Dreamworld and White Water World or Movie World, Wet n Wild or Seaworld.

I'm heading up to the Gold Coast in November, and I want to visit some theme parks while i'm there. The only parks I have been too before are Dreamworld (I was only tall enough for the small rides back then), Movie World (back when the Superman Escape was only new) and Wet n Wild (before the AquaLoops, and I dind't go on the Jetsteams as the lines was too long). Now I'm going when it won't be holidays so there are no long lines. What is the best choice for a thrill seeker, Dreamworld and White Water World or Movie World, Wet n Wild and Seaworld. Note that the Cyclone will be closed a Dreamworld when I'm at the gold coast

Edited by joz

RACV discount helps me. I usually go to Movie World, Dreamworld and Sea World for less than what Gazza Quoted. Only buying single day passes at RACV discounted rates. I'm not going back during the year so I don't see the point of the VIP or World Pass, and I'd love to visit Wet'n Wild but I probably have to go to that on my own(my mate in Queensland that I usually go with prefers the Dry parks) Which I find weird and frightening. Now there's one in Sydney, I'll finally get round to it late next year hopefully. My point is I want that specific combo, and don't need the VIP. So RACV helps alot.

RACV advertises Theme Park tickets for up to 10% off. A single day ticket is $85. So $170, less 10% is $153.

Now please, explain to everyone why you think $153 is cheaper than $109 for tickets to both Sea World and Movie World.

Anyway, I'd say MW SW and WnW are the better choices for thrill seekers. WnW has the edge for thrill slides, and between MW and SW they will have the edge in terms of quality thrill rides. Having said that though, if you've been on Superman, you've been on Movie World's most thrilling ride, on the other hand, Giant Drop is still by a fair margin the most thrilling ride on the Gold Coast, and it alone is a compelling reason for considering Dreamworld.

I had an extra discount on top of the RACV one. Forgot to mention it. Concession fare(Newstart DES). Ended up paying about $45 for each ticket. $135 total, including Dreamworld. Last I checked, the VIP pass doesn't have a concession rate. Perhaps that's just something VRTP should consider. Perhaps do the same deal for $100 on concession(they'd save $50 on the full concession fare, and it would get much more VIP sales). VIP is a pretty good for full price patrons, but pretty useless for concession patrons only visiting once and that want to visit Dreamworld instead of Wet 'n Wild. Point is I wanted MW, SW and Dreamworld for 1-day each. Not Wet 'n Wild or White Water World. Not going to be back under a year, and didn't want to pay the extra $60 or so for access to two parks I wasn't going to go to. So clearly it was a money saver for me not to get the VIP. "Not going back for at least a year, Got Concession card, got RACV, MUST go to Dreamworld NOT Wet 'n Wild"... Concession buyers looking to visit all the Parks only save about $40 on the VIP pass, and about the same on the World pass. Compared to full fare savings(almost $150 in savings on the VIP pass alone), that's pretty shit. EDIT: Just refreshed my memory on the Pension/concession fare price.

Edited by colliric_855

But if you're going to take concessions into account - doesn't Dreamworld offer a concession priced world pass?

At $45 per park, of course it works out cheaper when you're not doing the waterparks. The OP WAS talking about waterparks, and the moment you factor them in, the VIP or World pass becomes a better value - which also happens to allow more than one day's visit. It only isn't good value for you because if you bought a VIP pass you wouldn't use 1/3 of it.

In my opinion - if you're going to travel from interstate to visit the parks, an 'extra' day is needed. If I remember the old 3 Park Super Pass, you got to visit all 3 VRTP parks, and then pick one park to come back and do again.... 4 days at three parks... and it was good to go back and do things you missed.

In answer to the original question - I would say do MW, SW & WnW, with a VIP, but Joz is right - the most thrilling ride is in Dreamworld, but the better balanced mix is really your VIP. If you have more than a week,

Untitled11.png

Most people have suggest MW, WNW and SW so i'm starting to consider going there rather and DW and WWW. Quick question, with the Cyclone being closed, is it really worth going to Dreamworld as it is the only real Roller Coaster there.

But u have TOT2 and GD which are unique experiences. BuzzSaw which gets a bad rap but is a great ride if you are not expecting a full circuit coaster. The Claw is also my favourite non-coaster on the Gold Coast. I personally prefer WWW to WnW, no where near as many slides but for me the quality is better and a lot less people. Personal preference though. Given access to WWW is only an extra $15 on DW tickets and you can walk between the two it's makes the ease of visiting 2 parks in a day a plus. MW DW/WWW SW WnW Would be my order of preference. All in all just buy both passes.

The Storms opening has been pushed back until December now, with the new polar bear exhibit set to open for the September school holidays instead.

Well that sucks, being what is refered to as a 'thrill seeker', the polar bear exhibit doesn't really interest me. I was originally considering going to DW and WWW, but with the Cyclone being closed in November when i'm going, that caused me to reconsider and make this post.

Well that sucks, being what is refered to as a 'thrill seeker', the polar bear exhibit doesn't really interest me. I was originally considering going to DW and WWW, but with the Cyclone being closed in November when i'm going, that caused me to reconsider and make this post.

Well SW's major market is families (and international tourists) so the polar bear cub will be extremely popular. This allows them 2 major drawcards in successive holiday periods. Smart move IMO. Oh, and if the availability of Cyclone is a determining factor on your choice to visit DW - you're focus as a thrill seeker is in the wrong direction. I'd rate TOT2, GD, BS, wipeout, the claw & pandemonium as more thrilling than Cyclone.

Well SW's major market is families (and international tourists) so the polar bear cub will be extremely popular. This allows them 2 major drawcards in successive holiday periods. Smart move IMO. Oh, and if the availability of Cyclone is a determining factor on your choice to visit DW - you're focus as a thrill seeker is in the wrong direction. I'd rate TOT2, GD, BS, wipeout, the claw & pandemonium as more thrilling than Cyclone.

Those rides all appeal to me as well, but coasters are my favorite types of rides, and seeing a big roller coaster that I can't go on while I line up for the Wipeout will be a big tease.

If your major drawcard is coasters go to MW.. 4 to choose from (5 if u include RR)..

+ Sea World = 7(inc Storm)... If you're a coaster nut, the "MW and SW" combo is a must. Do those first, and then Dreamworld. Best riding Jet Rescue first and skipping the Mick Doohan entirely(or riding it "if you must"). Even without Storm, the park still has two great coasters(which personally I like more than Cyclone). Edited by colliric_855

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

This is the way I look at it:

Movie World: If you like thrill rides, super heroes or looney tunes you go here.

Sea World: If you don't want many rides, but want a good day out to see all different creatures you go here.

Dreamworld: If you haven't seen Australian Wildlife before and you also want rides for all ages you go here.

Wet n Wild: You want to go to a water park with thrill rides and family rides you go here.

White Water World: Want to go out for half a day and want a few family and thrill rides.

Ended up going to Movie World, Wet n Wild and Dreamworld, not the combination I expected at all, but the best one for ride fans.

I must disagree - excluding Sea World loses out on major attractions that far exceed that at Dreamworld - Jet Rescue vs. MDMC, Viper vs. Cyclone.

If you're talking 'quantity' of rides, then fair enough, but Quality? You've skipped out on a handful of top quality attractions.

Just my opinion, nothing more.

^I think Storm Coaster will balance things a bit more. Jet Rescue is good, but I don't think anyone bases a DW v SW decision on decades old Arrow loopers.

A ride fan is likely wanting to try TOT2, The Claw, Thunder River, Giant Drop, Buzzsaw and Pandamonium, all of which are compelling enough for someone who hasn't been on them before...It's not like MDMC being boring diminishes from giant drop right next to it.

Well, it depends if you want waterslides, rollercoasters, or flat rides. For waterslides, go to WNW, rollercoasters, MW, and flat rides DW

Movieworld has 5 coasters, which is exactly the same amount as what Dreamworld possesses.Now I understand that purely on quality they are not equal but the fact remains that they are equal in coaster units to each other. Dreamworld does have far more flats ,however, this distinction is not overly discernible to the average Theme Park visitor, nor will they be as critical in judging the coasters as an enthusiast would be.

I must disagree - excluding Sea World loses out on major attractions that far exceed that at Dreamworld - Jet Rescue vs. MDMC, Viper vs. Cyclone. If you're talking 'quantity' of rides, then fair enough, but Quality? You've skipped out on a handful of top quality attractions. Just my opinion, nothing more.

IMHO Cyclone gets a bad rap. I do not think it is that bad a ride at all and I think it stacks up quite well , especially when it's is measured against Sea Viper.