Farewell Dreamworld's Steam Trains

T-bone

Given the history of these locomotives, I do not want to see them scrapped or sold to a society or owner where they will sit outside and rust away. I'd like to see someone get them who knows their history and has the expertise to restore them and to fix their ailments. One good society for them to go to would be the Bundaberg Sugar Railway society, but I understand they are still struggling after the floods, and wouldn't be in a position to take them on. I won't lie, there have been talks that there are interested parties looking to purchase atleast one of the locomotives, I won't name names or societies, but there is interest in them outside the park. Knowing Dreamworld though, they will insist on turning these machines (which still have plenty of life in them) into "themeing", which is just incredibly sad.

Given the history of these locomotives, I do not want to see them scrapped or sold to a society or owner where they will sit outside and rust away. I'd like to see someone get them who knows their history and has the expertise to restore them and to fix their ailments. One good society for them to go to would be the Bundaberg Sugar Railway society, but I understand they are still struggling after the floods, and wouldn't be in a position to take them on. I won't lie, there have been talks that there are interested parties looking to purchase atleast one of the locomotives, I won't name names or societies, but there is interest in them outside the park. Knowing Dreamworld though, they will insist on turning these machines (which still have plenty of life in them) into "themeing", which is just incredibly sad.

Yeah that's what I actually meant. A historical steam-train society that will put them to good use.

I agree with the last comment well. They could even just donate them(especially to the society you mentioned), which would give Ardent some much needed good local publicity, but knowing Dreamworld they won't. And they won't sell them at a charitable price either. So they'll just sit there unused.

These locomotives are in very good condition. Any historical society would be doing very well if it were to attain these working locomotives. As you said T-Bone, it would be a shame to see these fine examples become static ornaments. A steam locomotive is a living breathing mechanical wonder and each unit have their own distinct personalities. To permanently extinguish their fires and prevent them from being a working locomotive would be a tragedy and a terrible loss to the history of rail in Queensland.

Putting Dreamworld's questionable definitions of "theming" and "paying homage to classic attractions" aside, I think we should be thankful that they didn't cease operations of the train altogether. Since the locomotives still had life in them it would be great for them to live on elsewhere, however, I believe Dreamworld would only get rid of them if they could make some money out of it.

Well that is True, it could have been closed Sea World style, so I give them credit for spending the money to do it, however regardless of how you look at it, it is still a major bastardisation of a park original attraction. All that said, the attraction is now closed, RIP Cannonball Express, 1981-2013, and with that goes a large part of the parks soul.

As politely as I could, I added this to the Dreamworld Facebook page, and along with several other posts from others I don't know who basically called Dreamworld for removing a huge part of the park's heritage, they've all since been deleted, along with a nice message from the PR team -

Hi Benjamin,

You have already posted this on our page so it has already been shared around the 'office'.

I appreciate that you have a special attachment to the Train and very strong thoughts on Dreamworld's direction. Thank you for sharing your perception.

and

Hi Benjamin, Thanks for popping past. Our new trains are now up and running everyday.

What an asshat thing to do. Nothing says "fuck you" like completely disregarding someone's opinion and whitewashing it with PR spin.

It's a sad time for us all, the last chapter of the park's originally rich history is now at a close. I hopped on the last ride ever yesterday and made up a video clip sharing my thoughts and ended up having a chat to Teddy and Paul, two of the park's steam train engineers.

Great clip Slick. Excellent but very sad at the same time. Its great that you documented this for all to see!

As politely as I could, I added this to the Dreamworld Facebook page, and along with several other posts from others I don't know who basically called Dreamworld for removing a huge part of the park's heritage, they've all since been deleted, along with a nice message from the PR team -

and

What an asshat thing to do. Nothing says "fuck you" like completely disregarding someone's opinion and whitewashing it with PR spin.

Not a good look is it. Dreamworld would probably understand that this decision would upset quite a few people but woe betide anyone who dares to voice that disappointment!! Sad indictment of the level of service that Dreamworld are willing to give!! Not very user friendly !!

I will say as an update to this rolling story, Dreamworld PR did get back to me directly and at great length shared some general thoughts about my opinion, which I can respect.

Now I just feel kinda sorry for PR. Imagine being the team who have to cop negativity of other's actions literally 24/7. Awesome.

For anyone that is interested, there is a petition going around to save the steam engines.

http://www.change.org/en-AU/petitions/dreamworld-theme-park-gold-coast-bring-back-the-steam-trains

Whether anything will occur as a result of this petition is a different story, but I am happy to see that there seems to be interest in these locomotives outside of the Theme Park community.

DREAMWORLD WELCOMES NEW TRAIN DREAMWORLD RAILWAY HAS TAKEN DELIVERY OF A NEW ENGINE TO PULL IT’S ICONIC CARRIAGES

One of the most popular family attractions at Dreamworld, the Dreamworld Railway, has received a welcome upgrade as part of a plan to reduce the park’s carbon footprint.

Having made its maiden journey this week, Dreamworld are proud to confirm that the efficiency of the new combustion engine made by Australian company John Deere, has reduced carbon emissions by 90%.

Dreamworld CEO, Craig Davidson says, “Dreamworld’s trains have been a family favourite since the park opened in 1981, so it was important that we considered all measures to keep this attraction going while staying true to our commitment to the environment it operates in.” “This beautiful new engine is something we’re very proud and allows us to run the Dreamworld Railway train more frequently so more of our guests can enjoy the experience”

Albeit a new efficient engine, the aesthetics of the train are very traditional and modelled on the grand old railway era. We are currently reviewing options to relocate the Perry and Baldwin locos to good homes.

Dreamworld General Manager Life Sciences, Al Mucci says, “The new quieter engine has been a welcome change for the harmony of our animals as the railway runs through the Australian Wildlife Experience.” All aboard to come and try the new Dreamworld Railway…

So yeah guys, not cost cutting it was done to help the environment! ;)

What a load of bullshit. If this doesn't make you angry you're not a park enthusiast in my book. This is the day dreamworld jumped the shark well and truly. The fact that staff are being laid off now (as was the whole point all along) along with the factual inaccuracy that the train was made in Australia (it's not, it's made by a completely different company in Italy) makes me red with rage. It's just pr spin. What a way to turn greedy management, lay offs and a complete show of contempt for their customers as a "green initiative."

Write to the source of the article expressing the truth behind it, it generally works re Herald Sun although I'm sure this article isn't as heavily circulated as those in the Herald Sun, Age etc

Don't write to the source, write to the newspapers and tell them to publish how much crap is in that.

Edited by mba2012

Well I hope they plan on switching to some sort of bio-diesel to achieve their low emissions target, and not the regular diesel they used for the steam trains... There's so much wrong with that article / press release that I don't know where to start, what a serious load of hogwash. I'd have more respect for them if they just came out and said that it was for cost cutting measures than I do reading that.

Dreamworld General Manager Life Sciences, Al Mucci says, “The new quieter engine has been a welcome change for the harmony of our animals as the railway runs through the Australian Wildlife Experience.” All aboard to come and try the new Dreamworld Railway…

There is only one ride so loud it can be heard in the AWE and it is not the train...

• 2 weeks later...