Wet'n'Wild Sydney Reaches Capacity

GoGoBoy

AlexB - I had a pretty intimate involvement with Wonderland towards the end. The park was still pulling just under a million visitors per year WITHOUT any capital expenditure for almost 10 years (which is something you just can't do in the theme park industry). Sunway had zero interest in the park. They saw the $$$ when it came to the land - it was all about the land and the shift to industrial uses in the area. If Sunway were interested in keeping the theme park, a little capital expenditure would have easily seen the visitation levels crack the million mark again, thereby coming close to the success of the GC parks.

The park's attendance numbers were propped up by busloads of asian tourists who came for the koala photo, australiana, and the leg stretch on the way to Katoomba at severely discounted rates for group bookings.

Attendance was not a reflection of profitability for that park for some time.

It's really interesting watching WnWS strategy unfold. The thing about this park is it was always going to be a success. There really was no chance a quality water park during summer in Sydney would fail given the lack of competition. So it's interesting to see the park set it's price, apparently worry that it was pricing itself out of the market, reduce it's price with a Silver Pass, then get totally overwhelmed with guests. I don't propose I know what they should have done at each turn, but it's interesting to see it all play out. It's interesting that they have people saying "It's too expensive I won't go and neither will anyone else", while at the same time they're hitting capacity and having to turn people away. I hope they keep being transparent, because as someone who follows the industry, it's fascinating to see the success the park is having verses the turmoil it's also suffering from. If the numbers keep going the way they are it's tempting to be talking about what's going to be the new attraction for next year to soak up the crowds, as it were.

It's really interesting watching WnWS strategy unfold. The thing about this park is it was always going to be a success. There really was no chance a quality water park during summer in Sydney would fail given the lack of competition. So it's interesting to see the park set it's price, apparently worry that it was pricing itself out of the market, reduce it's price with a Silver Pass, then get totally overwhelmed with guests. I don't propose I know what they should have done at each turn, but it's interesting to see it all play out. It's interesting that they have people saying "It's too expensive I won't go and neither will anyone else", while at the same time they're hitting capacity and having to turn people away. I hope they keep being transparent, because as someone who follows the industry, it's fascinating to see the success the park is having verses the turmoil it's also suffering from. If the numbers keep going the way they are it's tempting to be talking about what's going to be the new attraction for next year to soak up the crowds, as it were.

Great post joz. Although I'm not sure if you are right about the silver pass being a change in strategy. I got the sense from the outset that the Gold Pass was the 'premium' pass and there were always going to be more options to come - WnW alluded to as much. I remember saying to my flatmate that there will probably be cheaper tickets and it might be worth waiting to see.

Great post joz. Although I'm not sure if you are right about the silver pass being a change in strategy. I got the sense from the outset that the Gold Pass was the 'premium' pass and there were always going to be more options to come - WnW alluded to as much. I remember saying to my flatmate that there will probably be cheaper tickets and it might be worth waiting to see.

I see the logic in that, but if that is the case, explain to me why they introduced 'buy 3 get one free' gold passes, and made the offer retrospective to include those who had already purchased 3 or 4? If that move was planned from the get-go, why make the offer retrospective?

On a side note, i dislike posting rumors (*which at the moment this is) but I am seeking truth - an unofficial facebook page about the park posted that there was a near-drowning incident there yesterday - details i've read* are sketchy at best, but from what I can gather so far - a 2 year old was unattended not 'constantly' supervised in the wave pool and was taken from the water unconscious. Lifeguards on duty were able to resuscitate and she is currently at Westmead recovering.

Additionally, the info suggests this is not the first "near-drown" since the park has been open.

*the info comes from facebook comments, so we know thats 100% reliable (not), so don't shoot the messenger, i'm just repeating what was said. I don't claim that any of this is fact, i'm posting this to seek confirmation from others who may have better or more reliable information.

(If anyone has anything to say about this - I ask that you refrain from aiming criticism at the park or the lifeguards, neither of which are babysitters or able to watch 22,000 people on their own, but should be congratulated on their quick action to revive the child. At the same time - feel free to aim any critique squarely on the shoulders of the parents who should never have let go of the childs hand whilst in the water)

I see the logic in that, but if that is the case, explain to me why they introduced 'buy 3 get one free' gold passes, and made the offer retrospective to include those who had already purchased 3 or 4? If that move was planned from the get-go, why make the offer retrospective?

I wasn't talking about the 'buy 3 get one free' offer, I was talking about the Silver Pass. I agree that the buy 3 offer could well have been a change of strategy.

In regard to the 2-year-old, the 7 news report said she did not need resuscitation and is now fine.

Edited by GoGoBoy

(If anyone has anything to say about this - I ask that you refrain from aiming criticism at the park or the lifeguards, neither of which are babysitters or able to watch 22,000 people on their own, but should be congratulated on their quick action to revive the child. At the same time - feel free to aim any critique squarely on the shoulders of the parents who should never have let go of the childs hand whilst in the water)

And i for one totally agree's with you AlexB,the lifeguards are not there to baby sitter someones children, they are not there to be parents to some ones child, since the park had opened 2weeks ago i had been going there about 3x a week just to get the feel and understand it's operation, yes there has been hicups along the way, partially due to the operations in the slides and rides caused by mechanical or electrical issues but that's what you would expect in it's first weeks of operation i suppose, and yes i have witnessed 2 police officers babysitting 7 children at a very young age because their Parent/s were busy enjoying them selves on the slides and why? because they had left the older child whom i assume was only 10 yrs old to take care of the rest of the children which all ranged from 10 yrs down, 20 mins had gone by and all i saw were these 2 police officers doing a really good job at taking care of these children, playing with them, talking to them, just practically keeping them safe......

As i had my camera rolling the female Police officer was holding one of the little kids in her arms and i think she was dancing to one of the music playing from the loud speakers when the mother's of the children appeared and that's when the police officers gave them a few words that i could not understand but from what i was seeing from their body language they were not very happy (police officers) and yes the parents were pointing at the older child telling them that he was taking care of them.........

The second time i came across a child on her own was on Sunday 22nd Dec while swimming at the beach close to shore with my nephews i heard this scream and crying from behind me and i turned around and here was this 5yr old child screaming and yelling out for her mother, i said to her are you ok? and she said "My mummy" while crying and yelling her mom's name, i didn't know what to do so i gave her to the nearest mother to me who was swimming with her child and i watched her give that crying child to a life saver.

These parents are so excited about Wet'n'Wild Sydney that they just seem to forget who the child is in their family...

If putting pictures like these and comments about this sort of thing up here in this forum is not accepted by the community please let me know and i will refrain from doing so, i know we are suppose to talk about the parks and all it's wonders but i'm also wondering if this is a different issue?

post-29368-0-90475200-1387890811_thumb.j

post-29368-0-41304600-1387890867_thumb.j

post-29368-0-63518800-1387890918_thumb.j

post-29368-0-23726400-1387890957_thumb.j

post-29368-0-01781000-1387890991_thumb.j

I seem to remember universal studios Singapore doing the exact same thing when they first opened and look at what the granddaddy of theme parks is bringing in.MThe new system allows you to book in advance your whole holiday. Select the day you are going, select your fast passes. Book seats at the live showsand restaurants, (even reserve you roar add spot) online weeks (even months in some instances) before your day comes to visit. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/plan/my-disney-experience/passholder/

Irrelevant, WDW will still deny you entry if the park is full.

Mate. I'm not going to get into an argument, if you have an in-park dining reservation or even a booking in the barber or boutique, they do not deny you access. Edited for clarification - Once the park starts nearing capacity they start closures in phases. Annual pass holders and those with in-park reservations (dining and appointments) are the last type of ticket denied entry. They deny entry to all other types prior to this.Lets be clear, with how wdw is moving with the my magic band, and the fact you can book a specific day, with specific attraction times and dining plans and fast passes, there is no way they will deny access to you if you have pre-booked all of this prior to your trip. I didn't mention FP+ as an entry condition. Now, it is fairly reverent here because wnws could have made guests book specific days for one day admission to try and cap numbers early And to upsell their own Annual pass as an everyday option, go when you want situation.

Edited by aussienetman

I have read numerous posts on facebook stating that they think that this is only Stage 1 of Wet n Wild and there is another 2 stages to come. But from what I can see they were originally going to build it in 3 stages but went against that and put it all into one, there doesnt seem to be any development applications either supporting any new additions as yet.

Does anyone know/think that they will be adding any extra rides over the winter break? I just cannot see any logic why they would seek to update it already, when they are currently doing a roaring trade and struggling to attract the necessary staffing.

Why would they expand already? It just doesn't make sense to me I think it will be at least 3 more seasons before they do anything. dannant where did you get the information that WnWS is struggling for staffing levels? "The Bus is now leaving for Staff Well, Western Australia"

Thanks Bussy, I thought as much, Im guessing they are just digging up old articles.

re staff levels, a few people have made comments that the reason 'The Boomerang' is not operating in full is due to staff, plus they always seem to be advertising on job agencies and there is a cap on attendance (something about 1 lifeguard per 100 people in attendance). There is also talk of staff being brought down from GC parks, but I find that hard to believe with the wages they are paying...

I think you're on the money Danaant. There is no reason to install anything else except for capacity reasons, which while being hit now, would need to be consistent for the rest of the season to warrant it.

Bussy - there has been a lot of rhetoric that attractions have been closed because they did not have the staff to man them - eg - the lazy river. Not saying it's true, but it has been said a lot.

Regarding the NYE Festival - HOLY SHIT... to get this close to the date and cancel? Thats a bit rough... going to be a lot of pissed off people who have no other plans for New Years Eve....

I think you will find one of the main reasons this was cancelled is that WnW still don't have their liquor license. When I went 2 weeks ago they had alcohol in the surf club but weren't allowed to sell it.

Feel sorry for all those peeps that made plans to go tonight.

Any money the Australia Day 'replacement' will be canned as well who would trust them now lol