Movie World Wet Weather Policy

Mort

All the parks have advertised disclaimers that some attractions won't operate in inclement weather.

I don't think they've gone into any further detail over precisely what that is. And, I think - that is for very good reason.

The minute you define exactly what will and won't happen, you open yourself up to issues when you aren't in strict conformity with the above. As i've mentioned recently in another thread, Wonderland's Bush Beast could operate in a decent wind - provided it wasn't in a general western direction as it caused the train to valley or stall.

Even calling it a 'wet weather' policy is troublesome. You're not going to operate Batwing with lightning in the area, regardless of whether you get a single drop of rain (pretty much all external attractions really). Scooby will run through anything, and Green lantern can probably operate with a fair bit of rain, so long as the operation of brakes aren't affected.

Superman on the other hand would most definitely not run in the rain, purely for the 'stinging pain to the face' sensation you get from an accelerator throwing you face first into the rain.

That said, I only ever saw a park-wide "61-Delta" at Wonderland once, and that was one hell of a storm. The simple point of these policies is guest safety, and it would be up to the judgment of the individual operator as to when they felt the safety of guests was at risk. As the person 'pushing the button' they are the ones ultimately responsible if a person is injured as a result of inclement weather.

Of course, the park can also make it's own decision or policy to shut down 'sooner' rather than 'later' but either way I think it is best just to accept the park's advice on the situation as and when it occurs, than trying to establish the 'rules' they work by.

Superman on the other hand would most definitely not run in the rain, purely for the 'stinging pain to the face' sensation you get from an accelerator throwing you face first into the rain.

I found that added to the fun. Until you get hit right in the eyeball. SE will stay open in some pretty decent rain. It's just up to us idiots to put ourselves through that. I for one advise doing so :P

One time, I went into the queue in the (relative) dry, but as soon as we turned that last corner to the launch I noticed it was raining.

Let's just say it wasn't too pleasant, but it didn't spoil the ride that bad. It was only really a problem during the launch. I shut my eyes just as we flew outside and all was well.

GL was a good laugh in the wet, your butt gets soaked when you are hung upside down.

Wild West Falls was such a nice place to be in the rain. I wanted to stop and stay there for a while. That beautiful town with a grey sky and light drizzle, something I dream of on weekdays.

Edited by AllegroCrab

The first time I rode Apollo's Chariot there was a light shower starting which developed into a full-blown downpour as the train crested the lift hill. And I was in the front row. Very, very fun ride, but also quite painful!

Of all the Gold Coast parks Movie World is probably the best one to get stuck in the rain at, as the main street is undercover and Scooby Doo/Justice League would be unlikely to close. Although, Wet 'n Wild probably wouldn't be too bad either.

Last year I was in line for Green Lenten and they closed all outdoor rides BEFORE it rained. I believe there was a storm warning but all we had was rain so I hanged in the arcade until it cleared.

And see that's precisely it - if the policy stipulated a certain amount or 'heaviness' of rain, then doing as you describe would have people complaining left right and centre. Chances are they received reports of lightning and decided to play it safe - kudos to MovieWorld.

I'm actually wondering - does Sea World have a lightning rod? I know that Wonderland had a lightning rod between Zodiac and Probe to prevent lightning striking either of those two rides - and given Sea World's history - i'm just wondering whether they've taken any steps to protect those two coasters?

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have previous weather experience / advice with WNW on an overcast / possible rainey day? It's grey as grey on the GC today with rain and possible thunderstorms forecast - does a day like this keep crowds away?

I have been on a rainy day before. I was there for opening and it was very grey. It rained for nearly all the day. It was during early March when I went (This was a couple of years ago). Obviously the surf rider does not operate if it is very heavy rain and if the lightning gets bad then they will close some/most of the rides. It usually goes keep the large crowds away, especially on a day like today when it is very overcast this morning. Most rides I found had a maximum wait of 20 minutes. I would say you will easily be able to do all the rides today, the water might be a bit cold though.

post-29557-0-55226200-1396140089_thumb.p

Edited by themagician

Does anyone have previous weather experience / advice with WNW on an overcast / possible rainey day? It's grey as grey on the GC today with rain and possible thunderstorms forecast - does a day like this keep crowds away?

I went to WNW today and it was raining... it wasn't too cold or wet (go figure). It wasn't dead, there were a few people in lines but definitely less than a regular day. WhiteWater World was dead.

I went to WNW today and it was raining... it wasn't too cold or wet (go figure). It wasn't dead, there were a few people in lines but definitely less than a regular day. WhiteWater World was dead.

I'm curious, are you manually linking to the WNW page and the WhiteWaterWorld pages, or is this new functionality doing that automatically?

Edit: ok, so it's manual. Damn - I thought that'd be a great feature!

Edited by AlexB

NIck, it's funny you say that there was a few people at Wet N Wild because it was actually pretty much dead on Saturday when I was there. (Good weather day) Max 10min queues, Mach 5, Surfrider and AquaLoop walk on all day.

Also I noticed from the Mach 5 Tower that a strange wall made to look like a cliff face is being built on the back wall of Sound Stage 7 Facing Wet N Wild.

7RQyP.jpg