Wet n Wild: Concept vs reality

vaero

Hello,

So this is a rather depressing first post but anyway... On Friday I finally made it to Wet n Wild Sydney for my first visit! Are reading all about it and seeing the concept/propsal pictures and videos I was really excited to see this rather enormous project come to fruitation. Upon entering the park I have to say I was very underwelmed... The layout of the park was very basic for a "World class water park". Don't get me wrong the rides are excellet but the landscaping, decor, signage even the buildings look so cheap! The slides were already starting the fade and some of them even had tape covering already developing cracks! One tower was looking flooded from leaking pipes! The biggest let down was the wave pool. After seeing the concept picture below I was expecting waterfalls, palm trees, rocks... all it was, was a pool with 'Wet n Wild" on it...

What happened to this park? Why did they decide to scrap it and go with a cheap verson?

2apx0i.png

25z5fnk.png

Also does anyone have concpet pictures for any of Australias other parks?

Edited by vaero

I haven't seen that wavepool concept before. Very interesting. Also interesting to see a couple of lazy rivers that actually look good. I think with the deadline they were trying to meet they realised that half of it wasn't feasible - at the end of the day the wave pool is still a wave pool and the park still has slides. The public doesnt know any better. I'm guessing they would've analyzed if spending the extra millions to realize the original concept would translate into a more successful park... And based on the recent attendance figures that answer was obviously no.

As I think I have mentioned in another thread before, the original plans for the park were created by WhiteWater West. Everything above appears to be from those intial plans. The park we got was designed by Water Technology.

djrappa, I'm not sure which type of wave pool they went with, but I do know they had an "Australian guy" design it over the more common wave pool manufacturers.

As I think I have mentio The park we got was designed by Water Technology.

-_-

Just read on Wiki that the original White water plans were estimated to cost $80 million and the Water technology plans costed $115 million! Why would they build a more expernsive park that is complete s*** compared to the orginal plans? VHRS is building a WnW in Chia so i'll be interresting to see how it turns out.

Edited by vaero

Why would they build a more expernsive park that is complete s*** compared to the orginal plans?

Why would they hire a security manager (and allow him to hire his incapable partner's security company also) instead of a good one? They don't always make the smartest move - neither do you or I.

One thing - and this is separate to the concept plans to what we got - but many people have commented on the lack of landscaping and 'theme' around the park, both here and on facebook.

I've seen photos of Wonderland when it first opened (i went to the pre-opening but was a bit too young to remember). I visited Movie World 2 years after it opened also. One thing that strikes me about both is the lack of established trees and landscaping.

I don't think Calypso Beach was fully-grown shrubbery when it first opened either.

The point is - judge the landscaping in 3 or 4 years when it's had time to establish and grow. Sure they could have shipped in fully-grown plants trees, but the additional costs to landscape such an area are both prohibitive and unnecessary. More shade and shrubbery will take hold over time.

The other thing to remember is that they rushed to get this place open for this season, and it's popularity is proving that was a smart move as they keep extending trading hours... but at some stage, they will close for the season, at which point, they can come in, and start fixing up all the little things that aren't quite right, planting, repairing or replacing plants, and by next summer, all the gardens will thrive...

Just give it time. When Disneyland opened in 1955, nothing worked.

All good points but I can't get over what could have been... I don't know why i'm taking it so personally tbh, its just a theme park! I personally wouldnt haven minded waiting till this summer if it ment we got the original park. Also how is it possiable that the slides are already getting covered in tape from what I assume are cracks and holes?! It's not even 1 year old! (is it even 6 months old?) I also forgot to say in the opeing post how awful the food outlets are! Especially the one between the WnW Jr area and the lockers.

I'm sure that over the off season, the original plants will grow in and they'll have time to plant more. I'm eager to see what will eventuate of this park. I'm more eager to see if another park will eventuate in the same area. The day I see that thread open on this website will be one to remember.

I think part of their problem 'down under' with a seasonal theme park is that their staff don't have anywhere else to go in the off season, so you're likely to have itinerant workforce that aren't invested in the park, and don't care, because at the end of the season, they're out of a job.

I think part of their problem 'down under' with a seasonal theme park is that their staff don't have anywhere else to go in the off season, so you're likely to have itinerant workforce that aren't invested in the park, and don't care, because at the end of the season, they're out of a job.

This wouldn't be specific to Australia - I imagine Cedar Point would have the same problem (with an even shorter season), or any US park that isn't in California or Florida.

True, although most USA parks with seasonal operation do so because of the colder climates, and I daresay a lot of their staff might moonlight on the Ski-Fields in winter - that isn't as practical over here for Western Sydney employees... firstly because they're too far away from the ski fields, and secondly because it isn't as big of an industry over here.