What makes a good ride?

BigKev

i guess it first needs to be established - 'what kind of ride' ? Coaster, Spin&Spew, Drop tower... there are many different types for consideration before we can move on

Then it's the experience - the forces, the overall story (if any) what you get from entering the queue until you unload and go 'wow'

Then the theming - which does also tie in with the 'story' part - but how well it's done or how well it's pulled off....

I think you'd need to be a little more specific for us to give you specifics about a 'good ride' - which of course leads to the last point -

Opinion. Everyone has one, not all of them are wrong.

For example - many people question why others say a park should build a woodie, when they could buy a steel coaster for the same money. there is a thread on here that goes for hundreds of posts on that very subject, so I won't rehash the reasons now, but suffice to say that those who argue woodies are out of date, aren't as good as a steel coaster or otherwise that the park should not get one are usually proven quite wrong on the issue.

On the flip side, some people will argue that traditional flats like an enterprise are crap - but that is often because spin&spew rides don't agree with them, and make them sick - just because they don't enjoy the ride, doesn't mean that others don't.

In my personal opinion the inventor of the Zacspin needs to be shot, however i'm sure others love it....

There's no magic formula to a 'good ride'... each has it's own pros and cons and its a good balance of this that makes it just 'work'

I believe that for a ride to be good it must feature a number of things:

- A story line and theming. If it doesn't have these then it is just like a carnival ride. The ride has got to have a sense of purpose and take riders on a journey.

- A unique experience. This doesn't mean that it has to be super fast or break world records, it just needs to be unique. An example of this is a log ride. It's got to have water and a drop. But to make it a good ride its got to take the rider on a journey and feature something unexpected (Eg. Wild West Falls, you go backwards).

Examples of good rides on the gold coast are Superman Escape, Arkham Asylum, Wild West Falls, Scooby-Doo spooky coaster, storm coaster.

Good rides or Airtime?

Both fit the context really well, but I was referring to airtime.

I believe that for a ride to be good it must feature a number of things:

- A story line and theming. If it doesn't have these then it is just like a carnival ride. The ride has got to have a sense of purpose and take riders on a journey.

- A unique experience. This doesn't mean that it has to be super fast or break world records, it just needs to be unique. An example of this is a log ride. It's got to have water and a drop. But to make it a good ride its got to take the rider on a journey and feature something unexpected (Eg. Wild West Falls, you go backwards).

Examples of good rides on the gold coast are Superman Escape, Arkham Asylum, Wild West Falls, Scooby-Doo spooky coaster, storm coaster.

I agree with you. Some of my favourite rides of all time would not be great if they were bare-bones, but because of their unique features and theming I prefer them a lot more

For me, a good ride has to have some airtime (preferably ejector). Its just something you really can't find anywhere but at theme parks

Does that mean like Superman where it sorts of shoots out the tunnel and over the peak or like a tower drop type thing?

I'm assuming there are no rides that actually go in the air independently? :o

Does that mean like Superman where it sorts of shoots out the tunnel and over the peak or like a tower drop type thing?

I'm assuming there are no rides that actually go in the air independently? :o

The best examples of airtime I can think of in Australia are the hills on Superman Escape, the drop on the Giant Drop, most of the Tower of Terror II, and some of the drops on Scooby-Doo Spooky Coaster. So pretty much what you said.

Edited by Zanstabar

With coasters, they have to have a good mixture of forces. I was going to add that they should be smooth, which is generally true, but Saw the Ride is in my top 10 coasters and it still hurts like a bitch, so...

My favourite ride I've ever been on, though, is actually a non coaster ride - Transformers at Universal Singapore. The theming and effects were absolutely amazing, and fully immersive, and the movements were thrilling and felt realistic. If a ride can immerse you like that, it's truly great.

With coasters, they have to have a good mixture of forces. I was going to add that they should be smooth, which is generally true, but Saw the Ride is in my top 10 coasters and it still hurts like a bitch, so...

My favourite ride I've ever been on, though, is actually a non coaster ride - Transformers at Universal Singapore. The theming and effects were absolutely amazing, and fully immersive, and the movements were thrilling and felt realistic. If a ride can immerse you like that, it's truly great.

Agreed. A good mix of forces, and different inversions if it has any.

I did Transformers at Universal Hollywood, the theming of the queue and ride as well as the movement of the ride was amazing, and the story is awesome.

I haven't been to a theme park outside of Australia, so I can only compare the rides to each other, unlike other people who have been to America and Europe. With the knowledge I have I think Arkham has great theming. Just my opinion.

That's fair enough. Even dealing only with Australian parks I'd still put Superman Escape, WWF, Scooby, Storm, Justice League and probably even Green Lantern above Arkham. Some wall decals and batman on top of a random facade don't make a theme.

That's fair enough. Even dealing only with Australian parks I'd still put Superman Escape, WWF, Scooby, Storm, Justice League and probably even Green Lantern above Arkham. Some wall decals and batman on top of a random facade don't make a theme.

I agree with that list, except I think that Arkham Asylum has better theming than Green Lantern.

Enjoying reading the thoughts on here.

To answer the previous posts I guess my thinking was this is a wide open thread, ie any sort of ride type.

Personally I agree with the posts regarding the 'story' of the ride.

I like it when designers have put some thought into the experience, not just seen how many times they can flip you upside down etc

I'm really looking forward to riding Storm next week for this reason.

For me, Arkham doesn't meet the 'if you want off before it's over' factor. I just find it uncomfortable, and unpleasant to ride, and every time I get on it, I regret it.

I enjoy the ride experience of Green Lantern, but not the theming. Can't really fault Superman Escape. WWF is a great ride of its kind, as was Scooby, in its prime (and could easily be fixed up a with a few minor fix ups).

For me, Arkham doesn't meet the 'if you want off before it's over' factor. I just find it uncomfortable, and unpleasant to ride, and every time I get on it, I regret it.

I too find AA to be the most uncomfortable coaster that I've ever been on. This is even after getting the jewels crushed on Riddler's Revenge (SFMM). Sure, the head banging was bad on LW, but I tried riding AA 3 different times and all 3 have resulted in leg pain and discomfort. I miss the LW cars.

And before some idiots jump in here and tell me how I'm wrong about my own experience again, this is just that, my experience and opinion. YMMV