Luna Park Sydney - the future with Wet'n'Wild

JulieLovis

Jobe thank you for your post. Your quite correct, I was a huge fan of Luna Park until recent times. It's certainly lacking quite a lot now though IMHO.

Alex is obviously passionate & knowledgeable about parks so I was a little taken back by his response which I saw as being rather condescending. I hope we can put this behind us & move on :)

I wasn't mimicking you - I was using the same term as you to show that I was giving it the same meaning as you - use of the same language to ensure we both were talking about the same thing.

In my view it was an unrealistic expectation to expect the park to submit a query to the dept of planning over whether their existing approval (which they had) would cover the installation. As I said - theres a corporate lawyer somewhere getting his ass handed to him, but my point was that the park would have queried with the people they employ to know such things, as to whether or not something was needed, and those experts in their field would have assured the company that they were within their rights to do so.

As I also said - this sort of thing happens all the time in construction - where a developer builder assumes, or receives improper advice (sometimes by the planning authority themselves) that they do not need approval - and then later find out that they do. Nobody did anything wrong here - but the Dept of planning took a different view of the existing development approvals to the park, and so requested the park provide another one. It's not really a big deal, but not anything the park really could have 'foreseen'. The dept of planning may very well have viewed it the same way that their lawyers did.

There was no condescension intended - merely an attempt to explain why the park and their management really couldn't have foreseen this. I built a free standing carport to my house - my local council's website stipulated that a structure like this within certain dimensions did not require a BA - however it turns out, because it was near the fenceline of my property that one was required... so I completed and filed the necessary paperwork and received my rubber stamp and that was the end of it.

Happy to move on Dianna - have you had a name change or created a new profile??? You've been away for a while - so welcome back either way! :)

Thanks Alex, yes I changed my name as I thought it a little more appropriate due to my collecting habits. I have quite an extensive collection of Disney ornaments from every park I have been & also many dolls & figurines too. I'm not sure why the old one still shows up at the bottom of my posts but, I guess it doesn't really matter...Thanks for the welcome & have a great day :)

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like LPS collected a whole swag of awards at the 2014 IAAPA Brass Ring.

Including:

Best New Innovation in Food and Beverage: “Ferris Wheel Dining,” Luna Park Sydney, Sydney

Best Employee Reward & Recognition Program Under 1 Million Attendance: Luna Park Sydney

Television Commercial Class 3: Luna Park Sydney, Sydney, Australia

Sea World and Village Roadshow got mentions too.

Congratulations to all.

http://www.iaapa.org/about-iaapa/iaapa-awards/2014-iaapa-brass-ring-awards-winners

Including:

Best New Innovation in Food and Beverage: “Ferris Wheel Dining,” Luna Park Sydney, Sydney

Best Employee Reward & Recognition Program Under 1 Million Attendance: Luna Park Sydney

Congratulations to all.

http://www.iaapa.org/about-iaapa/iaapa-awards/2014-iaapa-brass-ring-awards-winners

They forgot one: The First Australian Ride To Be Built With-Out Permission: Hair Raiser, Luna Park Sydney!

Including:

Best New Innovation in Food and Beverage: Ferris Wheel Dining, Luna Park Sydney, Sydney

Congratulations to all.

Whoa that is a lot of awards for such a small park.

Wow that is very impressive for a small park. Despite the age of many of the rides (and that they desperately need some new ones), I have thought recently that LPS is a very well run park. It is always very clean, and in my opinion the staff members are the best of any park in Australia. The big parks on the Gold Coast could certainly take a leaf out of LPS book when it comes to staff friendliness and interaction.

The only thing I disagree with is the award for the Hair Raiser commercial. I didn't like it because it was a blatant rip-off of a very funny Catherine Tate skit. They are essentially getting big credit for an idea that wasn't theirs. I'm directing this comment to the production company more than Luna Park.

On Wednesday me and the wife went into the city and dropped into LPS just to see how it was going. Was rather busy as schools where on a school excursion. Pirates revenge was testing and is set up out the back in its usual place.

Interestingly tho as I left through the face a piece of white laminated paper got my attention attached to the gate of LPS. It was the development application to run Hair Raiser. I did take a picture but its currently on my phone.

I wonder what happened to the new ride, it was suppose to be under construction or almost completed by now

at least that is what all the staff said. :mellow:

What new ride are you referring too Mr Me? AFAIK there was not any new ride that was planned to be open before Xmas.

Not sure, but maybe the issue with the DA for the Hair Raiser may have impacted.

This could delay the overall timeline for a new ride or a direct replacement of Flying Saucer, but since no replacement has been ordered or even planned at this stage, its not something that we can really attribute to the woes of Hair Raiser. The Hair Raiser problem was one the park was not anticipating and since the ride is still open, we can keep our fingers crossed that this particular issue has been solved quietly in the background.