Doomsday - Potential New Tower Ride at Movie World

Gary86

I didn't say it's not thrilling. I didn't say it wouldn't draw crowds. Evidently you don't know what I'm on about...

I said it would draw unfavourable comparisons to more thrilling but smaller rides. Of course Superman Escape, Batwing, Giant Drop or Tower of Terror are more conventionally thrilling attractions than this.The concept is confusing itself by trying to please two very different audiences. Note that the description pitches it as a gentle ride that also has a thrill mode, not the other way around. That's not an accident.

Guess we will agree to disagree, i wouldnt say it would be more thrilling than SE or GL, but i think it would certainly be more thrilling in 'thrill mode' than BWSS which i feel is fairly tame.

I guess different people would find different things thrilling, someone with a fear of heights, may find it more thrilling that any rollercoaster... i think it caters for a different category of thrill seeker to what their existing offerings do

Based on the concept art and description i'm guessing it's likely to be an Intamin "Spinning Orbit" ride. I rode the one in Malaysia and honestly I found it to be an incredibly lacklustre ride. Movie World really does need a few more flat rides, but I really don't think that this is the ride that Movie World needs. Here is a video for anyone curious about the ride:

Edited by Spotty

I'm with Richard on this one also.

As for tallest - didn't a park in Texas just open a windseeker type attraction that was world's tallest?

I'm intrigued to see this come in. I take on board all other points regarding value - whether we could get other good quality flats for the same price etc - but at the end of the day, the park is due for a 'big bang' attraction, and flat or not, this is a big bang.

Looking at the concepts - from what I can see its a tower a little taller than GD - so those that have been on GD can imagine the diameter of that tower - then it has three arms coming out with a gondola similar to the claw (but smaller as it only carries 12)...

Is it just me, or does it sound like this won't actually fit in the Superman Helix, without intruding on the ride envelope?

Edited by AlexB

I personally think this looks really cool. I think it will be a great addition to the park.

I'm yet to do GD because I just can't get over the free fall from that height, yet I've always wanted to get to the top to see the view and I think many people are in the same boat as me. However, I will probably take on the less thrilling mode because if on thrill mode it spins too much then I'm out, I'm really horrible at anything that spins quickly. I wonder if they can spin a few of the gondolas faster, while having one spin more gently. I'm also intrigued as to how they have the ride rise to the top quickly, compared to fast it will on the slow version. I'd prefer they both just go up at the same time.

We have all said MW would be great if it added some more well themed flat rides and that space at SE would be perfect and it seems like someone at MW has listened and they've gone all out. Surely the public can realise one (GD) is a drop tower, one is a launch tower (Batwing), and one is a sought of observation/spinning tower. This will make huge impact on the skyline and really affirm to the general public that in terms of rides, MW is the place to go to.

I'd really like to see them add something like a Vekoma MadHouse in the old LW cinema and an eatery in the LW gift shop, it would really finish that whole area off nicely.

Yes I agree there are other areas of the park that need some attention badly such as the WW area with a new show and ride and the LT area and new ride but aren't we already a getting a new replacement for that building?

I'm just glad the park is again looking at new attractions, its more than what can be said about what's happening down the road.

I also agree on the footprint it does look like it could be really hard to fit in that area. I'd also like to see a different theme, I didn't even realise it was a comic and most people won't. The name makes it sound IMO more thrilling than what it is, and could get people's noses out of joint, much like how MDMC is on the thrill ride list. I'd prefer to see something like Lex Luthor and the ride queue and outside exterior themed to 'The Daily Planet', but that's just my opinion.

The thing i'm having difficulty understanding, is as to why its directly tied to a villain, and it's concept. Arkham is both Batman with Joker and Harley. Meanwhile Superman and the Green Lantern are also present, with JL3D bringing in "alternate" characters like Starro and Supergirl. The others heros the area lacks that are a part of the JLA are, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Cyborg, Flash , Martian Manhunter and Hawkgirl.

Doomsday is a Superman enemy, with the flight sense given off by the ride only happening once as far as i know in the comics. This would have better justice done if it was WW, or HG. With the latter being the best option.

Here's how I see it -

1. I don't believe this attraction will fit within the SE helix. Not to mention the area is currently completely fenced off as ride envelope.
  2. If it really is that small (or if it is in fact a little bigger) I feel it would be better suited to the Arkham Piazza (formerly chinatown). Demolish the queue ramps and install it there.
  3. Installing in Arkham piazza has two benefits - a) Superman Escape wouldn't have to close for pretty much the entire construction, and B) it would make use of what really is a dead area - as well as the fact that Arkham has alternative entry exit arrangements that can be put to use.
  4. I'd much rather see something put into Wild West, but I've long since given up on that particular area of the park due to the issues with residents over the back fence.

1. It will, the fenced area mostly isn't ride envelope. 2. Why won't it suit the Superman heilex? 3. And Superman's heilex over sand isn't a dead area? 4. Agreed, but I think Wild West needs a complete rework, including a replacement for show stage, and better use of the land in that area. A band aid flat ride won't fix that part of the park.

The thing i'm having difficulty understanding, is as to why its directly tied to a villain, and it's concept. Arkham is both Batman with Joker and Harley. Meanwhile Superman and the Green Lantern are also present, with JL3D bringing in "alternate" characters like Starro and Supergirl. The others heros the area lacks that are a part of the JLA are, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Cyborg, Flash , Martian Manhunter and Hawkgirl.

Doomsday is a Superman enemy, with the flight sense given off by the ride only happening once as far as i know in the comics. This would have better justice done if it was WW, or HG. With the latter being the best option.

Isn't Wonderwoman and Cyborg both in JL? I think 2 superheroes they could include is Hawk Girl and The Flash, but I don't think Flash fits this ride.

See AlexB to your second and third point, I don't mind it going into the helix of SE because I'd like to see another flat ride built into the old LW cinema building and use the old queue outside and with a new eatery and maybe toilets in that area would bring a lot of people to the area, especially when they finish whatever they were doing with China Town Alley.

Yes I think the WW needs attention first, but I won't stop them for putting more rides in :P

If this is a supersized Intamin Spinning Star minimum area for the ride's footprint would be 21m x 21m, which would just fit inside Superman Escape.

post-2117-0-71657600-1378882371_thumb.pn

However, I'm inclined to think this could even be a new Funtime creation. They have recently reached the 400ft/122m mark with the Texas SkyScreamer and have another one going in next year at SFNE which will probably go a tad taller (maybe 410ft/125m?). Having a local firm with experience in building tall rides of the same/similar tower structure could be a benefit when going with a "world-first" installation. Although the ride experience is obviously similar to a Spinning Star, I can't find an Intamin tower ride (apart from their spaceshots) which features a tower structure of the style shown in the pictures.

• 2 months later...

At this time the ride is a concept only

The Doomsday tower is a possible new attraction for Movie World This world-first ride would be built at Warner Bros. Movie World and would be the world’s tallest ride tower with a height of 145m. This ride experience would feature a low speed setting perfect for those who want to get a bird’s eye view of the Gold Coast. The ride would also feature a high speed setting to get hearts racing for thrill seekers. On the low speed setting, the ride would travel slowly up and down the tower and then rotate slowly at the top of the tower, while on the high speed setting it would zoom to the top of the tower then spin at a high speed. Riders would be seated in one of three gondolas which each feature twelve seats. Riders sit in individual seats where their legs hang free and they are secured by a chest harness. A height restriction of 110cm would apply for safety reasons. During the day the ride would operate in both “scenic” mode and “thrill seeker” mode at pre-designated times.

attachicon.gifDoomsday 1_resize.jpg

attachicon.gifDoomsday 2_resize.jpg

Source Future of Fun. It seems like the tower will be taller then the one at Dreamworld but with a low speed setting non thrill seekers will be able to enjoy the great view of the Gold Coast. I think this may be an eye saw though...

attachicon.gifDoomsday 3_resize.jpg

That actually sounds amazing

Though, batwing spaceshot would lose a lot of it's popularity

I though an idea of two queues would be cooler than certain times during the day, like pandamonium

Is this just a myth or a real planned project?

i would vote not to put it in the park

I think it's much more suited to being in the park than outside of it... people would have to get a passout just to ride it?

I think he means, don't build it, which I completely oppose because I think it's a FANTASTIC idea

I didn't say it's not thrilling. I didn't say it wouldn't draw crowds. Evidently you don't know what I'm on about...

I said it would draw unfavourable comparisons to more thrilling but smaller rides. Of course Superman Escape, Batwing, Giant Drop or Tower of Terror are more conventionally thrilling attractions than this.The concept is confusing itself by trying to please two very different audiences. Note that the description pitches it as a gentle ride that also has a thrill mode, not the other way around. That's not an accident.

I see what you mean, but Pandamonium pleases two different audiences as well.

Seems like there's differing views on this one. Maybe we need a new thread with other realistic ride options Movie World could consider. It was one of the questions they asked in the most recent survey afterall...

Where was this survey?