Luna Park Sydney - the future with Wet'n'Wild

JulieLovis

But again, the park is based around a lot of the classics. And I don't think Luna Park would be even slightly bothered by that. Plus the UFO and The Enterprise are 2 completely different rides, in a sense. 

How are they 2 different rides? Did you not read what I had posted about the Enterprise? The Flying Saucer was derived from the Enterprise in 1978 . They offer the SAME ride experience except that the Enterprise gives the rider the  experience from a sitting down postion and the Flying Saucer ( or UFO as called by HUSS) offers it from a standing position. They are virtually from the same platform. The Flying Saucer however,  was never as popular or successful as the Enterprise , which made it quite a rare ride. As I stated during its removal from LPS, due to this rarity and uniqueness,  its a shame that a solution for its retention by the park was not found.

"completely different rides..."

"in a sense"

"oxymoron"

The ride experience is the same, with the exception of the riding position.

"get in, sit down, spin around until centrifugal force ensures you're firmly held in place, elevate to near-vertical angle, return to horizontal position, stop spinning."

"get in, remain standing, spin around until centrifugal force ensures you're firmly held in place, elevate to near-vertical angle, return to horizontal position, stop spinning."

So, in a sense, they're completely different rides, and in a sense, they're completely identical rides.

#makessense

Yes you're the only one.

Considering the article posted by Jobe actually points out that the UFO previously in LPS was a sucessor to the enterprise... i don't think the park wants to be going backwards in time.

And LPS should NEVER get a Zacspin. that is all.

Well there is the S&S version for those that are all "Zacspin 1 is too intense for me".

^ lol. I've never encountered another ride anywhere that i would get off and refuse to ever ride again. For me - a Zacspin was it. Plus there's the whole Inferno incident to think about too. ;)

I'm not sure the S&S Free Spin would fit into LPS's available space, but by all accounts is far more enjoyable than the Zacspin... anyone care to work that one out?

I've been on a few zacspins: Kirnu, Insane and Green Lantern and they're not for everyone. The half-pint version would fit well (like Kirnu). Not a fan myself.

Maybe a disk-o would be a good addition.

Yeah a Disk 'O' would be a great addition. They have had one as a Xmas holiday ride and it was extremely popular.

Based on the current model's footprint:

5584b90b88750_LPS_SS_4DFreeSpin.thumb.PN

Interesting. Great work. Just wondering- how wide are they? Could one fit in the long space between the Big Top and the cliff? This space is exactly the same width that the Big Dipper used to traverse on the return sidewinder into the station when it was located at LPS. It could be a good solution....

Why not build a zamperla volare to get the neighbours complaining about the noise coming out from the lift hill???

LOL...I mentioned them in a previous post. I am sure they could fit on that area where Tumblebug currently sits but as I have stated, they receive almost universal condemnation. I have not yet personally had the pleasure of riding one.

Is the lift hill overly loud? Can someone who has ridden one give some insight please?

Interesting. Great work. Just wondering- how wide are they? Could one fit in the long space between the Big Top and the cliff? This space is exactly the same width that the Big Dipper used to traverse on the return sidewinder into the station when it was located at LPS. It could be a good solution....

The footprint is 36ft x 280ft = 11m x 55m.

I've only been to LPS a couple of times, but I'm thinking you are referring to Coney Island and not the Big Top? If so, I'd say it is a bit too small if the ride needs the full rectangular footprint as I think the gap is around the 9m mark.

Yeah a Disk 'O' would be a great addition. They have had one as a Xmas holiday ride and it was extremely popular.

LOL...I mentioned them in a previous post. I am sure they could fit on that area where Tumblebug currently sits but as I have stated, they receive almost universal condemnation. I have not yet personally had the pleasure of riding one.

Is the lift hill overly loud? Can someone who has ridden one give some insight please?

The lift hill is very squeaky. Most likely to drive the neighbours mad.

Basically, the virtue of a Volare being compact is its greatest drawback.  The turns on the ride are quite tight and violent, which doesn't work in the flying position because you are basically held in a fibreglass sandwich toaster.

Other flying coasters tend to have sweeping turns, and rather ergonomic cars with soft harnesses, which as a whole makes for an enjoyable experience.

The Volare is the opposite.

Basically, the virtue of a Volare being compact is its greatest drawback.  The turns on the ride are quite tight and violent, which doesn't work in the flying position because you are basically held in a fibreglass sandwich toaster.

Other flying coasters tend to have sweeping turns, and rather ergonomic cars with soft harnesses, which as a whole makes for an enjoyable experience.

The Volare is the opposite.

Thanks. Its a shame really. The idea as a concept is great but the execution and the design flaws lets it down. I wonder if Zamperla recognise that the Volare is viewed as less than satisfactory by riders and enthusiasts. If so they could do some work on the cars which seem to be the weakest point on the ride. Still, for a ride that is almost universally derided, there are still 9 examples of it around the world.......

I've been on a few Volares, they are awful. It's no surprise North Korea has one.

A small woodie like Twister at Gronalund would be a nice addition, though the neighbours will always be unhappy. Maybe an indoor ride would be a good addition, though maybe more than LP would be willing to spend. A Gerstlauer bobsled spinning coaster would be cool.

• 2 weeks later...