Fright Night 2013

gdalby96

So who's going tonight? My week's coming up shortly, next Saturday, can't wait :) Anyway since the time is almost here let's get some more opinions about tonight's event. Also I think that if Reanimated35 is going again try and see if the lines for the mazes changed in any way time wise and to see if the number of people has risen or fallen compared to the last two nights just to see if there is any way that the park can get less crowded on certain nights.

The only change I noticed to the queues tonight was the fastpass for HS2 - instead of going straight down the path as per my pics last week, you just follow the queue down and walk past everyone to the front (skipping the switchbacks).

Got through ED twice in a row, Superman once - was on the first ride after the 30 minute break down. HS2 and Darkness. Finished up around 10:15pm.

Darkness just felt weird this time. It seemed somehow different. I don't know what it was, but it just seemed off tonight.

Also HS2 the group in front of us must have been crawling backwards through there. We were at the front and were trying to slow it down to the point we had to stop 3 times for about 10 sec and were still getting to the actors before they had time to prepare for the next group. Kind of sucks when the actors break character to tell you to keep hands on shoulders too.

Crowds still huge, also they didn't have any issues with us bringing back the flashing mugs to get the free refills all night.

Hate to say it, but if people followed the rules they wouldn't have to stop and say that would they...

Yeah, that's not a complaint about the park, that's a complaint about the guests forcing that reaction to happen. Props to the woman in ED who is the home owner of that cabin thing who, while she had to tell everyone to hold shoulders, she still kept the character voice going.

What's the point with the (Hands On Shoulders thing) Universal never does that to there mazes. It's really a pointless idea really

As mentioned, keeps the group together and stops the knee-jerk reactions of swinging at someone when some people get scared.

What I'd really hope to see after fright nights is MW post pics of all the actors from the mazes so we can see the makeup in better light, and then a fully lit walkthough or at least aerial shot of the mazes.

I think last night is the best one I've seen yet, not that the others were bad, but I think it keeps improving every night.

As for hands on shoulders, sadly there are a lot of morons out there that feel the need to try and break everything they can in a maze as they go through, attack the actors etc. Whilst I've seen hands on shoulders in overseas mazes, it really is Australians who have the worst culture for trying to destroy things. Sad but true

Queues were just as bad, if not slightly worse for WD - in saying that the line was just as long as last time, but it got to that length earlier in the night than last time.

Haven't done the shows yet - saving them for Friday when I hope it's a little bit quieter. (From what I've heard they haven't sold out whereas all the Saturday ones did)

Yes, but the Friday didn't sell out AFAIK, whereas the Saturday did.

Tomorrow night's #frightnights13 event has sold out, there will be a limited number of tickets available at the front gate for the full price of $59.99 but get in quickly because they will sell fast!

Queues were just as bad, if not slightly worse for WD - in saying that the line was just as long as last time, but it got to that length earlier in the night than last time. Haven't done the shows yet - saving them for Friday when I hope it's a little bit quieter. (From what I've heard they haven't sold out whereas all the Saturday ones did)

Ok thanks I'm going on Saturday ;)

Oh yeah, the gate staff didn't know the season pass holders needed wristbands. One friendly woman inside (looked like she might be the supervisor looked at the tix and had no dramas with us there. Some older not so friendly guy - may have even been the park manager or something - firstly asked us to leave because we didn't have a wristband on, then didn't seem to realise what a season pass was considering how long he looked at it, before finally telling us to go back to the turnstyles and get a wristband. When we asked for a wristband the gate staff told us we didn't need one and only gave one to us once we explained what happened.

No real drama but the guy in the park could have been more friendly considering where he works....

edit - in saying that, he did have to deal with a lot of idiots who couldn't work out how a rope works.

Edited by reanimated35

^ Or you may have just missed the person at the front gate giving out the wristbands ;) People have a tendency to simply walk right by.

Nope, we went back and asked for a wristband, only to be told we don't need them with season pass tickets and had to explain the the person at the gate what the guy told us inside.

I'm sure all of them do.. Show your ticket before 5:pm to the park then you get a wristband :D

Only if you have a VIP pass, otherwise you line up with everyone else til around 5:30.

So who's going on Saturday (puts hand up) never know which one of you guys I will randomly meet without ever knowing its you. I'm going to be one of the people using my phone to film the whole thing. I don't know whether or not I'll post the night on Youtube but we'll see, I see whether or not I'll take pictures as I want to film without much pausing (except when I'm on a ride, don't want to break my phone.)

Nope, we went back and asked for a wristband, only to be told we don't need them with season pass tickets and had to explain the the person at the gate what the guy told us inside.

Yeah, you obviously went in when wristbands were still being given out, but when you came back it just clocked over to the park being clear of daytime visitors (therefore, no need for wristbands). The guy was only doing his job.

Anyways, back on topic. I went on Friday night (the one night I wasn't working) and must say I enjoyed it for the most part. I preferred the opening this year and thought it was well done with the lighting and fire effects, along with the monsters/zombies sliding along their knees into the crowd to get some good scares. But what probably could have been done better was the 'release' of people into the park. One side of the rope was dropped first resulting in the flood of people trying to jump over (And many trip) on the other side.

Now, mazes. As for people complaining about not getting much done that night, if they planned well they could have. I achieved all 4 mazes, along with Scooby, Arkham and Superman (even with a break down). My favourite maze was most definitely The Darkness, which we were going to skip due to poor reviews. Although it wasn't the best themed, it was definitely the scariest, especially with the tricks they play on your senses. Just as your eyes begin to readjust, a nice bright UV light brightens up the room again. The foam wall slappers freaked our group out the first time we got hit by one and overall this maze really got to us.

Hillbilly was a close second. This maze was extremely well done, especially the sewer entrance. It really just makes you realize how much work goes into these Fright Night attractions. This maze did have the 'creepy' factor more than the 'jump scare' factor. I appreciated the detail and effort in Walking Dead and Evil Dead (especially how WD went through the different seasons and the effort gone to with the RV), but they just didn't have the scares in them. Evil Dead was definitely my least favourite due to the number of people going through the maze at once and it became obvious throughout the night that ED was either a love or hate attraction.

All in all, great night, great atmosphere (especially the Main Street flamethrowers on the buildings) and wish I could go for another night (if only).