Luna Park Sydney - the future with Wet'n'Wild

JulieLovis

I'm sure most have - but let's be honest - nobody is "rebuilding" anything - although there is a consortium that wants to build a new theme park in Sydney and capitalise on the memories and sentimentalists among the locals by calling it a similar name.

You can see more info if you visit http://www.sydneyswonderland.com.au/

And I think 3 years is being optimistic at this stage...

On topic, I don't think LPS has anything to worry about. They co-existed with Wonderland in the past. We've seen the park sit virtually stagnant (other than school holiday travelling rides), and now - with WnWS down the road, suddenly, hair raiser, ride retirement and removal, and talk of '5 year plans' for replacement and rejuvenation of the park.

Competition breeds competition. So long as park management (on all fronts) are responsible in their spending, Sydney is more than capable of supporting several small to medium independent parks - in fact it is screaming for it. Any park that tries to be as big as Wonderland or as popular as Magic Mountain or attract the attendance of Disneyland has their head in the clouds and will surely sink.

Wonderland stagnated because there was nobody to compete with. LPS had stagnated also - until WnWS came along. Even thinking back 10 years to our gold coast parks - and the attractions were few, and far between. Then we saw DW and MWSW launch salvo after salvo of new rides... if it happens, it can only mean good things.

I have not read this whole thread but I have been reading this forum for ages and always read the monthly updates :)

Anyway, what I wanted to say was that I had a really good idea to massively raise the popularity and numbers at LPS and make it a legitimate theme park. However, my solution will probably never happen and would be too expensive.

What I thought was that an Indoor Roller Coaster could be built in the area behind Coney Island (Where the Ranger is etc.) and could be very nicely themed (maybe even in the dark) and would be entered from Coney Island. I personally would love to see a dark Gerstlauer Euro-Fighter or something like that which isn't too tall but is unique and can pack thrills and inversions + large capacity. Although I don't think this would ever happen, forking out the 4-6 Million that it would cost to do a really good job with a fun queue line etc. I think would be worth it in the long run. And there would be no problems with noise (and I doubt height) and I think the space us big enough. The attractions out the park could either be dumped (like those little car things) or be moved to the other attractions. I think it would completely change the future of the park and would definitely attract visitors such as myself. Sydney has no decent roller coasters and the combination of this thrilling indoor coaster and the location of the park could change Luna Park's standing in Sydney :)

Yup, Jobe swears blind there is no room for a Eurofighter there unless it's a custom, which would be double that price at least. On the other hand, the Abyss is a great ride and everyone deserves to live in a city with an awesome little rollercoaster in it.

A custom wouldn't be double I doubt... And it is a decent sized peace of land. They could take some of Coney Island as well at the back.

El Loco is a pretty good idea. Pretty compact and a really good ride.

And if they could get the world record (I know it's hard and expensive) that would be an AMAZING selling point for them...

I would support a new coaster in Maloney's Corner but consideration has to be given on its size. Maloney's corner is a very valuable piece of real estate for LPS to be taken over by one ride only. There would be very little room to relocate the other rides within the park. That is why the Tumblebug slab would be the preferred option for any new coaster IMHO- it would leave more room for other attractions and allow more flexibility. It's another reason that I feel that a smaller compact coaster would be successful.

A Skycoaster replacing Flying Saucer?

What a positively horrible idea.

Do you really think? That area of land is so long and thin and that is not as good for a roller coaster IMO. And you could move Ranger to Tumble Bug, put Spider where Tango Train is and then scrap the rest...

One thing I think we can all agree on is that if they get a new coaster which they need to it will be a car coaster, not a train...

Who cares about the residents in the adjacent buildings. They bought those apartments. And anyway... They are powerless when it comes to LP rides. LP has more power. So they could add the worlds loudest coaster and put it right next to the buildings and LP would still get away with it.

What exactly are the conditions...

Just looked this up on RCDB. Looks very impressive. This is the ride DreamWorld SHOULD have got. Would love a clone for LPS but options would be very limited as to where to position it. The only 2 positions off the top of my head where it could go are:

1) Out the back in Maloney's Corner directly parallel to the back of Coney Island

or

2) The ride looks like it has a very narrow footprint and is 863 feet in length. It COULD be a perfect fit for the space that runs in between the Tumblebug slab/Big Top area and the cliff face. This is currently used as an access/maintenance staff corridor but these could be moved further down. Its not that long that it would not encroach upon the current LPS offices and you could have access and the queue line go up and over the Tumblebug slab. It is quite tall at 150 feet versus the previous Big Dipper at 131 feet but if it was positioned in this corridor then half of the ride would be enveloped by the cliff face on one side and the Big Top on the other, so screams and sounds should be quite localised.

All in all a winner!!! Hopefully LPS is listening to our suggestions!!

This is the perfect example if you wanted a RollerCoaster on the TumbleBug area. Would be kinda cool to have it over the ocean though :D And yes Dreamworld should have gotten this instead of BuzzSaw.