What would you like to see at Gold Coast Theme Parks soon?

Santa07

I keep saying it... Vekoma Mad House.

We've seen how awesome they can be when some right (Hex) and we don't have one in Australia.

Use the show stage building and theme it to yes some sort of haunted attraction.

High capacity, family friendly, no noise.

That is actually an awesome idea. It would really suit movieworld. And they could turn it into a wild west/ghost attraction, that would be cool AND kinda go with scooby doo as well as wwf. Well not really. But kind of.

A Phantom/Haunted Manor style ride would be good IMO. It's different enough to SDSC, and it could fit in a smaller, more compact area if you wanted to.

I would love to see something like this in either MW/DW in the western/mining themed areas. I reckon around 10-15 mil could build a really good immersive haunted style dark ride that could be rich in theme and ideal for a broad demographic.

Without offering physical thrills, such an attraction could terrify it's audience by using a suite of sound, lighting and visual gags to really involve and 'isolate' riders.

Naturally, MW would do it better but DW COULD do it better and possibly NEED it more..But would they? Yeah, not any time soon whilst a bank owns it. Such a ride would be a perfect complement to the Gold Rush Country area perhaps the Riverboat island?

Edited by MickeyD

^he's right you know....

Several banks do...

http://clients.weblink.com.au/clients/ardentleisure/article.asp?view=2789282

http://au.investsmart.com.au/shares/asx/ARDENT-LEISURE-GROUP-AAD.asp

http://clients.weblink.com.au/clients/ardentleisure/article.asp?view=2758889

Major shareholders include the following banks:

• NAB
  • Westpac
  • HSBC
  • ANZ
  • Citicorp

(By association, Westpac also includes CBA and St George Bank as associated companies)

Although not a 'bank' as such, other major shareholders (either now or in the past 6-12 months) include:

• BT investment management (associated to Westpac)
  • MLC
  • AMP
  • Navigator Australia
  • Asgard Capital Management
  • The Eley Griffiths Group (which is a boutique funds manager) is also a major shareholder

Hilariously enough, the responsible entity behind the Eley Griffiths Fusion Fund is Macquarie Financial Products Management Limited

http://static.macquarie.com/dafiles/Internet/mgl/au/mfg/docs/financial-statements/2013/Fusion_Fund_-_Eley_Griffiths_Group_Small_Companies_Fund_2013.PDF?v=2

And Eley Griffiths appears to be the 3rd largest shareholder - so Macquare still have a substantial finger in the pie.

*Disclaimer - all of this information has been obtained through publicly available sources and i've tried to link as much of what I found as I could to demonstrate it. The very nature of shares and share trading means some of the entities listed may not be shareholders of AAD, ALT, ALL or ALML at this very minute, or their stock holdings may have increased reduced.. Information sourced only from the past 12 months. But it could still be wrong.

Yup, so you're saying not worth the investment? It can't be all about coasters and thrill rided surely?

Sadly enough - it is. Take a look at our reactions to the coming attractions last year - Storm Coaster - vs. Laser Skirmish. We ourselves are always lobbying for the next great coaster or thriller and aren't so phased by the rest - and thats really indicative of the public view too - the payoff for Pandamonium (great ride as it is) wasn't really worth it as a whole - whereas a new coaster would have had everyone flocking to the gates.

Sadly it's all about 'bang for your buck' these days and no longer about the experiences... I'm sure though - that if they think hard enough and consider that LTRR ran for 2 decades, PASS about 15 years, Batman adventure (with an update) around the same period, and bermuda made close to 15 years also... they might one day see the worth in putting in a low-thrill, high experience attraction again... one can dream.

Edited by AlexB

Coasters do capture the public agitation true, but I remember a lot of excitement from us about Justice League too. Plus when it comes to Storm, when you look at it, it's a major family ride, built in what was the decaying heart of the park. Of course it's going to be more appealing to talk about than a laser skirmish that's replacing another laser skirmish. TBH, I'm surprised people went as nuts for that thing as they did.

AlexB - I knew someone would mention institutional shareholders. I think it's quite obvious he was referring to Macquarie.

Well being Macquarie bowed out over 5 years ago from 'frontline' management of the park, only those who have been following the industry that long would see it as obvious.

That said - as I pointed out - Eley Griffiths is the third largest shareholder, and Macquarie is responsible for that entire investment.

But - in my view - you were right (my opening sentence) - because 'A' bank doesn't own Dreamworld.... 'Several' banks do.

Joz - Agree we went bananas over JL3d, but it has met lukewarm reception at best. It isn't as obvious as Batman was - many don't even realise it's there until they look on a map. The approach to JL has a giant green lantern in the middle of the path, so it doesn't really seem like theres anything else down that end...

it is however a Quality Attraction... and for that - yes, go bananas... but what the park needs are some good filler flats, and sadly they won't do that, simply because it won't draw the crowds to boost attendance - which is what they want, and need, year after year.

• 5 months later...

Here are some things that need improving/ new rides at theme parks:

Movie World: Add a indoor ride in the ark ham asylum area, that would be pretty cool. Also do something about Chinatown alley, like mentioned. Do a studio tour, attracts more tourists. Add maybe a drop tower in the middle of superman (or Doomsday) Or add a upside down track in superman, awesome. I know a lot but those are some things I would love to see.

Sea World: Do something with the sea viper area! Continue making Wild if still true. Improve the water park or get rid of it if not used and add a mega attraction there. Improve flume ride like replace cars and structures like the castle, station and add theme!

Wet N Wild: Wet N Wild need a huge water slide like the bombora at wet n wild Sydney. That's all

Dream world; Need a make over!

White Water World: Expand and make more slides

That's my opinions

Having now (finally) found myself in a position where I can actually relocate to the Gold Coast (as soon as I find a decent job there), here are some of the main things I'd love to see:

SEA WORLD:

- Bring the monorail back up to the standard it was at 5 years ago, with minimum of 2 trains running at all times, and 3 when it's busy, and with audio playing inside the cabins.

- Replace the chairlifts with new, modern ones which don't have to stop half way along, and which would therefore result in much less queuing and less downtime.

- Build a major new dark ride where Sea Viper was, and give it a sea-related, fully immersive theme, along the lines of what Bermuda Triangle was, but better!

MOVIE WORLD:

- Upgrade Roxy Theatre into a 7D cinema.

- Re-work the new Hollywood Stunt Driver show, to make the story and themeing make more sense. If they can't do that, just bring back the original version of the show.

WET & WILD:

- Upgrade main pathways to make them comfortable to walk on in hot weather. Either by adding shade over them, or resurfacing them with something that doesn't get so hot.

- Change the lockers as follows. Instead of having to go to one of the shops, wait for ages for people in front of you, then pay $10 for a wristband regardless how long you will be there, have credit card paywave-type scanners at each bank of lockers. You simply wave your card over it, and it prints out a wristband. You can re-enter your locker as many times as you want, and are not charged until you end your locker hire. $1 per hour or part thereof seems more reasonable to me. Maximum charge of say $50 as a penalty for anyone who doesn't end their locker hire by one hour after closing time (and of course the contents would be removed to lost property).

DREAMWORLD / WHITEWATER WORLD (I haven't been often enough to have a strong opinion, except that most of the rides look like they belong in fairgrounds not theme parks. They desperately need more actual theme park rides, with proper themeing.

ALL THE PARKS:

- Scrap fast track tickets

- Implement Q4U or a similar virtual queueing system, but for everyone and at no additional charge. That way, instead of wasting half their day in queues, everyone can spend a lot more time actually on rides!

- In summer, and during school holidays, open all parks till at least 6pm.

- Invest in much better quality food options at all parks, probably best achieved by awarding the job to suitably qualified tenderers.

Edited by pushbutton

One other thing I'd add to my comments above, is that the prices they're currently charging for annual passes are far too low.

I'd much rather pay a lot more for my annual pass, but know that everything is included and there's absolutely no extra charges like locker hire and fast track.

Having said that, a modest fee for lockers is ok as there's only so many lockers and it would prevent lockers being taken by people who have actually left the park. $1 per hour as I detailed above.

I believe the VIP passes should be valid from when you buy them for one year, which would avoid the big rush for everyone to buy them in July, as well as making it much fairer as currently you pay the same to get a VIP pass in May (valid for 1 month) as you do in July when it's valid for a year!

I think sensible prices for an annual VIP pass would be something like below, and the extra cash could be used to reduce the extra charges I mentioned above, and to invest in new rides and park upgrades.

To keep it simple, all prices should include special themed nights:

Adult = $250

1st related child under 16 (when bought with an adult pass) = $200

2nd and subsequent related child under 16 = $150

Children under 5 = $70 each

I believe these prices would still represent unbelievably good value!

^ They already sell annual passes which last a year from the purchase date. They probably get more money selling VIP passes like they do than they would selling them like you suggested with your suggested prices. Whilst you may buy passes which cost that much, I doubt many other people would, even if they covered extra charges etc.

Instead of raising the price of the VIP pass (which they will never do) I would much rather see them put together a premium VIP pass. Things such as park wide discounts, multiple free redemptions to events (or just a free season pass), and maybe include the Season Dinning Pass in it. That would probably be more reasonable then upping the price of their most popular ticketing option.

I find what the Dreamworld Unlimited World Pass offers is much better. You get discounts tickets for friends (10% and then 50% during your birthday month), discount on food, drinks, in the shops, Big Brother Tickets, ride photos and on the flowrider. Passes are $90 for children and $110 for adults. Which lasts until Christmas Eve next year. Right now the VIP passes are $100 each and you don't get the discounts. So I don't think they should increase the prices. I think maybe the VIP Gold Pass should include these type of benefits.

VIP pass is getting you 3 parks, and after hours events.

World pass doesn't give u Screamworld access.

Both are well under-valued, especially the VIP pass, but they have set the tone in the past 5 years which means a marked increase wouldn't be accepted by the market. 8 years ago when I moved to the GC, the VIP passes were $220 and that was before the night events existed. I happily paid it, and still would.

I personally think they could raise to $120 and $150 for VIP gold and avoid a large decline in uptake if they installed the buy 3 get 1 free permanently

VIP pass is getting you 3 parks, and after hours events.

World pass doesn't give u Screamworld access.

Incorrect. If you redeemed your world pass by a particular date earlier this year you got a free ticket to Screamworld. Only being open to that offer (0 tickets sold), that night was walkons for literally everything. Great value!

Instead of raising the price of the VIP pass (which they will never do) I would much rather see them put together a premium VIP pass. Things such as park wide discounts, multiple free redemptions to events (or just a free season pass), and maybe include the Season Dinning Pass in it. That would probably be more reasonable then upping the price of their most popular ticketing option.

I find it hard to believe that they will never increase the price of their passes. Even Disneyland had to increase the cost of theirs to eliminate overcrowding and their maximum pass is over $1000.

http://deadline.com/2014/05/disneyland-raises-ticket-prices-socal-passes-732752/#

Adventure World's season pass retails for around $145-$160, which means it pays for itself in around three visits. I was also surprised by how cheap and nasty the passes actually are for the Gold Coast parks. It's clever technology, but not pretty.