Luna Park Sydney - the future with Wet'n'Wild

JulieLovis

No. Zacspins are frigging amazing. .I want one (Or an S&S free spin)

Given your experience, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Although I have never ridden one

Curious AlexB- why the hatred for the Zacspin?? You have the advantage as you obviously have experienced one.......

Without riding one - I was the same - it looked amazing - such a compact design, such amazing experiences.

I remember when the first images of the concept came out (they were posted on R-C.com.au in i think 2005 or 2006), and I absolutely could not wait to ride it.

My experience on Green Lantern - First Flight was just sickening. What I expected to be a smooth, high speed yet amazing ride like X2 (we'd literally just gotten off X2 30 minutes prior, and they looked very similar) was an out of control, jolting trip that thankfully was over when it was. I'm extremely happy there are only 4 of them in the world, and will be quite happy if i never ride any of them again.

They'd be so insanely marketable too. Australia has never seen a similar ride type before.

MDMC was an Australian first too.

A Zacspin would be amazing. I'd love to ride one

Another supporter (probably because of the name) who hasn't ridden it.

I'm not a fan. Try something else instead.

Ok now I'm on the same page. I didn't realise Green Lantern at Magic Mountain and Zacspin were the same thing! I rode Green Lantern at magic Mountain also at the end of 2012, and I agree with AlexB, it's definitely a 1 ride wonder. There's probably a very good reason why there's only 4 of them. I would imagine Movie World would have at least gone to check the Magic Mountain one out before building their version of GL and if LPS are in the market for a new "big dipper" then I would imagine they would do the same. With this in mind and knowing what it's like... I doubt we'll see a zacspin in Aus. Some of the more coaster cultured members than me; what is your preferred choice for a new LPS coaster?????

Just watched a video of the GL at Magic Mountain and i'd imagine there'd be 0% chance of getting a ride like that in the Tumble Bug spot at LPS, not because of the ride footprint of it but from both the height of the ride as that area is right next to the apartments and the noise from screams would also count against the ride much like how the Big Dipper's fate was sealed. My guess is only flat rides could be in that spot to keep the residents happy

Just watched a video of the GL at Magic Mountain and i'd imagine there'd be 0% chance of getting a ride like that in the Tumble Bug spot at LPS, not because of the ride footprint of it but from both the height of the ride as that area is right next to the apartments and the noise from screams would also count against the ride much like how the Big Dipper's fate was sealed. My guess is only flat rides could be in that spot to keep the residents happy

Strictly speaking this is not the case anymore. The Luna Park site ammendment act ( noise control) , that was introduced in 2005 limits any litigation against the park arising from noise complaints. It also removes any right of appeal. Essentially this means that LPS can build any thrill ride within its boundaries, of any height and the residents cannot object on the grounds of noise. This is why the recent introduction of the Hair Raiser drop ride has not raised any public objections. In saying that, LPS is trying to find a middle ground with the residents to keep coexistence as peaceful as possible. Peter Hearne, the managing director of LPS has been quoted in the media as saying that Hair Raiser could have been twice the size it currently is, but Luna Park is trying to keep the residents placated by not building anything too controversial.

So in summary will LPS ever build a coaster the size of Big Dipper/Cyclone again? Unlikely but it certainly wouldn't be noise restrictions that would prevent them from doing so ( space would be more of an issue). However a compact coaster on the Tumble bug site is definitely an option I think the park could and would explore and if the park did have a desire to install one in this place, the residents would have little legal options to prevent it.

For a close look at the act please seehttp://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/prod/parlment/nswbills.nsf/1d4800a7a88cc2abca256e9800121f01/fffe1eec2154ff62ca2570970021435e?OpenDocument

I would imagine Movie World would have at least gone to check the Magic Mountain one out before building their version of GL

Unlikely Julie - GL-FF Zacspin opened on 1/7/2011 and the GL el loco opened (officially) on 23/12/2011 (testing was early December). They wouldn't have had time to ride the newly opened coaster, decide against it, order the one they wanted (including custom modifications such as 4 seats abreast) and have it made, shipped, and constructed in 5 months.

Just because the theme name was the same, has nothing to do with the type style model of coaster.

See this or this or this or this or this

Some of the more coaster cultured members than me; what is your preferred choice for a new LPS coaster?????

JulieLovis I have always maintained that one of the best options for a new coaster at LPS would be a Maurer Sohne Spinner ( Of which their are several models). They provide reasonable thrills yet are still accessible to the whole family. Their ride footprint isn't huge and therefore would be very suitable for LPS's needs. Also if they did install one, then this would be an Australian first- a fact that still astounds me! I cannot believe that no other park in Australia has seen the potential of this type of install. I would not theme it as a new Big Dipper either- I would name it the Wild Cat ( as a nod to LPS's famous Schwarzkopf's Wild cat coaster of the 70"s, which according to popular rumour, is still in existence on a property in the Hunter Valley after being purchased in the LPS fire sale ride auction in 1980 after the Ghost train tragedy). It would be awesome to have the Wild Mouse and the Wild Cat sitting opposite each other on the midway in their respective elevated positions.

Please see this for further info

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4lySuWfvDk

Thanks Jobe for that very interesting info on the Luna Park noise amendment act which I was unaware of. As you said LPS could put anything they want in but trying to keep the peace with the residents is likely a very smart move on their part and that Maurer Sohne Spinner ride you mentioned looks fantastic and would fit in very well in the Tumble Bug spot.

Only question would be is how expensive a MS Spinner would cost LPS. Any one have any idea how much they typically cost?

Thanks Jobe for that very interesting info on the Luna Park noise amendment act which I was unaware of. As you said LPS could put anything they want in but trying to keep the peace with the residents is likely a very smart move on their part and that Maurer Sohne Spinner ride you mentioned looks fantastic and would fit in very well in the Tumble Bug spot.

Only question would be is how expensive a MS Spinner would cost LPS. Any one have any idea how much they typically cost?

Well a quick peruse of the same model on RCDB puts a price anywhere between $2 Million and $4 Million US Dollars. That would have to be adjusted for inflation and current market prices.

I am interested in other board members views as well- if the Tumblebug site became available exactly what coaster would you guys like to see??

I think that spinning coaster looks great. Much better than that one that travels around the country.

But can we really expect that LPS are going to have their hand in their pocket for one of these, which by the look of things is about a 6 million plus, less than a year after Hairraiser (which might I add took them 10 years to introduce!)

Plus they have the issue of replacing the Flying Saucer.

Personally I would like to see the tumble bug go and have a replace for the Flying Saucer and that spinning coaster where the Tumble Bug is but sadly I don't see it happening.

If only LPS could see the potential!!!

^Jamberoo relied upon their core attractions for years before coming up with their master plan - and suddenly they're installing new attractions every year or two...

Just because it's been 10 years, doesn't mean they will wait another 10 years before the next one... they may have been paying off their primary finance to actually operate the park for the last 10 years, and only now are they starting to generate a profit capable of purchasing new attractions...

My experience on Green Lantern - First Flight was just sickening. What I expected to be a smooth, high speed yet amazing ride like X2 (we'd literally just gotten off X2 30 minutes prior, and they looked very similar) was an out of control, jolting trip that thankfully was over when it was. I'm extremely happy there are only 4 of them in the world, and will be quite happy if i never ride any of them again.

I heard that GLFF's cars were weighted differently to other Zacspins' cars to change the amount of maintenance it requires, making the ride more jolting. A Zacspin could work nicely out the front of Movieworld, opposite to GL. Maybe a Harry Potter themed Zacspin?

EDIT: Here's a picture to show you what I mean. Sorry for the bad quality.

Edited by Santa07

I heard that GLFF's cars were weighted differently to other Zacspins' cars to change the amount of maintenance it requires, making the ride more jolting. A Zacspin could work nicely out the front of Movieworld, opposite to GL. Maybe a Harry Potter themed Zacspin?

EDIT: Here's a picture to show you what I mean. Sorry for the bad quality.

Any source on that 'weighted differently' rumor? If something is 'more jolting' it sounds to me like it would require 'more maintenance'

I don't think the land space on the other side of the entrance to GL is going to be viable - it's a lower ground level than GL is (and GL has already been flooded out - can you imagine something lower?), and Stars Cafe Amenities block is in the way. If you're going to build there, might as well demolish Stars and open the whole area up.

Plus - Zacspin is still a terrible idea.

Edit: I can see the possibility of a theme for Harry Potter - each carriage themed to a golden snitch or a broom, and make a quidditch tie in (a snitch moves quite similar to a zacspin track...

However - the problem with that theme is that WBMW no longer has any license hold for the HP franchise - and the entire theme park licensing is held by Universal...

Edited by AlexB

Hmm... true. Is the area here any better? If they put it there then (ok this could be either an amazing idea or just impossible, probably the latter) they could take the queue (it would have to be enclosed) through this alleyway (I believe it's a staff carpark or route to the sheds or something, which could be redirected (tell me if im wrong)). Ok. I bet that's waaaaaaay too impossible but yeah, just a suggestion. And if it can't go with the harry potter theme, they could easily make it something different.

• 2 weeks later...

When i asked The operator told me that there will be lighting it just hasn't been installed yet. Same with the temporary queue, that was still to be completed also, as of my last visit in feb.

Just to add to the discussion, I have just had official confirmation from LPS that they are indeed installing a lighting suite on Hair Raiser and that they will also be adding improvements to the queue area as well!! This is great news!! JulieLovis original information she received from the Ride Op is quite correct, which just goes to prove that SOMETIMES Ride Ops can be a mine of useful information!!! Looking forward to the improvements!!

...which just goes to prove that SOMETIMES Ride Ops can be a mine of useful information!!!

In the smaller parks, where the ops are part of the park 'family' (and probably work closer to 'the boss') the info is normally a lot more forthcoming.

Likewise - these smaller 'families' of staff are proud of their little park, they want it to succeed (because that benefits them too) and so they want to give as much info as they can (and are allowed to) to their guests to entice them to come back.

The bigger parks are always concerned with protecting their next big reveal, or of their competitor stealing the idea (AquaLoop is a good example)... but it can also be because (as we've said before) until we have concrete in the ground, the park can always change their mind - Ala SeaWorld Wild.

That - and at some of the bigger parks - the staff like to screw with your head - ala Scooby fire eyes, and the many Dippin Dots stories we've had over the years.

I found the best source of information about what was coming or being done within a park was the maintenance crew. They always knew what was going on for obvious reasons. Most members of the public will never see any maintenance crew let alone speak to them so ride ops often have an advantage in that respect.

"The Bus is now leaving for the Balranald Visitor Information Centre, NSW"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was at LPS tonight on what was a very wet and extremely quiet evening in the park. I went down to check out Vivid and they have a very good attraction there where you can select colours on a giant touch screen and the design you create actually comes up on the bridge. The atmosphere in the park is truly spectacular at night, especially with the bridge lit up and even when it's quiet.

A couple of observations about the park:

1. It is looking very well kept at the moment, a lot of refreshed paint, all lights working (except Tango Train,more on that later), and immaculately presented and clean throughout. The best I have ever seen the park looking. LPS have done some great work in this regard recently.

2. Hair Raiser is sporting some new signage and it appears there are some new shade sails going in here at the moment. It's looking good, like a real permanent park ride. Hooray!

3. Perhaps most excitingly, there is fencing around where the Flying Saucer was with panels attached that say "Something new is Coming Soon. Magic is Happening" etc, although from the Ferris Wheel I could not see that any work has started. The Flying Saucer is completely gone- there is no sign of it any more. The staff I asked said they haven't been told yet when or what is happening here, only that something new is coming.

4. Tango Train is looking worse each time I visit. It looks like they are letting it go, despite various cosmetic improvements around it, the actual ride itself has seen nothing (that I can see anyway). At least it is back to running full loads and full cycles forwards and backwards. Maybe they're holding off to perform some "magic" here too when they replace Flying Saucer.

So, more exciting installments on the way for LPS and hopefully more improvements throughout the park too.

Thanks for the update Julie.

I did the Bridge Climb last Saturday night and it was quite cool having the colours on the bridge change every minute or so coming from Luna Park. Looking from the bridge back down at the park it looked great but would look even better if Hair Raiser was all lit up but I understand the reasons why it isn't.

Glad to hear something is being done about Flying Saucer and a replacement is coming but just as long as it isn't Reef Diver with a new coat of paint as that would be a major let down for a park that is doing a lot of good things at the moment.

Good to hear that Tango Train is back to full operation as last time I was there it was in the every second car empty phase and only forwards but seems like it's on it's last legs which is a shame

• 1 month later...

Just a heads up, but I rode Superman Ultimate Flight at SFDK and would definitely support the earlier suggestion that LPS should get one.

Despite the ride looking quite short, the fact is has the 2nd loop (Compared to Buzzsaw) means it doesn't feel repetitive because it doesn't repeatedly cover the same section of track over and over. In some ways I guess it felt more suprising...After going through the inline twist I was expecting subconsciously to whiz back through the station, but there is the 2nd non inverting loop.

The vertical twists are pretty snappy too.