Farewell Dreamworld's Steam Trains

T-bone

I noticed that they have a few trains in storage. Even the old green one seen in the Young Talent Time special. The trains did close early today. I boarded at the Wildlife Experence station at around 4.05 and we were told to get off at Main Street. Then train then went backwards to the shed. I think the Train should continue to operate till 5pm.

The Perry (Green) is now out of use, sitting in the back of the shed, the new train was out for all to see at the front of the shed today, then they also have a small diesel train which hauls maintenance cars, then there is of course the Baldwin (Red) which will run until the end. Staffing cutbacks are the reason the train finishes just after 4pm and doesn't operate during lunch time.

Most historical railways operate off the back of Donations(to the historical societies), Government Funding, the tourism bucks, Volunteer Workers, Steam Train operators that are retired or "working for the fun of it".... The list goes on. Dreamworld doesn't have the advantage of being able to do the same.

You don't think Dreamworld couldn't have spent all of no money allowing a historical society into their maintenance shed (which have already stated they'd maintain the trains for free) for some epic PR and show of goodwill?

The problem there Slick is you're allowing unpaid workers into a commercial organisation.

If a volunteer rail museum type place is operating, and a boiler explodes injuring many, the public liability insurer will pay out, and then dump the society - they will never be insured again, and therefore closed down... no big deal right?

If a volunteer is operating an attraction within a commercial enterprise where fees are charged for admission (rather than 'donations') and a boiler explodes - ardent leisure would be sued as they are the 'operators' of the property. The volunteers, while professional, aren't held to the same 'standards' that a paid employee is held.

No - offering up the Dreamworld Railway locomotives to a volunteer society is absolutely a no-go zone.

The problem there Slick is you're allowing unpaid workers into a commercial organisation. If a volunteer rail museum type place is operating, and a boiler explodes injuring many, the public liability insurer will pay out, and then dump the society - they will never be insured again, and therefore closed down... no big deal right? If a volunteer is operating an attraction within a commercial enterprise where fees are charged for admission (rather than 'donations') and a boiler explodes - ardent leisure would be sued as they are the 'operators' of the property. The volunteers, while professional, aren't held to the same 'standards' that a paid employee is held. No - offering up the Dreamworld Railway locomotives to a volunteer society is absolutely a no-go zone.

Not to mention Dreamworld can't exactly take on Volunteer employees due to it's commercial nature. Also if a boiler exploded on say Puffing Billy, the popularity of that railway would no doubt preserve the existence of it in the long run. You couldn't just shut it down. After a safety review and appropriate downtime, it would be back up and running with Government assistance(heck that's how it started in the first place).

As does Tiger Island.

What i'm saying is, why on earth couldn't a train club come in, keep them maintained, hold meetings and exhibitions inside the main shed (and produce a new, very sorely needed loyal fanbase for Dreamworld) and have the current team of four engineers check and mark off their work and continue to operate the trains during the day as is?

That's the whole point Slick - the current 4 engineers cost too much money.

Working one 8 hour shift per week caring for animals and providing basic customer service is very different to being the sole source of mechanical maintenance and safety for something that can kill if handled poorly.

"If the pirates of the carribean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists" - Ian Malcolm.

...and also although we all have a soft spot for steamies, Diesel engines do a good job of simulating the experience and are already used as backup/alternates on most historical lines. There won't be much difference in actual passenger experience, so that probably factors into Dreamworld's decision quite a bit. If it's only just one new locomotive, it could be simply because they're following expert advice and just getting a Diesel backup in line with other historical railways, and even perhaps actually putting on more services rather than reducing the number.

If it's only just one new locomotive, it could be simply because they're following expert advice and just getting a Diesel backup in line with other historical railways, and even perhaps actually putting on more services rather than reducing the number.

No - it's clearly been said that the steam engines are out the door.

If it's only just one new locomotive, it could be simply because they're following expert advice and just getting a Diesel backup in line with other historical railways, and even perhaps actually putting on more services rather than reducing the number.

This is Dreamworld remember, Dreamworld don't spend money on back ups and "what if" situations, let alone getting a new custom locomotive built to sit in the shed on the odd chance that the boiler on one of the steamers unexpectedly explodes...

This is Dreamworld remember, Dreamworld don't spend money on back ups and "what if" situations, let alone getting a new custom locomotive built to sit in the shed on the odd chance that the boiler on one of the steamers unexpectedly explodes...

Actually they would use it to ease the overall load on the aging boilers, and also on wet weather days, rather than just sit in a shed disused. That's how they get used on the Puffing Billy. And I believe they do also have a diesel that sits in a shed and only comes out on special occasions, Diesel(from Thomas the Tank Engine). I agree it's probably unlikely dreamworld have the cash for a full backup system though.

Actually they would use it to ease the overall load on the aging boilers, and also on wet weather days, rather than just sit in a shed disused. That's how they get used on the Puffing Billy. And I believe they do also have a diesel that sits in a shed and only comes out on special occasions, Diesel(from Thomas the Tank Engine).

I applaud you for wishfull thinking, but no, it is not what is happening.

Not sure if you are referring to the Diesel engine which sits out the back of the shed, but if you are, it doesn't run for revenue service, it is a maintenance vehicle for when the track is being worked on, and it is not themed to any Thomas the Tank Engine characters.

I applaud you for wishfull thinking, but no, it is not what is happening. Not sure if you are referring to the Diesel engine which sits out the back of the shed, but if you are, it doesn't run for revenue service, it is a maintenance vehicle for when the track is being worked on, and it is not themed to any Thomas the Tank Engine characters.

They have a Diesel engine that IS themed to the Thomas The Tank Engine character "Diesel". It only gets used for the specially themed kids days.

Just to touch on the 'backup' theory again -

Most historical railway societies have diesel locos as backups to their steamer fleet as backup and recovery vehicles in case of breakdown, to assist in bringing the train back to the station.

This is very necessary - especially in cases where the passenger cars are far away from the station - such as is the case on the Zig Zag Railway.

On the other hand - if the Dreamworld railway breaks down at any point - unless it is across the two points that are level crossings (one near main street and the other at the back end of AWE) then there isn't really a need to move the train in a hurry. It's a flat and level grade most of the way, and with vehicular access almost all the way around, they could just tow it back with a tow truck on hire by the hour.

Hardly justification for an entire loco dedicated to the task.

As for 'specially themed' days, i think you might be mistaken. I'm inclined to take T-bone's side of this argument. Knowing his affinity for trains, i'm pretty sure he would know better than most.

As for 'specially themed' days, i think you might be mistaken. I'm inclined to take T-bone's side of this argument. Knowing his affinity for trains, i'm pretty sure he would know better than most.

And you would be wrong... Google "Thomas at Puffing Billy" From the official page "a 20 Minute train ride with 'Thomas' or 'Diesel'" They also have Thomas himself as the main train. But obviously if Thomas can't run for whatever reason, Diesel is the backup in that unique situation. Can't dissapoint the kids with an unthemed train! And Thomas is a specially built steam engine. I've seen both trains. Edited by colliric_855

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update. Word is that after a small delay, the new diesel locomotive is to start revenue service from next week, with Steam operations finishing on Monday. Ofcourse subject to change if other delays occur, but it is what they are aiming for. If you want one last ride, time is running out.

It has been mentioned a few times that the Perry (the green loco) is destined to become a display piece (similar to Little Puff), and will find a new home out the front of Central Park station where the crocodile statue is. Nothing Has been said about the Baldwin engine though. That said, nothing is in concrete regarding their future.