the ride DreamWorld SHOULD have got. Would love a clone for LPS but options would be very limited as to where to position it. The only 2 positions off the top of my head where it could go are:

1) Out the back in Maloney's Corner directly parallel to the back of Coney Island

or

2) The ride looks like it has a very narrow footprint and is 863 feet in length. It COULD be a perfect fit for the space that runs in between the Tumblebug slab/Big Top area and the cliff face. This is currently used as an access/maintenance staff corridor but these could be moved further down. Its not that long that it would not encroach upon the current LPS offices and you could have access and the queue line go up and over the Tumblebug slab. It is quite tall at 150 feet versus the previous Big Dipper at 131 feet but if it was positioned in this corridor then half of the ride would be enveloped by the cliff face on one side and the Big Top on the other, so screams and sounds should be quite localised.

All in all a winner!!! Hopefully LPS is listening to our suggestions!!

• 2 weeks later...

Do you really think they'd be brave enough to put a ride of that scale so close to those apartments!?

As far as I'm aware there has been no further developments on the former Flying Saucer location and no further suggestion of any other new developments at LPS.. Unless someone has any news otherwise??

Does anyone know if LPS has had a similar downturn to Jamberoo with the opening of wet and wild?

Do you really think they'd be brave enough to put a ride of that scale so close to those apartments!?

As far as I'm aware there has been no further developments on the former Flying Saucer location and no further suggestion of any other new developments at LPS.. Unless someone has any news otherwise??Does anyone know if LPS has had a similar downturn to Jamberoo with the opening of wet and wild?

Interesting question JulieLovis. LPS are well within their rights to put in a ride of this scale and legally, there would be little impediment that the residents could do to stop it. However, I have maintained that LPS will never enter the large coaster game again after the experience of the former Big Dipper. The only way I see LPS getting another coaster is by installing any number of the smaller,compact models that are available today. A ride like Superman Ultimate Flight Deck could most certainly be able to be installed into the park, but at the moment, it remains very much on the wish list. Peter Hearne, managing director of LPS, has certainly flagged their intentions to try and reach the best compromise with residents in regards to rides, when he stated that Hair Raiser could have been built twice as high, but they chose the middle ground. For all intents and purposes, this tact appears to be working, as the introduction of Hair Raiser has been very smooth with not one objection raised by any nearby resident. Hair Raiser ultimately, could prove to be an important testing ground for future attractions at LPS

i think in it's location, Hair Raiser is a perfect height. The proximity to the water really elevates the thrills IMO. If they'd gone twice as tall, it'd possibly exceed the bridge pylon... and I think that'd be tarnishing the harbour skyline.

LPS should always try to maintain the 'seaside pier' type carnival that they're so known for. low-profile coasters - like the mouse are perfect for the atmosphere. I never saw CycloneDipper in situ at LPS (does anyone have any photos taken of LPS from out on the harbour when it was there?), but Looking at it at Dreamworld, the skyline of the park (even against the cliff) I can't imagine it and it just doesn't seem a right fit for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Great photos MIckeyD but I don't think they are exactly what AlexB was looking for. Suprisingly, there does not appear to be many photos of Dipper at LPS on the net. It took a while, but I managed to dig some from other sources in my collection-namely Sam Marshall's "Just for Fun 70th anniversary" edition book and Edwin Dickinson's "The story of Australian Rollercoasters" (which is highly recommended by the way!)

I have included some pics that show Dipper from an aerial view, both side and from front on, also a pic from construction of the Dipper in early 1995 and for comparison, aerial pics of LPS in its various incarnations dating from the 70's,80's and 90's until present. These illustrate graphically the changes to LPS's skyline over the years,both in the park and above it. ( See the gradual encroachment of the high rises over the decades)

What is interesting to note about Big Dipper is that of course, it was custom built and custom designed for LPS's unique footprint. Big Dipper was designed by Arrow's Ron Toomer for this very reason.

Aesthetically, I feel it looks far superior at LPS than what it does as Cyclone at Dreamworld, although, as WWW has organically grown around Cyclone, it has lost that feeling that it was just "plonked" in the first available space.

Hope these pics give you some insight into Big Dipper's footprint at LPS AlexB. Cheers.

post-30-0-76615900-1408240238_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-97013000-1408240334_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-63666600-1408240426_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-82959200-1408240573_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-85644300-1408240631_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-35955100-1408240803_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-30362400-1408240988_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-16166300-1408241433_thumb.jpg

Awesome find Jobe! I love this picture - it really shows off the impressive scale of the Big Dipper, fitting the park like a glove and looking so much larger against the comparably diminutive landscape than at DW.

All of these photos are coming in great, considering its my home park!!!

Also, since the Dipper left, there are many missing gaps in LPS and just doesn't look the same today. Like, what's with leaving the Big Dipper entrance in? Why is it still left there? Get rid of it or build a new coaster. GCI Woodie or Eurofighter?

Edited by XxMrYoshixX

All of these photos are coming in great, considering its my home park!!!

Also, since the Dipper left, there are many missing gaps in LPS and just doesn't look the same today. Like, what's with leaving the Big Dipper entrance in? Why is it still left there? Get rid of it or build a new coaster. GCI Woodie or Eurofighter?

GCI Woodie?? Sadly, as much as I would LOVE a modern re-imagining of the original Big Dipper it is never going to happen. Where would they put it? It would take up too much real estate unfortunately!

The below pics are examples of probably what I feel is the best representation of what a new coaster COULD look like at LPS. Please note I am not saying that they are the best coasters but simply that they represent what would most likely fit given room and desire to keep residents on side. They are from various manufacturers - I will let you guys identify them. Thoughts?

In saying all that in the above post, there are 2 types of coasters which I feel could work very well for LPS in a sense that they could fit in the park extremely well. ( Not that this is likely to happen- this is purely a hypothetical discussion)

One is a very old model- a Schwarzkopf Shuttle Loop and the other is an Intamin Twisted Impulse. I would love to see one of these placed in the corridor between the cliff face and the Big Top. This would add a major coaster without having to take up any extra room from what little is left in the park for other attractions. This corridor is currently used as a staff and Maintenance access to the offices but this could be easily be moved to the other end. The queue could form over the existing Tumblebug slab and down to the ride. The proximity to both the cliff and the Big Top should keep noise levels to an acceptable level for residents.

Pie in the sky stuff I know but I would love to see one of these babies at LPS!!

post-30-0-56626100-1408446113_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-01474100-1408446173_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-05304600-1408446343_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-99529300-1408446364_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-17822500-1408446391_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-05851700-1408446423_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-63035000-1408446454_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-13646600-1408446487_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-79683900-1408446536_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-56473900-1408446569_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-86205100-1408446726_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-03050200-1408446764_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-17710100-1408446794_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-70924000-1408446822_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-11176300-1408447674_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-17982900-1408447696_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-15381900-1408447776_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-94775900-1408447819_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-39160500-1408447886_thumb.jpg

One of the good things about a Zacspin, shuttle loop (whoever makes it) or non spiralling impulse/half pipe is that it could be a major coaster, but at no point would people be screaming AT the residents, and in theory could be a bit quieter.

Exactly Joz. And that is the number one reason for LPS to look at these style of rides as a serious contender for an addition to their ride line up. Plus also the not insignificant point is that they do not take up much real estate and could fit in several places throughout the park. Personally I would like to see one of these placed where I stated in my previous post- down the access corridor between the Big Top and the cliffs whilst another smaller coaster ( Zamperla's moto coaster's look ideal and have a small footprint plus Gazza just gave them a positive review in his recent USA trip) is placed onto the Tumblebug area and the Tumblebug could be moved to where the Flying Saucer resided. This would give LPS 3xcoasters and improve their offering considerably, whilst still leaving room in Maloney's Corner for further permanent attractions.

GCI Woodie?? Sadly, as much as I would LOVE a modern re-imagining of the original Big Dipper it is never going to happen. Where would they put it? It would take up too much real estate unfortunately!

The below pics are examples of probably what I feel is the best representation of what a new coaster COULD look like at LPS. Please note I am not saying that they are the best coasters but simply that they represent what would most likely fit given room and desire to keep residents on side. They are from various manufacturers - I will let you guys identify them. Thoughts?

In saying all that in the above post, there are 2 types of coasters which I feel could work very well for LPS in a sense that they could fit in the park extremely well. ( Not that this is likely to happen- this is purely a hypothetical discussion)

One is a very old model- a Schwarzkopf Shuttle Loop and the other is an Intamin Twisted Impulse. I would love to see one of these placed in the corridor between the cliff face and the Big Top. This would add a major coaster without having to take up any extra room from what little is left in the park for other attractions. This corridor is currently used as a staff and Maintenance access to the offices but this could be easily be moved to the other end. The queue could form over the existing Tumblebug slab and down to the ride. The proximity to both the cliff and the Big Top should keep noise levels to an acceptable level for residents.

Pie in the sky stuff I know but I would love to see one of these babies at LPS!!

A Shuttle Loop, even though is hard to maintain, would be an excellent ride. An Intamin Impulse, nowhere to fit. It would also be too high and destroy the park's skyline. If a Windstorm, ZacSpin, Spinning Coaster or Volare gets installed, I will burn the park down.

If the top of the Big Top gets paved over (unlikely option) a new coaster could be put on top of the Big Top and Tumble Bug site.

If the Tumble Bug then goes, it could go as far as the Flying Saucer's footprint.

Before any of that happens, Crystal Palace needs to return to its former glory.

A Shuttle Loop, even though is hard to maintain, would be an excellent ride. An Intamin Impulse, nowhere to fit. It would also be too high and destroy the park's skyline. If a Windstorm, ZacSpin, Spinning Coaster or Volare gets installed, I will burn the park down.

If the top of the Big Top gets paved over (unlikely option) a new coaster could be put on top of the Big Top and Tumble Bug site.

If the Tumble Bug then goes, it could go as far as the Flying Saucer's footprint.

Before any of that happens, Crystal Palace needs to return to its former glory

Are Shuttle Loops really that hard to maintain? (Forgive my ignorance- genuine question) If the park could fit in a Shuttle Loop then it could definitely fit in a Intamin Impulse, especially in the area I described. A Schwarzkopf Shuttle Loop is 863ft in total length and 138ft in height. Intamin Twisted Impulse vary in height and length but they are certainly comparable in statistics to the Schwarzkopf Shuttle Loops. Steel Venom at Valley Fair has a length of 630ft and maximum height of 185ft. This should theoretically be possible for LPS to accommodate.

I still maintain a Zacspin would be a great addition to either Luna Park.

Why the hatred for a spinner?? Not one park in Australia has one- they would be a great addition to any small park line up, especially any from the Maurer Sohne offering.

As stated before, I like the look of the Zamperla Motocoaster.

Volare's are almost universally hated but like it or not it would be the first flying coaster in Australia. Very marketable and the general public would lap it up.

What is wrong with Crystal Palace? It looks like its in pretty good condition to me- it is also a very successful wedding/function centre and a key income driver for the park. Are you perhaps referring to its former function from years gone by?

Sorry to repeat other's sentiments - but if LPS gets a Zacspin, i'll burn the park to the ground.

Yeah I know your not lover of Zacspins and to be honest I have not ridden one so I am at a disadvantage. They do have their supporters as well, it must be said. I am still looking foward to riding one in the near future.

Luna Park Sydney has announced a world-first partnership with film giant, 20th Century Fox to celebrate the upcoming release of the highly anticipated action blockbuster, The Maze Runner.

The colossal labyrinth from the film will come to life in The Maze Runner Adventure Live!, an attraction being built exclusively within Luna Park Sydney. Launching from Thursday 18th September, the experience will run throughout the Spring school holidays period up until Halloween weekend. Currently in construction, The Maze Runner Adventure Live! is a collaboration with Twentieth Century Fox and The Sudden Impact! Entertainment Company.

The mysterious maze set will take Luna Park Sydneys guests on a walk-through, hands-on adventure, involving innovative special effects and immersive performance, bringing to life the vision and adrenalin-pumping action seen in the film. Core scenes from the Twentieth Century Fox release will be recreated within the attraction to task the audience with their own quest: to conquer the maze and find their missing Maze Runner companions. Unexpected thrills and amazing imagery from the film will give guests their own personal Maze Runner adventure first hand.

Looking forward to the launch, Twentieth Century Fox film distributors Marketing Director Sue Zerk explains Twentieth Century Fox Films is very excited about our partnership with Luna Park Sydney, for our upcoming film, The Maze Runner. This is a unique opportunity for us to use non traditional marketing, in an innovative way, to reach the elusive teen/tween market. Luna Park Sydney Marketing Manager Darrin Parker added it is with great pride and anticipation that Luna Park Sydney announces its world first collaboration with Twentieth Century Fox. The Maze Runner Adventure Live!, a guest experience constructed exclusively for Luna Park Sydney (will be) the highlight of our Spring Carnival and (will) provide our guests with a truly memorable adventure in park.

Posted on Thrills FB Page

Edited by Brad2912

Yeah I didn't see to many problems with it sorry. It looks like a fairly standard announcement to me.

What is interesting is that there is no mention of this on LPS's website or FB page- someone,most likely 20th Century Fox,have jumped the gun. A simultaneous press release to maximise effect would have been preferred.

This will most likely be housed in "Popcorn Hall", the auditorium directly underneath the Wild Mouse. This is where the Prison Break Live! Maze was situated a few years ago. Of course they could also be situating this in the Big Top as well, especially if they have to accommodate large special effects. If this is where it will be going then this attraction will be quite substantial as the Big Top encompasses a good sized area.This is pretty exciting announcement- the Prison Break Live! attraction was very popular and this will diversify LPS's offering brilliantly. I have always stated that they should do more things like this!!