Return of Sydney Wonderland?

Andrew6S

I really think this project has merit and as a property developer and federal political candidate Ammar has a real chance at getting this off the ground. Whether or not it comes together like the current proposal I don't know, but chances are it will change dramatically over time, like any development.

I worked with Ammar at Wonderland and know that he has the passion, knowledge and balls to get this going.

bladex, really? A picture of a character from a show called Citizen Khan, could you be any more offensive? I suppose you think all Asian look the same too?

"The Bus is now leaving for Khanyunnig, NSW"

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.stmarysstar.com.au/story/1730915/new-theme-park-plan-to-bring-back-the-fun/?cs=1508

I don't understand why this 'proposal' is being given so much airtime and credibility. It's ridiculous. NOT going to happen. This guy is obviously good at getting the local papers excited but that's about it. Check out the artists impression in the article above. It's hideous! Probably better for all of us if it doesn't happen if that's what it's going to look like. I don't see how it can be taken seriously - it looks like a 10 year old fan boy made the image

Edited by GoGoBoy

Everyone is entitled to their opinion whether it is positive or negative or offensive, however in line with positive intentions and wanting growth for Sydney in general I would appreciate constructive criticism ...but freedom of speech is your right. My background: I am a successful businessman - a qualified property developer, builder and real estate agent. I have been in business and investments since age 21, working extremely hard and achieving all goals that I set my mind to. I have done well for myself, and my life determination now is to give something back - add value to as many people as possible, set them on the path to prosperity. I am humbled to have already changed many lives for the better. The project: I am the project director, and have been relentlessly working away working on solutions and gathering organisations for many years to take part in bringing Wonderland back. My call for Expressions of Interest has had an excellent response, brought in all the remaining parties needed, and looks like we are on our way. With the theme park precinct up and running, we want to create not just immense employment opportunities but also create a lot of small businesses in process. I then look forward to working harmoniously with all tourism operators in NSW and jointly working to boost the tourism industry. I am really grateful to those of you who have shown their belief in me and the project. Ammar Khan

It's been suggested on Facebook that this might be a little more of a political stunt.

In case you all haven't done too much research, Mr Khan is running for federal parliament.

We have yet to see any other stakeholder come out publicly and announce their involvement. All of these mysterious 'parties' continue to be unnamed.

We'll see what happens after September 7th.

On another note Ammar, you have stated you are a qualified builder, and real estate agent.

I am wondering whether my freedom of information (FOI) enquiries with the Master Builder's Association, or the NSW Dept of Fair Trading will confirm you hold the necessary licenses and qualifications to hold yourself out to be both of those things.

Please don't misunderstand me Ammar - I'm sure you can see by my signature block that I am a very big supporter of Wonderland. However so far, I've seen very little from you except big talk with little in the way of substantiation other than some very poor 3d renderings done by an 8th grader on an easily created website.

I'm just asking you to put something a little more concrete on the table to prove this is legitimate.

You had better not be using this as an electoral stunt... that's all I have to say.

in general I would appreciate constructive criticism

There's an interesting debate over on the FB page about the importance of the location of a new Wonderland...Whilst being by a rail line or something will be useful, I reckon the fundamental reason the original WL failed was just because it wasn't an attractive proposition for visitors.

Obviously, one big factor contributing to WLs downfall is that they never built new rides, and in fact shut some down and made the park smaller. This acted as a disincentive to repeat visits.

But overall, if the base offering were any good the park would have remained popular....Except it wasn't popular.

Despite the emotional attachment people had to the place and how much people go on about how it was "the best place ever" (See the WL History FB page), objectively, the park wasn't that great....

-Only had two roller coasters, and no kids coasters (Because they closed the only one suitable for families....a nice way to alienate a big chunk of the market)

-Similarly, the closure of Hannah Babera land made the park less attractive for families too. The Beach Water park also served families with kids poorly too...A number of huge freefall slides for thrillseekers and a long slide in the dark, but basically only some boring shallow pools to entertain everyone else

-The coasters themselves were fairly unexceptional too...Bush Beast was rough and had no airtime, Demon was rough, short, run of the mill Boomerang clone.

-Beyond that, I'd argue it was really only Snowy River Rampage, Space Probe and Bountys Revenge that were really any good.

-So at best, the park had 5 attractions worth going for, and even then they were still pretty average.

-Overreliance on "spin n spew" rides to make up the rest of the lineup....which is exactly what Luna Park had, so hardly a point of difference.

So my final bit of constructive feedback.....If the vision for a new Wonderland is a "fairground" style park with expanses of concrete, and old fashioned rides like ferris wheels and sideshow games and swinging chair rides like what is shown in the renders;

Wonderland%20restaurants.jpgWonderland%20rides.jpg

Then I don't think the park will really be that captivating and appealing in the 21st century...I'd urge you to do some background research on the rides on offer, and the look and feel of the best theme parks out there....Here are a few pics that capture what i mean:

raptor41s.jpg

nj70j6jo7gg8n0ob8004ap.jpg

battle_galleons_160308_16.jpg

8208357200_27c54b383f_z.jpg

dsc00863.jpg

bjh01st0012v84pku1s0v2.jpg

Talocan_4.jpg

9cq7pg001gk2cqf0v48j49.jpg

Edited by Gazza

AlexB and others I have known Ammar for around 15 years now, we worked at Wonderland together. Ammar had his own real estate agency in Blacktown for a while before focusing on property development so I'm guessing any FOI checks would confirm this. What everyone has to remember is that Ammar is a Federal candidate who has put this information out there to get his name in peoples minds in his electorate. Do I think he will win a seat, probably not, but that is because he is not running for one of the major parties. I don't live his electorate so won't be voting for him. However I do believe that he will get this development started with the back of investors. At the moment it is still early stages so who cares about the renders and website, in time it will get better. And remember that the theme park is only one component of the overall project, this means that the park won't just be relying on rides to bring people in. "The Bus is now leaving for the Federal Electorate of Greenway"

At the moment it is still early stages so who cares about the renders and website, in time it will get better.

While I agree with most of the other stuff you said, this is 2013, not 1993, websites and renders on those websites matter a lot. Doesn't make a difference if it's early stages or 2 days from the grand opening. The website and renders are two of the things potential investors are going to look at. Do you think they'd rather see some professional site that appears to have been designed recently, or a site that looks as though it was a school/uni project a several years ago?

Dreamworld and MW were on par with this site.....in 1999.

http://web.archive.org/web/19981212013703/http://dreamworld.com.au/

http://web.archive.org/web/19990117003006/http://www.movieworld.com.au/

My suggestion - go ahead with the park, but don't try to promote it as Wonderland if it's going to be sub-par to the Royal Easter Show, and get some more up to date renders done. (Check out Theme Park Studio coming out early next year)

• 4 weeks later...

It looks like I may have had some poor views of Mr Khan.

As mentioned in the other thread (now closed) - Sydney's Wonderland website is up and running at www.sydneyswonderland.com.au

Although some of the original (poor) renderings and artist's impressions are still present on the site, there are far more (read: better) renderings also.

Some information is starting to look more like there is actually a plan for this that will work. There really isn't any more substance to the website other than some slightly better drawings of some pictures, and most of the information on the site are more flowery words, not facts, statistics or other 'potential investor' type information... so it is still lacking to some degree...

However... a company has been registered with ASIC (www.asic.gov.au) called Western Sydney Theme Park Pty Ltd. The business name 'Sydney's Wonderland' has also been registered, and an ABN for the company also obtained at the australian business register http://abr.business.gov.au/Search.aspx?SearchText=51%20158%20135%20490

While you can get an ABN for just about anything and anyone, an ACN (Pty Ltd) and the business name aren't free registrations. The compliance requirements for a P/L company are also costly... so at least for now it's probably got SOME sort of commercial merit.

Edited by AlexB
Fixed URL

While I champion the return of a theme park to Sydney, I'd like to see one return under a different name! Wonderland has been dead and gone for a very long time now.

Some people may disagree with me, but I feel like people will forever compare this park IF it gets off the ground to the old one; and if they feel its not as good it could blow up in their faces in a very bad way. While, I never visited the park, there's a lot of people out there who some to have very fond memories of the place and have a lot of nostalgia for it.

I get now leveraging off the Wonderland name is a great marketing tool and to get exposure, I just feel its a dangerous line to walk come opening day.

Oh man, you raised my hopes with the caption of this thread. Unfortunately nothing is going to happen...

What do you base that assumption on? "The Bus is now leaving for Assumption Catholic Primary School, Western Australia" Edited by Bussy