Luna Park Sydney - the future with Wet'n'Wild

JulieLovis

One of these days Yoshi - you'll learn to just go "oh ok, woops - my bad"... then we wouldn't have to do things like this:

So do we know what the permanent new ride at Luna Melb is? Or is it just another temp carny holiday ride??

It's already open. It's a freak out flat ride.

That is the same temp traveling freak out ride that was at LPS last summer. It's not a permanent addition.

This is one is meant to stay permanent though.

I can tell you right now it's not a permanent addition

No. It's a travelling ride. LPS had one as a temporary ride a long time ago

It was only 12 months ago Yoshi that Freakout was at LPS....it was the first major the ride had done after being purchased new. Its a great ride and I would love to see it permanently at LPS.

I was referring to Power Surge, not Freak Out.

There was not one reference to power surge in that part of the thread.

Not even when you said

Sky Fly? Air Race? Screaming Swing?

The entire conversation was about the Freak Out. You even quoted AUSTHEMEPARKS comment when he said 'this one is meant to stay permanent' he was quoting Ranger Dude when he said "this is the same temp travelling Freak Out..."

Jesus kid - just roll with it instead of trying to make excuses all the time.

'Luna Park scream machine, Hair Raiser, no fun for residents'

January 4, 2015 - 8:53PM

By Nicole Hasham, State Politics reporter, Sydney Morning Herald

It is billed as an edge-of-your seat experience, but the Hair Raiser ride at Luna Park has left its neighbours white-knuckled for all the wrong reasons.

The 37-metre tall ride opened a year ago without proper approval, prompting an outcry from neighbours over its "visually offensive" height and threats from planning authorities to have it pulled down.

Some residents say the Hair Raiser lights up their apartments and triggers screams audible across the harbour, leaving them sleep deprived and stricken by headaches.

But operators say rides that "thrill patrons" with sudden movements – and elicit screams – have been integral to Luna Park since it opened 80 years ago.

The park is now seeking belated planning approval for the ride. It is the latest skirmish in a decades-long battle between Luna Park and its serenity-seeking neighbours, which at times has threatened the historic park's very existence.

The Hair Raiser opened in late 2013, and is said to be the park's first new ride in a decade. Seated patrons are slowly elevated to the top of a tower, enjoying views of the city, before being unceremoniously dropped at more than 80 kilometres an hour.

But last year it emerged that Luna Park Sydney, which is controlled by Brookfield Multiplex, erected the ride without proper approval – then erroneously claimed its existing planning controls covered the work.

The Planning Department told the operators to submit a development application, which has attracted vociferous public submissions.

1420365227593.jpg

Noise factor: Nearby residents say screaming from the Hair Raiser ride at Luna Park, in Sydney, is disturbing their sleep. Photo: James Alcock

The application shows the ride is 37 metres tall, not 50 metres as promoted on Luna Park's website.

North Sydney Council said the ride was "visually intrusive" and ill-suited to its prominent harbour foreshore location.

One resident said "bright strobe lights flash in the apartment and are quite unnerving". Another experienced "headaches, lack of sleep and irritation," and a third said "screams from patrons using the ride reach … to the other side of Lavender Bay and our apartment".

One neighbour claimed the "hoony" ride led to increased "violence on the street and drunken behaviour" while another said it was "an ugly monstrosity" akin to a permanent crane on the skyline.

But some residents backed the proposal. One said Luna Park should be allowed to stay viable, "including the ability to change its rides". Another said the Milson's Point venue was "one of only a few activities drawing people to the area" and should be supported.

Luna Park was forced to close in 1996 after suffering financial and other woes, including restrictions on the Big Dipper roller coaster following noise complaints, causing patronage to fall. The park reopened in 2004.

Luna Park is on the state heritage register. In its application, the park's operators said the ride did not have "any significant adverse … impacts" and would help the park remain successful by refreshing its appeal. Consultants GML Heritage said "thrill rides" were essential to Luna Park's cultural significance as a traditional amusement park.

Brookfield Multiplex declined to comment.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

And it's on!

Many (sorry, ALL) of the objections are exaggerated. There is no mechanical noise associated with the ride. There are only 12 (or 14?) seats (all facing different directions) and the screams would last less than 2 or 3 seconds at a time.

The lighting is not as bright as the rest of the lights in the park.

Visually it matches the structure of the Ferriswheel, Wild Mouse and previous Big Dippers with its white truss work.

There is no logical reason why it should not stay, surely?

Ive been to WetnWild Sydney, its good to have a water park in the west alot of kids and adults can have fun at the same time ... buyt have to gey on the rides every early becuase by atleast by 11.30-12.00 there,s a 2hrr wait in line or atleast 3 hr wait from top to the bottom .. so get in fast lol ....... :lol:

Revolver aka Matt

Edited by Matthew Hearn

Yeah. Hopefully the ludicrousness of these allegations will illicit the same reactions from the ruling body and treat them with the contempt they deserve. It boils my blood to think that in this situation,a minority who has obvious wealth thinks they can dictate their own terms and conditions despite the stupidity of their claims. Fingers crossed that saintly prevails!

yeah

Sorry I am not so certain. I visited LPS on Sat night and asked virtually every operator if there was a new ride being prepared for the old Flying Saucer site and every one of them said no. Now of course we all take what operators say with a grain of salt, but I was left with the distinct impression that this information was correct- several were adamant that nothing was being installed in the short term.

Which leaves us with where you have got your info Mr Me.

Also, there is nothing that has been done to the Flying Saucer site to say that it is being prepared for a new attraction, as far as I could see. The "new" decals are very similar to what was there when the Flying Saucer was in existence( see attached pic), and this could have been cosmetic work to tidy up the area for New Years Eve celebrations. The site was used as a viewing platform for LPS NYE fireworks party.

Unfortunately, I do not think that a new ride will be coming to LPS in the first half of 2015.

post-30-0-12933000-1421059976_thumb.jpg

Some updates on my visit:

• IMHO, the residents should have no issue with the lighting suite on Hair Raiser. It is very low key and is only lit on the 2 sides that are facing away from the Cliffside. The ball at the top was not lit up. There are also very few screams from this ride-it should not breach any noise regulations ( not that the residents can use this as a point of attack anymore due to legislation.) I think its unlikely that Hair Raiser is going to be pulled down at this stage, and that LPS will go over a fine tooth comb for any new DA for any new ride it wishes to install.
  • The Pirates Revenge flume was very popular and is a great summer addition.
  • The Lego Toy Brick exhibition was also very popular and a good dual attraction in bringing families to the park.
  • Even though the weather turned wet, there was still a good crowd enjoying the rides and the atmosphere right up until close.
  • Tango Train was in full use and appeared to be running well and was a very popular ride. Rumours of its imminent demise appear overly exaggerated. .
  • Coney Islands Wonky walk was not operating again- this makes 2 years running that I have visited the park and this attraction has been down. I sincerely hope LPS are keeping up to date with their obligations towards this heritage listed attraction.

All in all there were 3 families in my group with 6 kids who had an awesome time. They certainly got their moneys worth for the 9 hours we were in the park with many re-rides on every attraction. Hopefully LPS can get back on track this year , put the Hair Raiser DA debacle behind them and get on with their renewal plans. LPS is always worth a visit in the January school holidays.