I'm heading back to Movie World!

Mort

So I'm heading back to Movie World for a Day next Friday and am really looking forward to it!

I'm from Melbourne and only get to go once every two years or so.

I'm interested to see how i enjoy my former favourite park in the world (has been over taken by DInseyland) after going to Disneyland. I actually using this trip to Movie World as a kind of filler before i go back to Disneyland to do a proper 5 day trip at the parks opposed to the 2 days i did last time.

Might head over to Sea World as well to check out storm coaster and let the Mrs. look at the penguins for 5 hours <_<

Anyone got any advice on how busy MW will be on the Friday?

Also, now that Gotham City Cafe is closed, where is the best place to get some grub?

I don't imagine MW will be too busy, however there is always the weekday busloads of tourists.

As for eats - when it's open, my preference is the outlet in the Wild West. Since they updated their menu, it's the only place I like to go (however since it's nearly always closed except on busy days - it means I don't eat in the park as often as i'd use to). TBH those two places are probably the two 'MAJOR' outlets in the park, so if GCC is closed, my expectation would be that the Wild West (Burgers?) outlet would be open.

Was there today and got food from the Wild West Roadhouse I believe it's called and much preferred it to the Gotham Cafe food selection.

And yeah you'll have no problem getting through all the rides as did the full circuit of rides in about an hour and a half and then went for several more rounds on my favourites as was practically walk up on certain rides during the day

ok so looking at extended fore3casts, Friday COULD be pretty average weather.

we fly into GC airport at 1030 on thte thursday and are hiring a car, could probably be at MW by 1130.

THat gies us 5.5 hours in the park, do you guys think this will be enough to get SE, AA, GL, JL, SDSC and WW done as well as doing SE and AA one or two more times as well as maybe SDSC another. Might also see Stunt Driver depending on time

ok so looking at extended fore3casts, Friday COULD be pretty average weather.

we fly into GC airport at 1030 on thte thursday and are hiring a car, could probably be at MW by 1130.

THat gies us 5.5 hours in the park, do you guys think this will be enough to get SE, AA, GL, JL, SDSC and WW done as well as doing SE and AA one or two more times as well as maybe SDSC another. Might also see Stunt Driver depending on time

Yeah I think you definitely do that. It just depends on how busy the park is, which I don't think it will be.

When I have a pass, I usually get to MW for opening time and stay until lunch time and then go home. I usually can go on all the major rides. This is the order I usually go on them:

Arkham Asylum

Superman Escape

Scooby-Doo

Wild West Falls

Batwing Spaceshot

Green Lantern

Justice League

And then sometimes I'll watch HSD or the 4D show.

You'll have time for everything, and loads of time to spare.

I went by myself once, with the sole purpose to do a rides marathon. I managed to ride everything in the first 2 hours, and it wasn't exactly a quiet day.

You'll have no trouble, make sure to check out Hollywood Stunt Driver 2 and tell us what you think.

THat gies us 5.5 hours in the park,

I wouldn't rely on that estimate - 10:30 landing means you'll typically have your bags and be out of the terminal by 11. After paperwork and the usual crap, you'll probably be in your rental car by 11:30. I'd say you won't be entering the park before 12:30.

Nah don't have any checked baggage. So will be at the rental car booth straight away.

I'd say we'd easily be out of the airport in 30 mins max

Also it's only 30 mins to the park from the airport according to google maps

Edited by Mort

I went there on the 10th of March.

I hadn't been back in 12 years and all I can say it was total CRAP! MW was the theme park I had my heart set on seeing again. When I went there in 2002, it had so many characters walking around from classic characters like Gizmo, Bonnie and Clyde etc to the then current characters of Austin Powers and wizard and witch of Harry Potter who loved chatting to the guests and played upon their characters so well. Even Looney Tunes characters. It made you feel fantastic.

The main street looked like it was Pacific Fair with not many good shops to go to. I recall going to the Harry Potter store and seeing so much Harry Potter merch from Broom sticks to wallets. Went in there in 2014 no sign of Harry Potter just the room's decorations and some fantasy stuff you can get at New Age stores.

Wild West looked like it needed some love, I didn't understand why the Wild West show was just a panto in front of a mural. What happened to the Wild West arena?

All I can say is I really tried to get in the spirit of falling in love with this place again like I did when I was 18 but it didn't really have the same attraction. I did go on the rides and I really did like Superman. I had my heart in my throat the whole time lol.

When the afternoon characters came out for the parade I thought certain characters only wanted to be there to entertain the kids and not adults. I am 30 and a big kid at heart, the only characters who seemed to stay in character was Velma, Freddie and I got to shake Batman's hand. That made me super happy but as for the others Super Woman, Cat Woman, Joker's female companion (sorry I don't know her name) walked passed the adults with a certain up turned nose. They didn't even offer to high-five. I was pretty disappointed.

I would have loved to have a picture with Daffy Duck to add to first photo taken with him 20 years ago. However there was no chance of that.

I see on their Facebook page MW is having a 20s inspired Gatsby show. So who knows. I used to love this theme park and thought of it often but it was sad to see it is now DC superheroes and Looney Tunes characters not really the MOVIE Experience any more.

I went there on the 10th of March.

I hadn't been back in 12 years and all I can say it was total CRAP! MW was the theme park I had my heart set on seeing again. When I went there in 2002, it had so many characters walking around from classic characters like Gizmo, Bonnie and Clyde etc to the then current characters of Austin Powers and wizard and witch of Harry Potter who loved chatting to the guests and played upon their characters so well. Even Looney Tunes characters. It made you feel fantastic.

The main street looked like it was Pacific Fair with not many good shops to go to. I recall going to the Harry Potter store and seeing so much Harry Potter merch from Broom sticks to wallets. Went in there in 2014 no sign of Harry Potter just the room's decorations and some fantasy stuff you can get at New Age stores.

Wild West looked like it needed some love, I didn't understand why the Wild West show was just a panto in front of a mural. What happened to the Wild West arena?

All I can say is I really tried to get in the spirit of falling in love with this place again like I did when I was 18 but it didn't really have the same attraction. I did go on the rides and I really did like Superman. I had my heart in my throat the whole time lol.

When the afternoon characters came out for the parade I thought certain characters only wanted to be there to entertain the kids and not adults. I am 30 and a big kid at heart, the only characters who seemed to stay in character was Velma, Freddie and I got to shake Batman's hand. That made me super happy but as for the others Super Woman, Cat Woman, Joker's female companion (sorry I don't know her name) walked passed the adults with a certain up turned nose. They didn't even offer to high-five. I was pretty disappointed.

I would have loved to have a picture with Daffy Duck to add to first photo taken with him 20 years ago. However there was no chance of that.

I see on their Facebook page MW is having a 20s inspired Gatsby show. So who knows. I used to love this theme park and thought of it often but it was sad to see it is now DC superheroes and Looney Tunes characters not really the MOVIE Experience any more.

Her name is Harley Quinn and this has been noted several times before, that its loosing what i had those years ago.

Managed to pop into MW today for an hour during an overnight visit to the GC... walk ons on most rides. Few things I noticed (pre apologies for the rushed post)

- Very, very limited food options after 3PM. Totally recognise that it's likely not worth them keeping an outlet open but wow, those premade Caesar salad wraps and schnitzel rolls (basically the only meal option in the park at that time) are horrible.

- No sound or music in the town area on WWF. Have to say though that even in December when the sound was working it still seems a little too quiet. Think adding a standard western track playing throughout this area could really sell that part of the ride more.

- Scooby's laser room still sucks. Very very dark. Music sounds like it's playing out of a blown speaker in the corner. And only 1 green laser. Why not invest some money, laser the hell out of that room and sell it as Scooby 2.0? Use to be a really unique part of the ride, now it's just a standard mouse in a black box with some music.

Although MW has some great rides, Without a doubt the best in Australia, I agree that the "magic" is almost gone. It's like they're hanging onto the 'Movie World' name to ensure the bus loads of tourists, even though there are very little movie related attractions.

While I agree with the comment that the "magic" is almost gone, the idea that there are very little movie related attractions is dependant on your definition of movie related...

Take the word related... Being connected; associated. So the Batwing Spaceshot, although based simply on Batman is movie related due to being connected/associated with Batman... Forgetting the fact that the Batwing looks nothing like the graphic on the ride and it only appeared in one movie for about 5 minutes, it is still related...

So, keeping that in mind...

Green Lantern, Batwing Spaceshot, Superman Escape, Arkham Asylum, Scooby Doo are all movie related...

WB Kids area could be movie related but with Looney Tunes being such a big part of WB that needs no discussion...

Wild West Falls, when the video played, was based on the old backlots of western movies where the ghosts still reside...

The shows and performers in Main Street are all movie related...

Edited by Wyncenuros