If you could give any ride a retheme/renovation...

Zanstabar

If we're keeping to their spending habits, ToT won't get a new car. If it were do-able, they could attach the original car onto the front of the other one with an X-car type linkage, but the problem is to get the speed up, the current propulsion system just won't cut it - therefore you're essentially requiring the entire ride drive system to be replaced - so you might as well buy a new ride... because that won't be in a reno budget.

Both suggestions so far have identified two of the "newest" rides in dreamworld (with ToT2 only coming out of refurb a couple years ago).

If anything needs a retheme in DW, right now it would have to be MDMC - throw in an extra set of kicker wheels halfway round the track (hell - install a NOS button or something for them to hit that kicks it up a notch) so the ride actually has some speed... then install an extra set of brakes to handle it. I know it isn't easy to retrofit a second launch in, but minor track modification would permit the installation of a 'kicker' piece.

My other choice would be to install a second block and another train on Cyclone. I don't think anything more needs to be said on that. I realise it doesn't get the queues it used to, so there may not be much point to it now, but perhaps along with it they could revamp it somewhat - give it a tunnel or two to roar through. Maybe give people on the slide towers a water cannon to fire at people (while allowing for the inevitable corrosion that would result)... at least give people something different to make them re-ride it again...

Vikings Revenge could do with a retheme / expansion.

Dreamworld have quite a few rides that need rethemeing such as the Vintage Cars (way too cheap and bland compered to how they used to be, they should have left them alone). Thunder River Rapids had a dinosaur that doesn't belong, Log Ride. As for Cyclone Dreamworld should just build another better rollercoaster and tear it down to redevelop White Water World.

It would be cool if they gave MDMC a sort of storyline. They could add a pre-ride show or something or at least develop the queue and give it more theming.

Maybe they could theme it to a new type of motorbike which uses turbines as it main type of propulsion! That sounds right up Dreamworld's alley!

• 3 weeks later...

I think the first thing that needs to be done on MDMC is change the godawful legcrushing restraints. Intamin really screwed up with their prototype motocoaster train. I know the seating position fits the theme, but surely they can change it to have a seating position more like Jet Rescues (which is much more comfortable)?

I know this will sound sacrilegious, but honestly, I'm not a huge fan of stories that are forced onto rides. It's a log ride with dragon boats, honestly that's story enough for most people. Short of enclosing the whole ride from the station to the top of the castle it's just not going to be effective. A total Valhalla type make over could certainly be pretty cool, but if I was in the position to be dropping serious money on an existing attraction, it'd be on 3 brand new monorail trains (with air con). In my eyes all Viking's needs is a redesigned top brake to allow for fully loaded boats again. Oh, and maybe some modifications to the station to allow for a shorter interval between boats.

Edited by joz

Vinkings is very short now and there is room under the Storm Coaster. They would need to add some plants and a tunnel, maybe add a short drop so it doesn't become a journey through coaster pillers. Remember it used to go throgh the volcano. Or they could just wind the track around the Storm Coaster to create Coaster Pillers:The Ride!

I think the first thing that needs to be done on MDMC is change the godawful legcrushing restraints. Intamin really screwed up with their prototype motocoaster train.

They need to rename it The Leg Crusher. Seriously that is the worst coaster I've ever been on. I wish Dreamworld left the Vintage Cars alone. They were perfect where they were. It's the worst 5hing Dreamworld has done.

I never knew there was anything wrong with it. What exactly is wrong? Is it just old age, or something else?

This is old info on my part, so the situation may have changed, but it's basically that after many years of repairs and extra fibreglass being added, the boats are heavier than they used to be. The upshot is that it's no longer feasible to consistently load the ride with 4 full size adults anymore, because boats bottom out and get stuck the brake before the drop which sits under the water. Almost the same thing happened with 'it's a small world' at Disneyland, so it's not an uncommon problem with boat rides, and while Disney shut down Small World for months, a new type of brake that was on the side of the channel rather than under the water would totally fix the issue at SW. As for Dreamworld, if I were in a position to spend money on upgrading a ride I'd probably be in charge of the park to some degree, and if I were in charge of Dreamworld MDMC wouldn't have a long term future, so I wouldn't waste any money on fixing it. Probably just spend the money on a 2nd train for Cyclone, and some changes to the station to make it more efficient.

Dreamworld won't change MDMC anytime soon because it is a popular ride with kids. It may not be the best attraction at Dreamworld or the fastest, or the best themed or the most comfortable, but when I've been on it there are all kids with their parents who have a good time. Most parents just want to see their kids be happy and have fun. Even though I wouldn't class it as a thrill ride, it can make kids feel like they are on a adult ride. It is a popular ride with kids, so why would they get rid of it.

Dreamworld won't change MDMC anytime soon because it is a popular ride with kids. It may not be the best attraction at Dreamworld or the fastest, or the best themed or the most comfortable, but when I've been on it there are all kids with their parents who have a good time. Most parents just want to see their kids be happy and have fun. Even though I wouldn't class it as a thrill ride, it can make kids feel like they are on a adult ride. It is a popular ride with kids, so why would they get rid of it.

Must we bring up this debate EVERY time someone mentions MDMC. Read the bloody thread title again!!!!

If YOU could give any ride a retheme/renovation...

It's not - "What should dreamworld do about this"

Edited by reanimated35

Just because it's a family ride doesn't mean it should be a rattly, leg crushing lump of shit.

Sorry guys I just added fuel to the MDMC debate fire.

Edited by alex_1

My mum and dad quite enjoyed MDMC and wanted multiple rides. So I guess it's not just for kids but the older market who may also not enjoy the big coasters get a kick out of it as well. I think MDMC is marketed incorrectly (something our parks have a habit of doing - see Justice League) If the marketing reflected what it was - a family coaster, and not a thrill ride then I think their would be fewer complaints. "A giant waterfall, twists and turns, exciting explosions, a storm, death defying special effects and a splash down like no other! Join our hero on a trip down under with over 20 animatronic effects, all on a boat on course for excitement!" -looney tunes river ride

Edited by aussienetman

This I know is not likely to ever happen, but again, this thread is "what you would do" so....

If it were up to me, I'd retheme Vikings Revenge. Including the castle. To fit it into the storm theme, I'd replace the current boats with cut open shipping containers (albeit tiny ones), keep the concrete channel, replace the castle with a multi-purpose generic looking office type building you might see at a port. The idea behind the ride? You're in one of the shipping containers caught up in the storm and blowing away up onto the building before crashing back down to the ground again. Maybe speed up the water a bit too.

Honestly... one of the first things i'd wanna fix is the main room in Scooby Doo. I'd completely overhaul the laser system and smoke machines to get the ride back to what it used to be. Maybe add some extra SFX in the building... perhaps even some projections of ghosts or something. Technology has improved a lot and it would be great to see Scooby be updated a bit to just give it a bit more oomph.