Luna Park Sydney - the future with Wet'n'Wild

JulieLovis

I was at LPS tonight with my nieces. There is a large area in the centre of the park near the Big Top that is walled off with signage all over it saying that something new is coming. When you look through the cracks you can see several large holes and about 5 or 6 construction machines (sorry don't know what they're called!). Some of the staff members told us that there is a major new ride opening there at the end of this year, but they wouldn't tell us what!. Couldn't get any pics as I didn't have my phone on me...

JulieLovis that's very interesting info!! The location of this new ride is a little confusing to me though- from your description is it in the MIDDLE of the Midway?? Or is it the area that is next to the Ice Creamery? I am just trying to visualise how much room we are talking about for this new attraction- especially given that space is such a premium at LPS!! Hopefully it will be something significant- and it could very well be LPS's answer to the opening of Wet and Wild in December. A new attraction to spruik of course gives punters a reason to visit or revisit. LPS's location straight on the harbour in the middle of the city makes it extremely accessible.

Edited by Jobe

It is the whole area between the Ice Creamery and the Crystal Palace and it comes out about half way into the main walkway, although most of the holes are beside the front of the Icecreamery. The impression I got from the staff is that it is going to be a great addition, they just wouldn't say exactly what it's going to be!

North Sydney Council is not much help at all, other than to say

Ref Number: 010.2013.00000387.001

Development Application - Luna Park - Foundations, footings and installation of amusement ride Approved by the Department of Planning 201-06-2002 CC 13/122072-1

Lodged: 17/10/2013 Determined: 17/10/2013 Approved by Other Estimated Cost of Work: $ 0 Officer: Stephen Beattie

I was at LPS tonight with my nieces. There is a large area in the centre of the park near the Big Top that is walled off with signage all over it saying that something new is coming. When you look through the cracks you can see several large holes and about 5 or 6 construction machines (sorry don't know what they're called!). Some of the staff members told us that there is a major new ride opening there at the end of this year, but they wouldn't tell us what!. Couldn't get any pics as I didn't have my phone on me...

That's great. If it is opened during the summer holidays I will take a train down there. I hope it's a thrill ride and not a baby ride Why can't they add more permanant rides in Maloney's Corner. LPS don't need special school holiday only rides Edited by zacsta_1997

I would love for it to be a free fall tower ride or aerial ride to take advantage of the view. Also it would be good for them to add something that doesn't spin because almost everything else in the park is a spinner.

Over all I think a free fall tower would be great in that spot, or maybe I'm dreaming???!

Edited by JulieLovis

I would love for it to be a free fall tower ride or aerial ride to take advantage of the view. Also it would be good for them to add something that doesn't spin because almost everything else in the park is a spinner. Over all I think a free fall tower would be great in that spot, or maybe I'm dreaming???!

I love that idea of a free fall. The view from that would be amazing. Unfortunately it wouldn't be a record breaker because LPS wouldn't afford it but they would have the room. If we are seeing a free fall in the future be prepared for a permanant carnival one or a launched freefall

The enthusiast in me wants it to be a ZacSpin poking out slightly over the water edge like the one at Grona Lund. The realist in me says that it probably wont be anything other than a flat ride, given it is meant to be opening in a couple of months.

I wish. I've seen them on line and have always wanted to ride one. Maybe because my name is Zac... Haha. No but I love the idea of freely spinning seats and the feeling of freefall as you spin upsidedown in a matter of seconds. If they move the children's rides and shift the spider over a bit they could fit one there with it still leaning over the water. It wouldn't take up a lot of room only lengthways so they can still put their useless school holiday events there. If they get rid of the big top they could fit heaps there. Stupid people behind LPS could keep thir complaint to themselves. LPS was there before them. Me personally as a theme park person I'd love to live there.

I personally think the drop freefall tower is a great idea. Perfectly suited to capitalise on the views of the harbour. If they get one not too high, it shouldn't impact on the residents in that area as the cliffs are still pretty high at that point, not to mention the parking structure backs most of it behind there...

I messaged LPS on Facebook enquiring about the new ride and this is the response I received-

"Management have a tight lip on this one, Keep an eye on our Facebook page because if there's an announcement to make we'll be sure to post it there :) -Luna Park Team"

As you can see they are not giving too much away!! We will just have to wait and see what develops on the site!

I totally agree with Gazza that an Intamin Zacspin would be an awesome addition to the ride lineup. However, I don't think that there would be near enough room to install one next to the Ice Cream shop where this new ride is being built. In my mind the perfect place for one would be the space between the cliff face and the Big Top. This provides a long space for the ride footprint to fit in, it would be nestled in between natural cliffs and the Big Top, so the residents would be somewhat sound sheltered and the ride queue could fit in next to the Tango queue space.

Furthermore, a decent drop ride would be an excellent choice for LPS. The Mega Drop travelling ride has been there as a Xmas addition, and proved very popular, so a permanent addition would be most welcome!!

Very interesting and hopefully this news will bring a attraction of some significance. Watching further proceedings at LPS with much interest!!

Edited by Jobe

Just received a message from LPS on Facebook regarding the new attraction- An announcement about it and accompanying Holiday rides and attractions is imminent. This is quite significant as it represents the first new ride investment in the park since the '95 incarnation. Even still, this will not equal the ride count that was in the park at that time- which of course included the much lamented Big Dipper. Hopefully this signals further signs of permanent ride investment back into the park- fingers crossed for another coaster in some shape or form. I think that it is no coincidence that LPS have finally made this decision with the opening of Wet and Wild Sydney looming next month. Finally some brighter news for Sydney thrillseekers!

I think this certainly does tell us more than the opening date - the picture implies what i believe has already been suggested around the traps as a significant drop tower style attraction.

Naturally we'll have to wait and see what develops to work out what kind of tower (freefall space shot other), but i'm glad to see they're expanding their permanent repertoire.

Yeah that's the implication that the picture conveys. And really, given the location for where this is being placed, there is not a huge amount of room, it certainly begins to look like as you suggest a drop ride or shot tower. Which type of ride would you guys find more appealing?? The drop tower similar to Giant Drop at Dreamworld/Space Probe at Wonderland or the shot tower , like Batwing at MovieWorld?? Personally I think that the shot tower would be a better fit for LPS. Thoughts?

Frog Hopper ;) Given its LPS though, an S&S shot ride is possibly a bit loud, and since you'd want guests screaming into the harbour a drop ride where everyone is on the same side would be ideal. Personally I like free fall rides better than shot towers, but I think that may be a side affect of living on the Gold Coast.

See after having been on the Batwing I would have thought that this type of ride would be quieter than drop towers especially for the scream factor-I tend to scream a lot louder on the Giant Drop than I did on Batwing!!! :)

^^ What themeparkgc said.

Batwing has the compressed air 'thump' at each change of direction - the low frequency sound can be heard a lot further away than a scream. The freefall attraction is more likely to be quieter operation, and whilst you will get screams, they're only for about 3-4 seconds on the way down, whereas a spaceshot bounces a few times, prolonging the noise...