What will be the next attraction to open at the GC parks?

Brad2912

With Storm now officially open, Coroboree about to open at DW, and the 'mini-car ride' appearing to have been shelved at MW, what does everything think the next big attraction or ride will be at the Gold Coast parks, and when can we expect it? I'm hoping for an early 2014 announcement for a thrill ride at DW to open late 2014 MW have made it clear their next attraction will cater for families and people of all ages (which also rules out the mini-cars in my opinion). SW will now be fully focused on Wild WnW? Who knows!

This is just wishful thinking and speculation:

• Dreamworld: I hope they open another full circuit inverting roller coaster considering that the Cyclone is the only one and it was sadly closed when I was at Dreamworld in November (and since I sat at the back when riding the Wipeout, I got a clear view of a coaster I could not ride).
  • White Water World: There are no simple drop slides like the Jetstreams at White Water World, so something like that may be there next attraction.
  • Sea World: Just more animal related stuff.
  • Movie World: After the family attraction (I wonder if this may be a replacement of the River Ride), I hope they do something with Chinatown Alley, re-theming it to Diagon Alley may work considering there is no Harry Potter related attractions at Movie World, a flying coaster would fit a Harry Potter theme but I think that will forever remain wish, I don't think we will ever see a flying coaster in Australia.
  • Wet n Wild: Either a bowl slide or a hyrdo coaster/aqua blaster (I am not sure on the correct term), considering those are types of slides which are absent from the park.

I think movie world will turn their attention to the kids ride that was supposed to open this year. Sea World will continue work on their wild attraction. Dreamworld should open a new attraction, probably a family ride. Wet n wild don't need to do anything. White water world need to open a couple more attractions but I don't know if they will.

Movie World:A new drop tower would be perfect like Lex Luthor Drop Of Doom at SFMM type of ride in the middle of Superman

Sea World: I don't think SW needs a new ride since they are working on Wild! but if i had a choice probably a attraction like Boardwalk at Knotts in the big lake would be great.

Wet N Wild: WNW needs a new water slide! Probably something like a new slide at Extreme Zone like a TornadoWAVE slide.

Dreamworld: A new family roller coaster like Fire Chaser Express at Dollywood in the old Blue Lagoon area

White Water World: A Australia record breaking slide like a freefall slide

These all sound like a great idea don't you think?

• Movie World: After the family attraction (I wonder if this may be a replacement of the River Ride), I hope they do something with Chinatown Alley, re-theming it to Diagon Alley may work considering there is no Harry Potter related attractions at Movie World, a flying coaster would fit a Harry Potter theme but I think that will forever remain wish, I don't think we will ever see a flying coaster in Australia

I know we still have the harry potter store in Main Street left over from some merchandising agreement or similar, but since Universal developed the wizarding world of harry potter, don't they now own the theme park rights?

If that is the case, it's unlikely universal's contract would permit another licenseholder - even as remotely far away as we are.

dosen't Movie World have their domsday tower.

That was just a concept and isn't actually going to be built.

At least I sincerely hope it won't be built and they'll instead announce a compact GCI wooden coaster. (This isn't speculation, just my wishful thinking).

Edited by alex_1

I know we still have the harry potter store in Main Street left over from some merchandising agreement or similar, but since Universal developed the wizarding world of harry potter, don't they now own the theme park rights?

If that is the case, it's unlikely universal's contract would permit another licenseholder - even as remotely far away as we are.

Last check the Harry Potter store is now just a generic store.

The thing with intamin woodies is that they are "pre-fab" coasters, the wood is precision cut in a factory and assembled on site, this means the coaster is very smooth and ultimately loses it's woodie charm and may as well be made from steel. Most of the public visiting out parks complain about the roughness of some of the coasters, such as the cyclone. So why build a new wooden coaster that would have similar or lower thrill levels than the cyclone yet with the same "roughness" as the aging ride. I say build a new steel coaster that had higher thrills, less of a footprint, for a fraction of the maintenance requirements and costs.

So why build a new wooden coaster that would have similar or lower thrill levels than the cyclone

Most wooden coasters I have been on are more thrilling than cyclone...More airtime, faster pacing, and in some cases, smoother.

This looks pretty exciting, no?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEyaPCT6_GM

Edited by Gazza

Don't get me wrong I know woodies can be thrilling

But you just said it would be less thrilling than Cyclone, one of the worst coasters on the Gold Coast?!

White Water World: There are no simple drop slides like the Jetstreams at White Water World, so something like that may be there next attraction

It might be a bit hard to market though? I mean freefall slides have been on the Gold Coast in some form or another since the 80s.

I think the slides on offer at WnW Syd are a pretty good indication of what we could expect up here...There's enough to choose (And a few we dont have yet like a mega tube) from as a first choice that we don't really need to build something we already have.

That was just a concept and isn't actually going to be built.

Was there an announcement of it being cancelled I missed?

So why build a new wooden coaster that would have similar or lower thrill levels than the cyclone

You did not just say that...

Did you...

Did you... just say that? I'm going to take a stab in the dark and guess you haven't ridden an Intamin wooden coaster. El Toro is regarded as being one of the most thrilling and intense coasters in the world, not to mention one of the best. Same goes for Balder and T Express. Also you talk about how it'd be too smooth, but then say it'd be too rough, like Cyclone? I'm failing to see the consistency here, sorry.

But lets ignore the possibility of an Intamin woodie, especially considering one hasn't been built for 5-6 years. A GCI woodie would be a perfect addition. Australia doesn't have a proper wooden coaster, and GCI build some really fun, smooth (but still retaining the classic woodie "rattle") awesome wooden coasters. A smallish GCI woodie would be cheaper than most steel coasters anyway, and would be family friendly due to low height restriction yet still thrilling enough for the brainded teenage public who will jump at the chance at calling it "boring".

If we were to then ignore a GCI woodie and think of an RMC woodie like Gazza posted, that's a whole different story. An inverting wooden coaster would be an extremely new and exciting concept for Australia. Its still quite new and exciting overseas. A coaster like that would be acknowledged as one of the very best in the world, and would be a sure fire star attraction to Movieworld for sure.

But I'm going to actually put all that aside for a second and ask, what type of steel coaster do you propose Movieworld should add? I can't think of many low cost, compact, enjoyable steel coaster that would beat a woodie IMO. Maybe a eurofighter, but Movieworld already has an El Loco, a very similar concept.

Okay, /end essay. Phew.

Edited by alex_1

I don't understand everyone's longing for a wooden coaster in our parks :blink:

There have been several threads over the years where those who see the value and quality in a wooden coaster vs. a steel one. Yes, steel is modern, but that doesn't mean wooden coasters are obsolete.... they're a different experience entirely. Do a little searching around the forums and you'll find some of the old threads which will save many from repeating themselves...

On my recent trip through the west coast of the USA, I rode many different coasters - wood and steel, of almost every variety imaginable.

The one that got closest to shitting myself on was Ghostrider at Knotts - A Custom Coasters International Woodie. It is by far the most out of control experience i've ever had on a coaster.

(Colossus at SFMM, while rough, was still a big favourite for me).

Last check the Harry Potter store is now just a generic store.

Ahhh... like Whitewater Mountain, something else that had gone unnoticed for a while. So what do they sell? last time they had mostly HP themed merch - what do they stock these days?

Was there an announcement of it being cancelled I missed?

In the most recent Future of Fun email it referred to the fact that feedback provided on the ride was clear that the next ride at MW should be a family friendly ride that caters for kids, adults and grandparents. So not exactly - but indirectly

Australia doesn't have a proper wooden coaster.

Really?? What is your definition of a "proper wooden coaster"?? I am sure LPM and Scenic Railway may contend this statement or even LPS and Aussie World with both examples of Wild Mouse. These 3 examples all definitely come under the umbrella of "Wooden Coaster", I can assure you.

A more accurate statement would be perhaps "Australia doesn't have any MODERN wooden coasters".

But you just said it would be less thrilling than Cyclone, one of the worst coasters on the Gold Coast!?

Just my opinion but I really feel that this is harsh. Cyclone IMHO does not deserve this tag and I really do not understand the overall hatred for this ride.........

It's one of the worst...Wouldn't be better than anything at MW, possibly on par with Sea Viper, and at Dreamworld I think Buzzsaw and TOT are better rides.

I get that it used to be at LPS so you perhaps like it for that reason, but the drops are more gentle inclines, turns are too wide, and it just isn't that special really.

That's without mentioning how roughly it runs.

Edited by Gazza

Well..I did say my opinion!! :). Perhaps because it was at LPS I have a soft spot for it....its my considered opinion that the ride experience when it was at LPS was far superior than what it is now at Dreamworld...the overall ambience and the closeness of the cliff made for a far more satisfying ride experience. And although its been a little while since I have ridden it, it is true that time has not been kind. The last time I rode it ( some 3 years ago) it was the roughest ride I have yet encountered on it so I guess the intervening years have made it even rougher. I feel that it is a more satisfying ride experience than Sea Viper, however, and it is certainly in my mind better then Motocoaster and of course I put it above RoadRunner..so I guess I view it simply as not being on the bottom......and certainly nowhere near our best!