1985 SeaWorld Helicopter hijacking

Reanimated35

First I've ever come across this. Bit of an interesting read.

http://mypolice.qld.gov.au/museum/2014/02/25/vault-eagle-farm-siege/

---

...entered the Seaworld complex at the Gold Coast and arranged a four hour helicopter ride for his two children. As Petrovic has sold his trucking business just months before he easily covered the $2,000 flight fee. While in the air over Currumbin, Petrovic pulled a sawn-off shotgun on the pilot and demanded to be flown to a US airbase in Japan.

---

It's ~7300km. I believe at the time Seaworld was using Bell 206 JetRangers. These things have a range of ~650km.

I mean if you're gonna hijack something, do the math first.

Edited by reanimated35

There's a serious part of me that wonders if Sea World lost any money on that joy flight overall (including paying the pilot and flying the aircraft back from Brisbane). Seriously though, have a read if you haven't already. The thing about this story and others like it that I don't fully understand, is that this man didn't do this spontaneously in a fit of rage, he clearly planned before hand, with a somewhat level head in an attempt to win back his kids, did he really think it would work?

• 7 years later...
On 27/02/2014 at 2:10 AM, joz said:

There's a serious part of me that wonders if Sea World lost any money on that joy flight overall (including paying the pilot and flying the aircraft back from Brisbane). Seriously though, have a read if you haven't already. The thing about this story and others like it that I don't fully understand, is that this man didn't do this spontaneously in a fit of rage, he clearly planned before hand, with a somewhat level head in an attempt to win back his kids, did he really think it would work?

The pilot returned to work, the next day. Did not have any down time nor did he receive any compensation for what he went through. A 25 minute flight from Eagle farm to Sea World did not cost the company much. The hijackers family made several threats of harm against the pilot and his family. None of which were taken seriously by Queensland Police or Sea World. The pilot was severely affected by this.

On 13/10/2021 at 1:46 PM, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Sounds like you have close associations to the pilot. Not sure how old the pilot was then or is now, but i'm respectfully wondering how they got on long term if that is something you're comfortable discussing...?

The pilot was my father who recently passed away. This event changed him and he was never the same again. Happy to answer any all questions. Thank you for the way that you asked your question.