Reef Diver Closing

T-bone

Well, looks like we have our next development plot at Dreamworld. I stumbled upon this ad on AusLeisure advertising that the Reef Diver at Dreamworld is up for sale, and will be closing by the end of April.

http://www.ausleisure.com.au/images/Ads/2014%20Ads/Dreamworld%20Ride%20Ad%20QP%20102%20Final%20bulletin.pdf

So with the Reef Diver gone, and Stingray having departed a while ago now, that does leave a sizable plot of land for a new flat, if they decide to go that direction, but for all we know it may become a glorified seating and garden area like the Stingray area...

Dreamworld Ride Ad QP 102 Final bulletin.pdf

What do we reckon; Aussie World, Adventure World or other?

In recent times, Funfields has picked up Sea World's Pirate Ship and Dreamworld's Stingray. Maybe they are ready for another second-hand Gold Coast ride?

It's also interesting to note the ride is listed as a Meisho (manufacturer of the Thunderbolt), not S.D.C. who I presume manufactured the original installation that ran from 1983 to 1998.

Interesting!! I actually think this would be a perfect pickup for Aussie World- the ride is in good material condition and not that long since its refurbishment for Dreamworld. (1998). This would fit in perfectly with Aussie World's other attractions and if purchased at the right price would be another sound investment for this burgeoning little park. In saying that, Funfields in Victoria is expanding at a very nice rate, and has been previously pointed out, already has 2 ex GC park rides in its lineup. Time for a third?? Again would be a very good option!! Hopefully it will stay in Australia!! Time will tell!!

In recent times, Funfields has picked up Sea World's Pirate Ship and Dreamworld's Stingray. Maybe they are ready for another second-hand Gold Coast ride?

It's also interesting to note the ride is listed as a Meisho (manufacturer of the Thunderbolt), not S.D.C. who I presume manufactured the original installation that ran from 1983 to 1998.

There is temporary signage at the ride stating that due to a change in manufacturer requirements the height minimum is now 110cm... Not sure how long that had been there but thought it interesting to note...

who knows, maybe theyre revamping the entire ocean parade section since they seem to be refurbishing The Wipeout. But wasnt this ride opened in 2000. Is it really at its point of age to be removed?

Dreamworld has always had an Enterprise model of some kind in that spot since opening day. Whether or not the one operating today is the same model as the one which opened with the park is a different question.

I think re paint it to silver and call it the UFO it is would be a perfect replacement for the Flying Saucer that is leaving Luna Park Sydney

Not a bad idea but keep in mind nothing official regarding the fate of Flying Saucer at LPS has been made just yet. The ride is still being assessed on whether it is still viable to keep running at this stage. From my understanding they are looking at all options to keep this ride operational including the cost of manufacturing the required parts and spares before officially declaring the ride unsalvageable.

The thing that's surprised me about this is I genuinely thought it was a new model when they brought it in to replace the original Enterprise. It must be bloody old if they don't know when it was originally manufactured.

Also T-Bone, did Dreamworld open with Enterprise? I thought it was added later on?

Edited by joz

TBH I always thought it was a HUSS and never bothered to look any closer. It will be interesting to see whether Dreamworld have plans for the StingrayReefDiver area already, or whether it's just another block of land inside the park's boundaries that will sit and rot - like Skylink and Eureka.

If i'm not actually mistaken the original dreamworld unit might have been a Schwarzkopf unit not a S.D.C, I can't say with 100% certainty but that's what I had heard from a few people. This unit was removed and replaced with this newer unit and ended up sitting up the back of Downunderland in Canberra until the park closed, no idea where it is now though. I'd say it's likely been scrapped.

Before any enterprise style ride in the same place was an UMBRELLA PARATROOPER. A few years ago when I saw my mother I was looking at some photos albums and came across a photo of me riding an Umbrella Paratrooper and this was at xmas time in Dreamworld, the first year it opened. I do not remember if it was a temp ride or not but I do remember all the flowers around it. For people who don't know, what I remember most about Dreamworld as a kid, is the amount of colourful flowers and the perfectly manicured lawns.

What do we reckon; Aussie World, Adventure World or other?

My bet is Funfields.

they just keep selling all their rides one day it will be the whole park

In all honesty, I'm not too bothered by this. The park really does need to rationalise and get rid of some of their excess of old, lowly patronised flat rides.

Edited by Gazza

Yeah I get that - but we've got all these e-tickets with capacity sub-par to a portaloo at soundwave, and all these old-school flats that just don't pull a crowd... its a shame that they're ripping out these big capacity rides because they've lost popularity, while at the same time installing all these 'big-wow poor-capacity' substitutes. Eventually, they'll get to a point where you won't get a ride on most things you want to ride without a Q4U... even on quiet days.