good things to put in dream world

Guest ASHLEE

Elaborate some more old mate. It's developing beautifully. We'll get an informative post out of you by the time you've got 56 racked up. Come on mate. Don't be shy. Give us some thoughts about your water ride. What sort of water ride? I think that is what Tricky Dicky was getting at... Welcome to the forum. Good to have you on board Ash. Take no notice of the sh*t stirrers around here either. They're trouble. :P

Yeah, i think that an intamin Pelirious Plunge style ride would go down nice, but I dont think they will build one because moive world have already got a similar ride, and I imagine DW will be looking for unique rides, Hence the gyro swing. I also think a new looper will go down nicely, I am really just waiting for a park to do something really ground breaking, and blow the other parks out of the water, I wanna see a coaster war. If they wanted to build something low cost, then adding some new waterslides to Blue Lagoon could work. just a big timber tower with a thatched roof and 8 or so slides snaking from it would work well. Maybe something the park needs is a decent dark ride, maybe one with a doom type theme near TOTs entry would go down nice. On another note, I think the LIM section of TOT should be enclosed in a plastic/metal tube. It would make things quieter and it could be interesting riding through a space age tunnel. and in the section over Model T lane could be a timber walled section with metalic lining on the inside, and all those little white buildings under the track should be themed or painted.

Wooden coasters have a special feel to them, if a park has 5 coasters, at least 1 of them should be a wooden ride. If they are a thing of the past, why do parks build rides with lifthills if we have launches ? Or sitting coasters if you can lay down ? What about the classic top spin and breakdance rides so many parks have ? And the caroussels ? Aren't those "things of the past" as well ? I think everyone here would love to see a twisted woodie similar to Wildcat, Balder, Thunderhead or Raven at MovieWorld or Dreamworld. No only do they give a great ride, they also look great and appeal to a broad audience.

My theory on the Perilous Plunge style ride is Knott's Berry Farm can't operate theirs with a capacity of over about 80pph (that's absolultely no exaggeration either, and has very little to do with the stupid restraints), yet run most of their rides pretty efficiently, I would hate to see Dreamworld, who are pretty well hopeless when it comes to ride capacity, give the thing a shot. As for a wooden coaster, they're certainly not a thing of the past. Especially in times like these when attendance is down and the economy's not so great (USA mainly), we're seeing a lot of parks turning for these sorts of cheaper rides - wooden coasters, wild mouses and flat rides. A wooden coaster today is not the same as one 20 years ago. Maintained, they can range anywhere from being silky smooth to "having character", and it's no great task to keep them this way even five or more years down the track. A wooden coaster is typically half the cost of a steel coaster of the same size, they have roughly the same capacity. Now, Dreamworld aren't the greatest for maintenance, but Cyclone's the closest they've got to rough these days and that could be running A LOT worse than it currently is. I could almost trust Dreamworld with a wooden coaster. However, my pick is still with a nice B&M. Anything from their catalogue does me fine, because they're all the best of the best, and need no more maintenance than what a week or two every year can give. So long as it has two or more trains and makes use of them all when needed, I'd be very happy. Stick one with a station near the Aftermath shop and have the lift hill heading roughly where Thunderbolt's loops were/are/shouldn't be and have a drop curving to the left with most of the guts of the ride way out, well past where Thunderbolt lies and you've got a very cool big coaster and still plenty of room for Tony's three or four other thrill rides. All you've got to do is give it a name like "Thunderbolt's Revenge" and evidently everyone but me will think it's the coolest thing to do. :)

I'm sure they are, but as far as I'm concerned in the world of steel, get them, they look much better anyway. A thing of the past didn't exactly come out as intended. I just think wood can look really old and sometimes tacky. A wooden coaster would not suit a place like Dreamworld or Movie World. However I think it worked well at Wonderland with the 'Goldrush' theme.

It just looks like a normal woody to me, but as far as I'm concerned they have to be in the correct place. i.e. 1800's or 'old days' theme. Wonderland is also a modern park, but has the 'old' themed section (Goldrush), just like the Movie World above by the looks of it. A woody is fine in this case. I just don't think they're good for a normal modern theme park such as Dreamworld. It just wouldn't go. It would be totally out of place in my book surrounded by modern looking structures. Bring on the steel coasters. They look much better. Wooden coasters can look tacky.

You just need to ride Ghostrider is all Dan...I think that pretty much sums up the argument. My god that thing is amazing. I really think MW should be the ones to go down the woodie path. Put it over near WWF and it could easily be themed to the old west. MW would give it the capacity and the attention it needed. And we all know that if it was built at MW it would be nothing short of fantastic :-)

I remember when Wild Wild West had it's name change to Wild West Falls. I contacted the park to just see what the exact story was, slipping in that it'd be great if the reason was to build a Wild Wild West woodie like the other two Movie World's. What I got back was essentially, "The name change was because of a licensing issue, though I think the wooden coaster would be a much better reason!" Don't go reading more into it than there is, but I always thought it was cool that at least someone there knows how cool it would be. I doubt that with the way that they push gimick/uniqueness over thrill, we have too much chance of getting a wooden coaster at Movie World, but it sure as hell would fit in in the western area! Dan, wooden coasters designed in the 70's and 80's can and do look tacky (seemingly with the noticeable exception of SFMM's Colossus, which took 20 years of neglect to go from breathtaking to tacky), as is the case of Bush Beast. Modern wooden coasters look anything but tacky. Layouts have become more flowing and make use of nice swooping banked turns, which results in very picturesque looking rides. The more this conversation goes on about woodies, the more my vote earlier for a B&M switches to a nice wooden coaster.

Yes I totaly agree Richard. And it is a damn shame about colossus, theres nothing I hate to see more than sagging wood and peeling paint :( It still is a damn cool ride though, and I was so glad when I finaly got to ride it after seeing the Vincent Price doco. and Griswalds all those years ago :-) I think a woodie would be great for MW, followed by an indoor matrix themed flying dutchman (loading on Vekoma suits matrix theme better). Dreamworld should get the giant stand up from B&M and an Intamin Perilious Plunge style ride. As for Seaworld I think the perfect addition should be this new coaster being discussed at the moment on Westcoaster. Tiny footprint and would pack a punch. Its a B&M floorless with a smaller footprint than a Boomerang! http://rcdb.com/installationdetail2504.htm

DJ: Omg, what a cute floorless! Wonder if we can squeeze it between Polar Bears and the Flume ride... Just a shame Seaworld is type cast to get short smooth rides with 3 inversions. Anyway, Dreamworld :) A Woodie would be good at Dreamworld if that damm Amphitheatre wasn't taking the best spot to put it. Come on Dreamworld, do everyone a favour pull the plug on Big Brother and build a woodie over the never-used-in-normal operations Amphitheatre. Thats about the only place in the park where I reckon a wood coaster would look good, although its a bit close to the town centre... If we're talking about a ride in Ocean Parade, I like the second picture. Admittedly that rides attractiveness does have more to do with my love of inversions and how well landscaped it is. I still say build a ride like GE force over the centre Island. Load the ride near Model T Lane (hell, this is Dreamworld, why not load right in the middle of Model T lane?), send it through the trees and give it a corny name. Sounds like a winner to me.