Doomsday - Potential New Tower Ride at Movie World

Gary86

At this time the ride is a concept only

The Doomsday tower is a possible new attraction for Movie World This world-first ride would be built at Warner Bros. Movie World and would be the world’s tallest ride tower with a height of 145m. This ride experience would feature a low speed setting perfect for those who want to get a bird’s eye view of the Gold Coast. The ride would also feature a high speed setting to get hearts racing for thrill seekers. On the low speed setting, the ride would travel slowly up and down the tower and then rotate slowly at the top of the tower, while on the high speed setting it would zoom to the top of the tower then spin at a high speed. Riders would be seated in one of three gondolas which each feature twelve seats. Riders sit in individual seats where their legs hang free and they are secured by a chest harness. A height restriction of 110cm would apply for safety reasons. During the day the ride would operate in both “scenic” mode and “thrill seeker” mode at pre-designated times.

post-1-0-11403800-1378797928_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-19005700-1378797957_thumb.jpg

Source Future of Fun. It seems like the tower will be taller then the one at Dreamworld but with a low speed setting non thrill seekers will be able to enjoy the great view of the Gold Coast. I think this may be an eye saw though...

post-1-0-80718100-1378797965_thumb.jpg

post-2163-0-53007400-1378786161_thumb.jppost-2163-0-80238800-1378786170_thumb.jppost-2163-0-54139300-1378786179_thumb.jp

"The Doomsday tower is a possible new attraction for Movie World This world-first ride would be built at Warner Bros. Movie World and would be the world’s tallest ride tower with a height of 145m. This ride experience would feature a low speed setting perfect for those who want to get a bird’s eye view of the Gold Coast. The ride would also feature a high speed setting to get hearts racing for thrill seekers. On the low speed setting, the ride would travel slowly up and down the tower and then rotate slowly at the top of the tower, while on the high speed setting it would zoom to the top of the tower then spin at a high speed. Riders would be seated in one of three gondolas which each feature twelve seats. Riders sit in individual seats where their legs hang free and they are secured by a chest harness. A height restriction of 110cm would apply for safety reasons. During the day the ride would operate in both “scenic” mode and “thrill seeker” mode at pre-designated times. Below is an example video of similar rides operating in “scenic mode”.

I don't like it. Movie World already has a drop ride that is pretty decent, they don't really need another one yet. It's more important for them to turn their focus to the other hubs now. A second ride in the Western section would be a heck of alot more appropriate(a woodie!), and they really shouldn't put off the LTRR replacement. The DC section could do with a show arena wherever it would fit in. This ride would be great in the Batwing Spaceshot position though, but only when they decide that ride's "time has come and gone".

Edited by colliric_855

My biggest problem is that I feel like Movie World could use the resources and money on a better ride. Maybe a Charlie & the Chocolate Factory Dark Ride? A Gangster or Mad Max Ride? Not to mention they already have the Mini Cars Driving School sitting dormant at the other end of the park.

Edited by Zanstabar

I like it but at that height and the nature of the gondola/seats I don't think they can get away with it being a scenic ride. You won't see older people hopping on to check out the view. It's a thrill ride regardless of mode setting IMO.

I agree with RWC in that a woodie would be better, but that's probably the enthusiast in me speaking. No doubt this is a hell of a lot more marketable.

I wrote in the comments section of the survey "check out Parkz and ask the forum their ideas to build a precinct between Movie World, Wet 'n' Wild and Outback Spectacular. Hope that's ok :)

In regards to the ride, I think it would work well if there is an effective pre show or interactive queue but without it, it will be unoriginal and bland.

I wrote in the comments section of the survey "check out Parkz and ask the forum their ideas to build a precinct between Movie World, Wet 'n' Wild and Outback Spectacular. Hope that's ok :)

In regards to the ride, I think it would work well if there is an effective pre show or interactive queue but without it, it will be unoriginal and bland.

That would be a nice touch to have an interactive queue or a pre-show (or both if we're lucky), but can't Movie World move away from the DC Comics license and start making rides themed around the other great movies in their catalogue?

With it being too similar, I both agree and disagree. Sure, other parks around the world do have drop towers and another tower ride (Wind Seeker, Parachute Drop, etc.) in the one park, but as colliric_855 said, a smaller park like Movie World probably couldn't handle having two of the possible eight rides being very similar.

I'm not too thrilled with the idea, and the thought of the two modes reminds me instantly of Pandamonium at Dreamworld - many people see it operating at full speed and don't want to ride it so they don't approach and see it has the less thrilling option. They should focus on a traditional family dark-ride - a new updated version of Looney Tunes River ride. I don't know why everyone wants a wooden coaster built - it simply won't happen the cost and maintenance is too costly and you can get a much more thrilling steel coaster for a fraction of the cost and a much smaller footprint.

I'm not sure...

I don't think putting it right in the middle of Superman Escape is a brilliant idea, it is too close to the Batwing and will ruin the size factor of both rides.

All in all, I'm not too psyched and I would rather they didn't build it, wait a couple of years and then build a bigger attraction.

Or they could just build a massive B&M Mega Looper! :)

It's OK, and that's it, it's just OK. I think there's room in Movie Workd's line up for a new flat ride, and in Superman's heilex is exactly the right spot for one. But I do wonder if the money it costs to buy this might be better spent on a couple of more standard flats, because let's face it, this is going to be a bloody expensive ride. Having said all that, it is tall enough that it could capture the public's imagination, and it does hinge on how thrilling the thrill cycle is. Personally, assuming that it works properly, I'm not against it. Could be fun, though I hope you can't see it from WWF

At 145m, I think it would definitely be visible from WWF, as well as from the Giant Drop at Dreamworld.

???? It would be visible from anywhere within a few km's of MW (unless you are behind the mountains near Pacific Pines etc

Think its an impressive concept and a crowd draw card. We're talking 30m taller than GD/TOT2 & 23m taller than Texas SkyScreamer. Might not sound a lot, but you can see TOT2 from many vantage points on the coast, and this would stand out even more.

World Record breakers draw crowds, simple.

I like its placement and disagree that it would take away from Batwing Spaceshot - 2 completely different ride designs and experiences.

Agree either the 'scenic' setting would be too much for a lot of people due to the height - but i think it would be awesome. With 3 gondolas I imagine it would get through a lot of riders per hour too.

I think it's great. I can think of much worse additions! I just hope they actually implement the decent signage and theming as shown in the concept illustrations. I have to say I'm surprised that they are revealing this information so far ahead of time. They used to keep this stuff top secret. Guess they aren't scared of their competitor anymore!

I think it's great. I can think of much worse additions! I just hope they actually implement the decent signage and theming as shown in the concept illustrations. I have to say I'm surprised that they are revealing this information so far ahead of time. They used to keep this stuff top secret. Guess they aren't scared of their competitor anymore!

Guess they realise that those within Future of Fun, or so they expect, will not share it with the world. It's very much a restricted survey with only 1001 people taking part in each survey they post. But what's not to say that Dreamworld don't have someone on the Future of Fun board, which is highly likely.

120m versus 145m that includes the ~10 metre spire isn't a lot of difference. It will be forever compared to Dreamworld's Giant Drop and Tower of Terror, and it won't win with the demographic that would be drawn in by a "world's tallest" gimmick.

The gentle vs. thrill thing is confusing. They're already trying to downplay the thrill element in the description yet at the same time given it a name that -- aside from being a comic book character no one's heard of -- literally means impending doom. It is right in the middle of the 'thrill precinct', dwarfing 3-4 rides that are much more intense and thrilling. It's a really confusing message.

It's the sort of attraction that would make sense on a vacant lot in Surfers Paradise. It's not a major theme park attraction.

No idea what you are on about Richard? How do u know its not thrilling? Fast rise to the top of the tower & rapid spinning towering over everything in the park - not thrilling? I think it would be less thrilling in Surfers surrounded by taller buildings where you are not higher than everything. I think plenty would be drawn by the 'gimmick' of record heights. I don't see it as a gimmick at all.