Dreamworld Job - Casting Call?

kujotess

I agree that they probably just used that as an out, but as someone who likes to use feedback as a chance to improve I would have preferred the real reason even if it was that I didn't fit the image they were after.

Anyways that is the past and I have since moved on so... meh.

Whilst I don't speak for any of the gold coast parks personally, you've got to remember that most parks are looking for people who can have fun, whilst still adhering to strict 'on stage' rules.

The 'cast member' crowd is almost a fraternity, in many cases with some fairly wild shenanigans going on after hours when people let their hair down - but when it comes to being on stage, you're a performer.

Many park recruitment exercises seem to forget this when they're looking to fill many positions, as they take on 'the best of the bunch'... but there might only be 5 who are actually suitable - the rest are just because they need the bodies.

I can't really comment on Wyn's situation, but it seems a little weird that someone who knew the spiels so well wouldn't be successful. As for being pushy or impatient - one follow up call 2-3 days after the promised date is enough IMO. If they really like you that much, you'll find out quickly enough (as in Joz's case)

Above all, present well, but don't be someone you aren't. If you don't normally wear a suit and tie, you will be uncomfortable during the interview and it will show - same goes for not having properly fitting clothes - collar too tight will make talking an effort and that will show also.

When I was called for my Wonderland interview, they advised us to wear smart casual clothing we could move around in - i went with a nice polo and jeans, and given the interview technique, that was probably the best choice. a suit and tie would have been too restrictive for what they asked us to do.

Insider tip: most people get nervous during interviews, and tend to sweat. Try to wear colours that don't easily show sweat marks. Whether it's understandable or not - nobody likes to see it, and it certainly can put a guest off seeing a cast member in that situation... if you do tend to sweat it in an interview - go with something discreet!

Edited by AlexB

some good advice there for the youngans AlexB, or those not experienced in interviews

I'd always recommend to dress business for any interview, unless as in your case at Wonderland, it was expressed what you should wear. Business doesnt have to mean suit and tie, but a pair of slacks and a business shirt. Even if you know you wont have to wear business attire for the job if you get it, it shows you go to an effort and presentation and professionalism is important to you. First impressions are everything, and you cannot re-do a first impression. Most interviewers will make up their minds as to whether you will get the job within the first 2 minutes, based on how you are presented, how you carry yourself and speak (confidence) in those first few minutes.

Be yourself.

If they don't hire you, you weren't right for the job. If they do, you may not last long once the real you comes out. Speak clearly and with confidence. It's ok to pause for a moment after you are asked a question to think about your answer. using phrases like 'hmm, thats a good one' or 'gee it's hard to pick just one' or whatever suits gives you a second or two to think about the question and word it appropriately.

Unless the question starts with the words 'tell me about a time when....' then your answer should probably last for around a minute or 2. If you're talking longer than that - have you answered the question or gone off on a tangent?

Since we're talking interview tips and techniques - heres another one - always pay close attention to how nice your shoes are. Anyone can get a suit dry cleaned and pressed, but most people won't expend the effort in giving their shoes a good polish - and it shows.

I've interviewed people who showed up in immaculate suits and businesswear, but their shoes were grubby, scuffed and unpolished, and that was enough to turn me off them - they're willing to pay someone else to make themselves look presentable but they aren't willing to put the hard effort in themselves suggested to me they weren't motivated... but MOST importantly - polish them BEFORE you shower and dress, otherwise you risk getting polish on your hands, arms, or clothes!

(and don't CHEAT and use the black 'paint' polish... get real polish and a polishing brush and do it right, otherwise the shine wears off quickly.)

'only a teen' doesn't excuse you from making an effort. As Wyn suggested, unless the dress code has been specifically stated, try to go with something a little better than a t-shirt and chinos...

For example:

Try a collar. It's much more presentable. Polo shirt is good, button-down shirt is better, Business-type button down that has been well pressed is best (with long sleeve obviously better ranking than short sleeve).

Jeans or chinos are ok - but make sure they're properly ironed. A pair of linen slacks or trousers would be better - but as I said earlier - don't wear something you aren't comfortable in or it will show.

Avoid a tie unless you're used to wearing it. Don't wear a tie with a short sleeve shirt unless you're trying to come across as a private schoolboy.

At the end of the day though, while these are just my views after years of being on both sides of the interview table, I would expect MW would know their 'staff demographic' and recognise that they do hire a lot of young people, and that those young people don't always have the experience (or the wardrobe) to fit the status quo on interviews... but I still say it can't hurt to make an effort and show them you are willing to go that extra mile to get the job - because that shows you'll go the extra mile IN your job.

If they list a contact phone number for enquiries, I'd suggest to call and ask them if there is a dress code without giving your name - they can't hold that against you if they don't know who you are!

Believe it or not, I don't own any collared shirts / button ups and i don't have the money to just go and buy one for a 15 minute interview. Would a clean plain black / dark blue shirt be ok if the shoes matched? I wore a Tshirt to the group interview and I got in

Edited by kujotess

Believe it or not, I don't own any collared shirts / button ups and i don't have the money to just go and buy one for a 15 minute interview.

Can't you get some basic polo from Kmart or something, and use it for any future job interviews....It'd cost barely anything.

for a 15 minute interview

Bangs head against wall...Yes, its only for a 15 minute interview, but it's what those 15 minutes lead to (Or the value of those 15 mins) that matter.

It's like saying why get a $2000 wedding dress if you are only going to wear it once.

Edited by Gazza

Believe it or not, I don't own any collared shirts / button ups and i don't have the money to just go and buy one for a 15 minute interview. Would a clean plain black / dark blue shirt be ok if the shoes matched? I wore a Tshirt to the group interview and I got in

Get some money off your parents/siblings. I'm sure they will shout you a shirt, or a least lend you the money, to ensure you look presentable and more likely to get the job. As Gazza just said, you can pick up a polo or button up shirt for under $15 a Kmart. And you will get more than one use out of it. If your parents/siblings cant help you, go to Centrelink and apply for Youth allowance and buy it with your first payment.

Everyone is different in terms of recruiters, but if i was interviewing you and you came in a t-shirt, regardless of your experience or anything you say on the day, you would not get the job. The second i saw you walk in, you would be ruled out. That may sound judgmental, hell it is, but its about effort and professionalism. If you are going to be wearing a uniform that represents my business, in an interview scenario i can only judge the way you present yourself on what you are wearing that day. A motto i have always lived by professionally is to dress for the level above you, or the level above that you are applying for.

Had my mw interview.. completely ruined it. lets just say i was the definition of "um". I was nervous as f*ck before and i was even more nervous during the interview. Did my research and got a new shirt for this, really thought i had it in the bag, and of course i got the 2 hardest questions that i struggled so bad on it shouldve been filmed for funniest home videos. So mad at myself, wouldve been a fantastic traineeship. The questions werent even that bad, they were just ones i didnt think about before so. It went for about 2 minutes, literally. Oh well, next year i guess :(

Edited by kujotess

Generally the questions they are likely to ask would be ones like "How would you handle a difficult guest" and things like that. It all depends on the exact role you are going for. For a role that is less "entry level" the questions would be more about the roles than your standard customer service roles.

Had my mw interview.. completely ruined it. lets just say i was the definition of "um". I was nervous as f*ck before and i was even more nervous during the interview. Did my research and got a new shirt for this, really thought i had it in the bag, and of course i got the 2 hardest questions that i struggled so bad on it shouldve been filmed for funniest home videos. So mad at myself, wouldve been a fantastic traineeship. The questions werent even that bad, they were just ones i didnt think about before so. It went for about 2 minutes, literally. Oh well, next year i guess :(

It's ok to pause for a moment after you are asked a question to think about your answer. using phrases like 'hmm, thats a good one' or 'gee it's hard to pick just one' or whatever suits gives you a second or two to think about the question and word it appropriately.

I did try to warn you on the 'umm' situation. Good on you for getting a new shirt, and practising some questions beforehand.

I must admit, i'm with Brad - those questions (or that type of question) is pretty standard for a customer service position - they're so basic I don't use them anymore when i'm involved in recruitment. That said - it's pretty clear that this was your first interview, and nobody could have prepared you for every possible question you'd get your first time.

Interviews are as much about experience as they are about getting the job. You say 'next year', but why not 'next week' ? Apply for jobs elsewhere. If you're entering the workforce for the first time you aren't going to land that glamorous job you've always wanted on your first attempt - go out, work hard and get dirty.

Despite never working there myself, I've always had a lot of respect for Maccas staff who lasted a year or more... Most places hiring juniors aren't interested in experience - thats where you get it - so make enquiries at those 'youth employment' employers like McD's (and other fast food)... but don't go past other big-box places like Bunnings. If this kind of work is beneath you, then you will probably be unemployed for a while... but if you can get into a job that isn't glamorous, exposes you to customers (and customer service) then the next time someone asks you what a customer would expect from you when they complained, you'll know the answer because you'll probably have dealt with it previously.

Above all though, as a few have stated to you already - you need to exude confidence as best as you can. At that target age group, they know they're going to get a few nervous people that fluff the interview (and if you haven't had a rejection from them yet, i wouldn't write your interview off just yet... you never know what they might have seen in you), but those who come across as confident (not cocky) are more likely to impress them.

I would know how to handle those situations i just didn't know how to word it.. And by "next year" i meant for the next traineeship at movie world, I'm obviously going to have to get another job but it'll have to be at a hole like mcdonalds which I was really trying to avoid. I've had 2 jobs within the past year, both takeaway stores and they were both hell.

Don't write off McDonald's as a hole. Fast food isn't everyone's cup of tea, no doubt, but they invest countless dollars in the training & development of their staff, and their procedure and structures are amongst the best in the world, in any industry. When I am hiring juniors people with experience at Maccas got to the top of the pile. They can operate under a set structure & are generally very efficient. It may probably not be the career you want to see yourself doing in 10 years, but not many people build a career within the first company their ever work for. My first job was at Toys R Us, and then Big W whilst I was in years 10-12.