Luna Park Sydney - the future with Wet'n'Wild

JulieLovis

The Freak Out is a very similar ride to the Claw at Dreamworld. This ride is brand new and will make its debut at LPS before hitting the ride circuit. It looks like a great ride and will be a great addition at LPS over the summer. Hopefully there will be more additions and announcements to follow- another 2 major rides plus Freak Out and Hair Raiser will make LPS an attractive place to visit!! Furthermore , if the demise of Flying Saucer turns out to be true, then one option would be to move TumbleBug to the Flying Saucers current position , which would free up space for the installation of another compact coaster. There are plenty of examples that would fit in that footprint and would be well within LPS's price range.

Hair Raiser is open. I think today was the first day as they were giving out badges and merchandise to all the riders as we were getting off saying "I was the first to ride Hair Raiser". It is a very intense drop, it's a very good ride. By far the best at LPS. It will be a real hit & the view is incredible! I went on Freak Out too, it's a great ride as well but it's only a traveller and there for a limited time. Get there and give Hair Raiser a go if you're in Sydney, you will be very pleasantly surprised with LPS's new addition!

LPS have posted this video of Hair Raiser on their Facebook page...

Not sure how they managed to get the footage that close!

I am planning on visiting LPS tomorrow to try out Hair Raiser and Freak Out. I am surprised that LPS have not been heavily advertising their new ride. Has anyone seen anything? Has anyone ridden it already?

I've ridden it and as previously stated ;) it is very good!

I have been to LPS twice since it opened and have sat looking most directions (every seat has a slightly different but equally spectacular view). The drop is surprisingly intense and takes my breath away every time.

Regarding Flying Saucer, it is definitely off the map, it's entry signage is gone and there is no reference to it anywhere in the park (although it is still sitting there completely intact - you can see from ferris wheel). When I was there the other day they were also only loading every second car on Tango train and yesterday it was closed entirely. It is looking a bit tired. Hopefully they have something in mind to re-do those two rides as tango train def. needs it and it is a great location in the park.

Although i'd like to see a coaster in that spot, I do like the classic style tango train ride and it would be nice to see them do a decent proper refurbishment of it & do a coaster somewhere near the old Big dipper location.

Surely the fact the tango train is out of action during the school holidays implies it has had some sort of unexpected breakdown?

Hopefully not for too long!!!

Something not planned has obviously happened to Tango;it now states on the website that it is currently closed for maintenance. Hopefully the downtime will not be too long!! The Huss Flying Saucer is a ride that is no longer manufactured and it is very hard to get replacement parts. There are only approx 15 of these rides left in the world and LPS's example is the only one in Australia. Fingers crossed the park can see an economic decision that sees the ride stay operating in the park. If that is not to be, my vote is to move the Tumblebug to the Flying Saucer's current site, which will free up the entire Big Dipper slab for another compact coaster to complement Wild Mouse. This could be a real option and would likely be the best chance for the park to gain a second coaster!!

Rather sad the UFO is no longer running. But like some of the Huss rides they simply dont make parts anymore. It was a cracker of a ride to operate in manual ( when allowed). I hope LPS can and will do some thing smart with this area. I think the UFO's days are out numbered and it wont be replaced for some time possibly. Tumble Bug could be moved but its one of the oldest Huss rides in the park. I think its almost nearing its end soon also. Will be one of those watch this space moments.

There was a short article in the Daily Telegraph the other day with Warwick Doughty, the park director.

It was mostly about the introduction of the Hair Raiser ride but it did contain some interesting titbits. These include:

• The Hair Raiser was built in Texas and custom built for Luna Park
  • Original plans called for it to be twice as high but this was reversed due to the sensitive nature of Luna Park's neighbours
  • The article explains that their are heritage listed rides such as Coney Island and Wild Mouse but Warwick admits that some rides are reaching their use by date
  • The Hair Raiser is the first of several new attractions that are planned for the next five years
  • Warwick Doughty understand the need to refresh and change.

Obviously with the imminent removal of Flying Saucer, the unexpected downtime of Tango Train these holidays, and the recent opening of Wet and Wild, this has forced Luna Park to evaluate and refresh its ride line up and attraction list. No real surprise here and this was called out on this very board. Hopefully, these plans will include another coaster in the park at some point , but the mere fact that they have a five year plan is very encouraging to say the least.

Link to the article is here:

http://www.pressdisplay.com/pressdisplay/viewer.aspx

Absolutely. Extremely encouraging. Competition is good!

Agreed 100%!. A successful Luna Park is good for Sydney and NSW and will also show to investors that a fun park in this state can be a worthwhile investment. Luna Park are expecting 600,000 visitors this year, a very healthy figure!! New attractions ( and hopefully down the line a new major coaster) will only see Luna Park go from strength to strength!! Its unique location right in the middle of the harbour city and its diversity as a concert and function venue has seen it thrive for over 10 years in its current incarnation. More power to them and I hope Luna Park is here for the next 100 years!!

Does that then mean those rides (if they're heritage listed) have to remain SBNO if they can't be repaired?

Good question. What I believe ( and I have nothing solid to back this up ) is that possibly the maintenance and upkeep of these rides is built into the current lease. That is to say, that Luna Park, cannot remove these rides or intrinsically change them and must maintain them as long as the park remains in operation. They definitely could not remove for instance, Coney Island, to install a new coaster or attraction. Having heritage listed items carries with it a responsibility as well as some fairly taxing and inflexible laws attached to them. Ask anyone who has a heritage listed abode and the red tape and restrictions they have to abide by when doing ANYTHING to the building. It is a nightmare!!

Quick question: How does Luna Park count attendance? Is it 600,000 people in the park in a year or 600,000 ride pass sales

Another good question Joz. Since Luna Park has free entry I would assume this figure would purely be drawn from ticket and wrist band sales. Luna also does offer a year pass so presumably these sales are taken into account. Of course visitors could also mean concert goers and function guests so its reasonable to assume that Luna would add an average from last year of these visitors, which would greatly boost attendance numbers. Taking all these into account and it is easy to see how Luna could forecast numbers of 600,000-it would most definitely would include all facets that the Luna Park precinct offers.

Does that then mean those rides (if they're heritage listed) have to remain SBNO if they can't be repaired?

Coney Island and the Crystal Ballroom are both heritage listed and won't be going anywhere. Both of them - as buildings - will always be able to be repaired and restored - it's whats inside them that makes a difference - and that is changeable. The individual attractions inside Coney Island (afaik) are covered by heritage also, but when you look at the specifics, there isn't much that an ordinary handyman couldn't repair.

The Wild Mouse is interesting as I wouldn't have thought the mouse would have met the criteria for heritage listing. That said there are heritage listed wooden coasters elsewhere in the world (including Cyclone and Scenic Railway) that have stood far longer, so I don't see any reason why they wouldn't be able to repair it - the mechanics of it are simplistic.

On attendance, i'd say they would have to go by wristband and pass sales alone - and this doesn't take into account the parents who bring their children to the park to ride and don't actually ride themselves. I'll be interested to see what they bring forward as they remove the old ones.