Wet'n'Wild Adds Insult to Injury

Wet'n'Wild

Sent to Wet'n'Wild, Gold Coast:

I made a decision to leave it one year before contacting you with this complaint about a response to feedback, which I raised with you on December 29, 2012.

I hope my emotional detachment will be evident, and you will see this feedback for what it is – a last ditch attempt to incite a considerate response. Not a response to me, but a response you owe to all members of the community who may find themselves eating at your establishment - a response that involves listening and acting.

Last year I attended a staff Christmas party at your venue. Chicken legs were available, and the particular chicken leg that ended up on my plate was larger than the majority. After I ate it, my husband noticed that it was undercooked. I have already provided useful feedback regarding that incident (refer excerpt of email), and I would just like to get off my chest my view regarding your response to this very serious issue.

I have no confidence that you have done anything to ensure that undercooked chicken will not be served at your premises again. Indeed, how could you possibly have done anything when you appear to have adopted and demonstrated a “deny and do nothing” attitude. This was apparent during my phone conversation with Lauren, from Guest Services. She called to advise me in no uncertain terms, with a manner which was less than apologetic, that you already have procedures in place so, therefore, the incident I advised you of couldn’t have happened! That sort of approach leaves no room for improvement.

I understand that there may be times when some people are not sure of the source of their food poisoning and may point the finger in the wrong direction, but I can assure you that that is not the case in these circumstances. My fourth child was just over a month old at the time, and it was the first time since her birth that I had eaten ‘out’. I have always adhered to a particular diet during and after pregnancy, and in the early stages of breastfeeding – a nourishing diet which I had been enjoying at home until that day. Not to mention the fact that I was looking at the undercooked chicken leg bone on the plate in front of me, and all my symptoms, and their timing, confirmed my expectations of what was to come because of it.

I feel it is my duty to make it known that you were notified of this potential tragedy 12 months ago. This may sound melodramatic, and I won’t go into the details of what I suffered, but I will say that it was the worst case - in more ways than one - of diarrhoea that I have experienced, and the consequences for me, had I still been pregnant, or for a young child or an elderly person, may have been dire.

You’re big enough to know better. And I’m not talking about the undercooked chicken – that was understandable. That was forgiven a long time ago, as is evident in my original email to you. I’m talking about your cavalier response. I am of the opinion that the only way for me to feel ‘heard’ is to copy this email to social media & forums. I can’t get a worse response.

Regards

Michelle

“...Anyone working in the food industry knows the dangers of undercooked chicken. The chicken leg I had may have been larger than the average size, which was probably a contributing factor. That is something to watch out for in future. I don't know what to suggest... remove larger looking legs; base cooking times to ensure largest legs are cooked through (a few overcooked legs are much better than a few undercooked legs).

I hope you will treat this, not as a complaint but, as an opportunity to make sure you do all you can to prevent this from happening again.

Edited by Wet'n'Wild

Just from reading this:

I have already provided useful feedback regarding that incident

She called to advise me in no uncertain terms, with a manner which was less than apologetic, that you already have procedures in place

You sound like one of those douchebags who feels the need to tell a company how to do their job.

There's a right way and a wrong way to make a complaint, and just by reading this post, yours comes across like it would have been a pretty piss poor one.

Edited by reanimated35

Uuuhhh... Parkz doesn't directly or officially represent any of the parks, so it's pointless to be posting your complaint here if you're trying to reach Wet 'n' Wild via some alternative method to be heard.

If you're here for sympathy votes, attention or something else I can't think of, then you're doing it wrong.

Being I'm not an expert at law I can't be certain here, but wouldn't Wet'n'Wild's response of 'we have the correct procedures in place' be a way specifically not to take the blame, because if at any stage they admitted to being responsible for your food poising they are then liable for you to sue them. Unfortunately these days even when someone gets stuck in a slide or **trips** over they see $$ signs, so now ALL companies these days seem to deny, deny, deny and demonstrate the procedures in place to ensure it doesn't happen.

Uuuhhh... Parkz doesn't directly or officially represent any of the parks, so it's pointless to be posting your complaint here if you're trying to reach Wet 'n' Wild via some alternative method to be heard.

If you're here for sympathy votes, attention or something else I can't think of, then you're doing it wrong.

Thank-you, I really do appreciate the feedback. I have contacted them directly - I sent this exact letter to them. I am not after sympathy. It's just one of those things I wanted to get off my chest and leave in 2013. I am entitled to express my opinion, and maybe someone reading this one day will care to know of Wet'n'Wild's attitude. I will not be logging in to this website again, as I can see from these first few posts that it's a bit harsh for me. I'm kind and sensitive, and it is very clear to me now that this site does not have the sort of readers who can empathise. Goodbye & good luck to you all!

Being I'm not an expert at law I can't be certain here, but wouldn't Wet'n'Wild's response of 'we have the correct procedures in place' be a way specifically not to take the blame, because if at any stage they admitted to being responsible for your food poising they are then liable for you to sue them. Unfortunately these days even when someone gets stuck in a slide or **trips** over they see $$ signs, so now ALL companies these days seem to deny, deny, deny and demonstrate the procedures in place to ensure it doesn't happen.

You're lovely - so normal! I am really not after anyone's feedback or response. I told them in my letter that I would post this, so I have. My job is done. And I really am off now, never to return and read again...

Op, let it go and move on. It was a year ago as you said... Teaching your kids to hold onto petty things like this is setting them up for failure. Yes I sympathise that you got an undercooked piece of chicken, but I don't understand what you expect wet n wild to do in this instance. It sounds to me like you are after compensation....

Fact #1 - most people think that the last thing they ate was what caused their illness.

Fact #2 - in many of those cases, it wasn't, and it can take (sometimes) days for any food borne illness to take hold as your immune system delays the response.

Fact #3 - Although things like chicken and pork can be home to a host of nasties, almost every protein can fall victim to these sorts of bacteria regardless of handling technique.

In what was most likely a buffet style meal (and most likely served outdoors given WnW doesn't have function rooms) there are inherent risks associated with buffet style dining - insects can also play a part. You'd have to be superman to keep the food absolutely 100% free from any worry.

A slightly pink leg does not indicate it is undercooked. Chicken Thigh Leg will always be a little 'pink' - especially if you compare it to breast meat. Because most chicken we eat comes from the breast, we freak out when we see a blood spot (happens regularly) or thigh meat that is a little pinker.

Unless your husband works in food standards and safety, or is responsible for the maintenance of a commercial kitchen - he's got no idea what he's talking about - and you don't either - because you didn't notice it until after you had finished eating it. You describe your feeling as you looked at the bone, and thats all I need to confirm your feeling was psychosomatic and nothing more. You were likely beginning to feel ill from something you ate earlier, and your mind preferred to settle on the slightly pink chicken you ate moments prior.

Given your recent pregnancy and continued breast feeding you were, as you say, sticking to a strict diet... however this implies most if not all your food was prepared at home - Is your home regularly inspected by the department of health? Are you required to maintain food standards to a saleable state?

Probably not.

More likely - your 'strict diet' had poor food standards and you made yourself sick.

Without medical reports, pathology or other evidence - I call bullshit. You're in the wrong place.

*Side note - if you've been adhering to a very strict diet for several months, and then suddenly introduce something different to your system, it will cause diarrhea regardless of whether it is well cooked or not*

Edited by AlexB