Luna Park Sydney - the future with Wet'n'Wild

JulieLovis

Well, Mystery Manor is officially open and I've heard its pretty good actually! It's made by some people over in America that are actually pretty good at making haunted houses! Power Surge is also there as well for anyone that wants to lose their lunch. I'm sadly unable to get down these hols but it would be awesome to hear what the haunt is like!

I have also heard that they've done a good job with Mystery Manor and it is quite well done. The pics of it on the LPS Facebook page look good, they seem to have done quite a good job with the facade and the theming. I am heading to LPS either tomorrow, Thursday or Friday with my nieces depending on weather so will post an update once I've seen it. Has anyone else seen it yet?

I went last week and got to try Mystery Manor out. It's a well done attraction but was pretty short compared to say Nightmares at Dreamworld or similar attractions. It was over in about 2 - 3 minutes once you actually get into the maze. There is also a pre-show inside there that goes for a few minutes as well that is shown to each group of 4 that enters.

As far as physical size goes it fits into 3 shipping containers that house the attraction so it's pretty top notch for the  amount of space they have but IMO I feel as though it's lacking (once again due to the size) but overall it's a solid attraction. On another note, holy crap Hair Raiser hurts your butt when it comes to a stop! It was honestly the most terrifying freefall ride i've been on and the sheer force when it drops you is pretty full on. Obviously it doesn't have the same height factor as the Giant Drop but damn it's a good free-fall ride!

As far as physical size goes it fits into 3 shipping containers that house the attraction so it's pretty top notch for the  amount of space they have but IMO I feel as though it's lacking (once again due to the size) but overall it's a solid attraction. On another note, holy crap Hair Raiser hurts your butt when it comes to a stop! It was honestly the most terrifying freefall ride i've been on and the sheer force when it drops you is pretty full on. Obviously it doesn't have the same height factor as the Giant Drop but damn it's a good free-fall ride!

I agree, Hair Raiser is terrifying as crap.

Visited LPS last Wednesday and noticed a small sign at the bottom of the stairs to the ex flying saucer saying somthing along the lines of "Watch this space, we are working on something exciting!" However I couldn't see anything from the Ferris wheel.

I searched around a bit and also found a comment Luna Park Sydney's YouTube channel made in reply to someone complaining about the flying saucer leaving

heres the video: http://youtu.be/4_qg3ugq6Eg

They said 'we now have another perhaps space to fill with something exciting. Watch this space for news on what the area may be used for.

Hopefully that helps, new to the forum.

thoughts?

Visited LPS last Wednesday and noticed a small sign at the bottom of the stairs to the ex flying saucer saying somthing along the lines of "Watch this space, we are working on something exciting!" However I couldn't see anything from the Ferris wheel.

I searched around a bit and also found a comment Luna Park Sydney's YouTube channel made in reply to someone complaining about the flying saucer leaving

heres the video: http://youtu.be/4_qg3ugq6Eg

They said 'we now have another perhaps space to fill with something exciting. Watch this space for news on what the area may be used for.

Hopefully that helps, new to the forum.

thoughts?

That was... 1 year too late.

• 2 months later...

Hi sorry for the bump and the dumb question but after reading the excellent Luna Park book by Sam Marshall was the Big Dipper (1995 version) track painted orange or yellow? It seems in the video posted onto YouTube a long time ago the track is orange but in photos it looks yellow? I've always wondered about that.

10 hours ago, Jobe said:

It was definitely painted yellow, with white supports. 

Thanks for the help :D

1 hour ago, Wil_i_am_not said:

I also noticed something on Luna Park's Instagram. I wonder if they're just holiday rides, or a brand new one? 

567b1c5cdc7c2_ScreenShot2015-12-24at9.11

Yes I assume school holiday rides since there is #schoolholidayfun what else would they have used?

11 hours ago, XxMrYoshixX said:

Yes I assume school holiday rides since there is #schoolholidayfun what else would they have used?

Yep as stated in the other thread they are indeed their annual

holiday rides.

The Mystery Manor is staying for an extended season.

The Freak Out will also be returning after a 2 year absence.

The Rock'n'Tug will also make an appearance for the little ones.

Couple these on the all ride pass and the Swim and Spew option of swimming at nearby North Sydney Pool then this adds up to a full day of fun and great value indeed.  

11 hours ago, XxMrYoshixX said:

Yep as stated in the other thread they are indeed their annual

holiday rides.

The Mystery Manor is staying for an extended season.

The Freak Out will also be returning after a 2 year absence.

The Rock'n'Tug will also make an appearance for the little ones.

Couple these on the all ride pass and the Swim and Spew option of swimming at nearby North Sydney Pool then this adds up to a full day of fun and great value indeed.  

1 hour ago, XxMrYoshixX said:

Isn't the Freak Out there every holidays now? Last time I went in July it was there.

Although LPS do rotate their holiday ride options, they do tend to stick to 2 or three operators. The Freak out is operated by

B & B Amusements although they have used others in the past.

I certainly hope that they will utilise the Crazy Spinning Coaster one year for their holiday rides. This would be a good litmus test for LPS to attain a second coaster, especially if the Crazy Coaster proves very popular.

• 2 weeks later...

Went there yesterday after work and did Mystery Manor a couple of times, the maze talent were really on their game. Excellent walk-through, albeit a little short, but heaps of fun.

The drop tower seemed a little smoother on the big clunk at the end, maybe I was sitting in a lucky seat, or it was a good day, or they've done something to fix it a bit.

I found this cool video of the original Luna Park pre 1979 fire. It's a little grainy and shaky at times, and there's no sound - but it does have POV of the original wood Big Dipper at several points in the video.

https://youtu.be/aZ1FdM9YSGs

First time poster long time reader here. Was doing my weekly theme park stalk and somehow ended up on a site that sells carnival/theme park rides (New and used). Clicked on one and to my surprise found the Tango train from Luna park for sale on the site!

Has anyone seen this before? I had read that something was going to happen with the tango train but thouht it was interesting to have it for sale (link below).

http://www.rides4u.com/view/3045 

Very interesting find there Smitty. Doubt there'd be many takers for a slowly dying 36 year old ride even at the cheap $100,000 price tag but evidently LPS trying there luck and hoping to get one last little payday out of the Tango Train rather than just scrapping it but seems to indicate that Tango isn't long for this world.

The question is though what/where is that 1.7 million dollar coaster that's for sale there? Not sure any of our parks would take a 2nd hand coaster as an acceptable filler instead of the big dollar brand new coasters on offer but depending on the ride size and footprint, it could fit in well at a place like LPS or even in the old Blue Lagoon area of DW (if they ever do anything with that) or in the old Sea Viper area at SW (unlikely as would be a waste of all that area for a second hand coaster when could be invested on a brand new ride but you never know)