Royal Melbourne Show 2013

colliric_855

I went on Monday, exactly the same as previous years. There isn't a need to go every year anymore... the entertainment on the other hand, is fantastically put together.

I go every year(since 2007) BECAUSE of the entertainment and the food. And also to stock up on pet food for the next few months(those cheap pedigree showbags are a Godsend! Especially if you go on the last two days and the prices are further slashed). As I've said many times, Melbourne's ride lineup leaves alot to be desired(partly because we have to share with Perth). Needs a newer coaster(Taipan is getting old, and Crazy Coaster isn't that unique anymore). I hope they never bring the old Government expo back, even though in the old days(80s/early-90s) it was a "freebies/kids" highlight, that thing was a waste of space in the end. Glad they got rid of it. Edited by colliric_855

One thing I'm curious to know, but is the Worm coaster that appears at the Royal Show different to the Worm Coaster at Wonderland Fun Park...In other words, does Australia have two wacky worms, or just one?

We have at least two.... That one is permanently installed at Wonderland. It doesn't move. Oh and Wonderland just got two new rides... Guess it's not a worthy fun park for that to get a thread here yet. They got a brand new Pirate Ship and a Drop ride. The Drop ride is 17m high. http://www.wonderlandfunpark.com.au/rides.html Hope this inspires competition from Luna Park and they put in a new permanent ride. Edited by colliric_855

As they have removed 2 rides recently- The G-Force and Metropolis earlier, and have stated that they ARE putting in a new ride in place of G-Force, one which you know full well about, it really isn't much of a stretch to answer your question in the affirmative. But you already knew that. So pointless statement on your behalf.

Edited by Jobe

As they have removed 2 rides recently- The G-Force and Metropolis earlier, and have stated that they ARE putting in a new ride in place of G-Force, one which you know full well about, it really isn't much of a stretch to answer your question in the affirmative. But you already knew that. So pointless statement on your behalf.

Body Rock they have very clearly and openly stated(in their advertising) is only a spring holidays temporary attraction(most likely in place of regular temp ride Powersurge, which is at one of the shows at the moment), which leaves 2 spaces empty in the coming weeks, plus the usual temp ride space near the Dodgems building(but obviously that will remain for the Surge). They have not yet clearly announced plans for a permanent attraction(beyond the usual "new ride coming in a few months" vagueness).

So my point somewhat remains. I guess this is my way of saying "I hope this gets them to hurry up and actually announce something". As I said, it's not Body Rock, as LP confirmed that won't be there beyond the end of next week.

Edited by colliric_855

Body Rock they have very clearly and openly stated(in their advertising) is only a spring holidays temporary attraction(most likely in place of regular temp ride Powersurge, which is at one of the shows at the moment), which leaves 2 spaces empty in the coming weeks, plus the usual temp ride space near the Dodgems building(but obviously that will remain for the Surge). They have not yet clearly announced plans for a permanent attraction(beyond the usual "new ride coming in a few months" vagueness).

So my point somewhat remains. I guess this is my way of saying "I hope this gets them to hurry up and actually announce something". As I said, it's not Body Rock, as LP confirmed that won't be there beyond the end of next week.

This is getting waaay of post for this thread but this is not unusual where you are involved RWC. You post as if you believe other people are ignorant on this board. That is your folly. Of course I know that Body Rock is only a holiday attraction. It has been promoted as such. As for the replacement for G-Force, this was on their Facebook page well before Body Rock was announced, so it cannot be confused with that ride.

"we have a ride on order... We will launch in the coming months (but we don't think you will be disappointed!)"

and this

"Don't worry everyone, we have a new exciting ride coming to replace this old favourite!"

A new ride on order does NOT sound like a holiday ride to me. Launching in the coming months does not fit the timeframes for a seasonal ride ergo it MUST be a new ride they are alluding to. The answers are there for all to see RWC, if you were not so lazy and shoot your mouth off every time you post, without doing the proper research. You have a predisposition for posting inaccurate information and claiming that you are "in the know" or that it is set in stone. If you acted a little more humble on occasion and actually gave some respect to people on this board who know a lot more than you do and can clearly see through your bullshit, you would probably have a much better time on these boards.

This is getting waaay of post for this thread but this is not unusual where you are involved RWC. You post as if you believe other people are ignorant on this board. That is your folly. Of course I know that Body Rock is only a holiday attraction. It has been promoted as such. As for the replacement for G-Force, this was on their Facebook page well before Body Rock was announced, so it cannot be confused with that ride.

"we have a ride on order... We will launch in the coming months (but we don't think you will be disappointed!)"

and this

"Don't worry everyone, we have a new exciting ride coming to replace this old favourite!"

A new ride on order does NOT sound like a holiday ride to me. Launching in the coming months does not fit the timeframes for a seasonal ride ergo it MUST be a new ride they are alluding to. The answers are there for all to see RWC, if you were not so lazy and shoot your mouth off every time you post, without doing the proper research. You have a predisposition for posting inaccurate information and claiming that you are "in the know" or that it is set in stone. If you acted a little more humble on occasion and actually gave some respect to people on this board who know a lot more than you do and can clearly see through your bullshit, you would probably have a much better time on these boards.

It wasn't you I guess, but if you go to the original thread, you'll see Jacob mistook Body Rock for being the actual replacement ride(which it kinda is for now, from what I believe it's in G-Force's spot currently.. till next week). And actually I was the first who posted in that thread correcting him. Haven't looked at it again since then.

Sorry for the confusion there. You are right about this. But your post seemed to suggest that to me somehow. Maybe I mistook you for him, Sorry.

Oh well. Better bring my own thread back on topic:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-24/melbourne-show-2013/4977816

That Harvest Bar sounds quite nice to a foodie like myself, has anyone looked at it?

I like that shot of Powersurge in action. Looks like that young girl convinced dad(or Grandad?) it was just going to speed around in a circle! Looks old enough to have a heart attack... He must have good heart heath to survive that at the age he looks!

Edited by colliric_855

The Harvest Bar was quite good - I also liked the pop up restaurant idea too. Fonda Mexican was operating on Tuesday :)

While I enjoyed the day at Melbourne Show, the ride selection was pretty ordinary. I'd like to see a re-think on the layout. I was surprised that Pirates Revenge was relegated to the back of the grounds (again!), next to the Taipan Coaster.

I believe the RASV did themselves a disservice reducing the size of the grounds and selling some sections to commercial developers. The original Government Pavilion (and former Dog pavilion) sits just outside the grounds next to the train station. It should have been retained, same with the grounds down to Epsom Road that were used for the carnival. This area was sold off to make way for a shopping village.

The Harvest Bar was quite good - I also liked the pop up restaurant idea too. Fonda Mexican was operating on Tuesday :)

While I enjoyed the day at Melbourne Show, the ride selection was pretty ordinary. I'd like to see a re-think on the layout. I was surprised that Pirates Revenge was relegated to the back of the grounds (again!), next to the Taipan Coaster.

I believe the RASV did themselves a disservice reducing the size of the grounds and selling some sections to commercial developers. The original Government Pavilion (and former Dog pavilion) sits just outside the grounds next to the train station. It should have been retained, same with the grounds down to Epsom Road that were used for the carnival. This area was sold off to make way for a shopping village.

I thought that they didn't really need the grounds that they sold. The old show arena took up so much space in the old days(early 90s) that when they decided to take it down and leave the one grandstand in place, it left them with heaps of space in my own opinion. I would have loved to have seen the new Coke arena with more of an enclosed/covered design(because I miss the old High-wire stunt shows they use to have... not because of the stand-roof shielding us from the rain!), but at least the seating space now represents more accurately the actual crowd numbers. Before this there was far too many empty, unused seats. I'd question weather or not it left them with less exhibition space selling some of the old land off, because the old arena took up a big chuck of the showgrounds and I'm certain that was probably the "payoff". My memory of the early 90s show I also recall the agricultural and food exhibits were more spread out in several different buildings. I'm glad that changed as well... huge fan of the "big top". I guess I'm in the opposite bag, as I was a big fan of how they have streamlined exhibitions into areas which require less walking around from place to place, and a smaller capacity show arena with none of that feeling of "there's heaps of empty space in the stands right here". I agree with you about Pirates Revenge and I even think Taipan should be moved too if they can find the space. A bit silly that two of their better thrill rides are in the "Family Carnival".

When their horses were knocked out by that disease going around(was it 2007 or 2008?), or whatever it was, Taipan was instead situated in the Horse marshaling area in order to fill the space up more, which was a better location nearer the main thoroughfare(where people can actually SEE it's there)....obviously that can't be repeated though. I do think the Show-bags area has been PC'd down the drain a bit though. I liked it when the vendors were spread out more, instead of just all in the one building. I guess they did that for crowd control, etc. But I always feel squashed when I go in there, unless it's after 5 or whenever it usually calms down.

Here's what I'm talking about:

MelbourneShowgrounds.jpg

Huge arena.... Just to put it in perspective, that's the same stand that's still there on the left of it.

Edited by colliric_855