Fire Effects on Storm Coaster

westical

Finally got to ride Storm Coaster yesterday after an aborted attempt a few months ago when it was closed. I've avoided this thread since the ride opened so that I wouldn't get spoiled, although I knew what the outside parts looked like from the last visit (eg. mist head cutter).

It's a fun (short) ride, I'd probably prefer that they explored the storm theme further with a larger indoor section rather than built the theme around an existing coaster, but I'm more a dark ride type of guy.

Next time I'll pay more attention to which side is the entry after nearly spoiling myself walking half way up the exit.

There was no fire, although I forgot there was meant to be any until reading this thread. I don't remember the ride stopping for the water dump, it started before we reached it and even though I was on the right all I got was a bit of spray and a few more drops to add to the splashdown.

I kind of wish all the theming was a bit closer to the boat, but I guess the fire effects prevent that. If they even turn them on.

I nearly got caught out by the splash in the viewing area, sneaky Sea World.

I only rode BT once or twice just before it closed so I don't have fond memories like some, but I'd likely take a fully operational BT over SC. Still enjoyed it though.

I kind of wish all the theming was a bit closer to the boat, but I guess the fire effects prevent that. If they even turn them on.

I agree with you on that one. It would be good if they had some of the theming closer to the boats. It doesn't matter if there is or isn't fire on, there could still be parts of theming that doesn't need fire.

Something I noticed on the tv advert was the fire effects. I don't know if this was recorded in from inside the ride or not (I think it is), but it would seem that the gasolines are all there and connection, they just aren't turned on. Maybe it is just issues with the council.

(fire effect is 15 seconds in)

Edited by themagician

I am disappointed then. Yes I do think that Storm Coaster is a good ride, but it would have been even better if they had the fire effects. When they first announced that this ride would be coming soon they said it would have amazing water and fire effects. Well we have good water effects outside, just before the final splash down. We have the dump bucket that doesn't entirely get you depending on where you are sat. And no fire effects. Storm is a good ride, which pretty good theming, but it would be better if they had these extra things, especially since the inside section of the ride isn't very big.

I don't believe fire will ever be a part of that show experience. I've a feeling the lines that are there are for other things.

Despite the 'artistic flair' in the advertising, I don't think they ever planned 'flames'... just 'heat'.

They should probably change their website then -

Hold on tight as you face a 20 metre wave on dry land. Can you brave an extraordinary fire while drenched in water?

Not that I remember a 20 metre wave.

I don't believe fire will ever be a part of that show experience. I've a feeling the lines that are there are for other things.

Despite the 'artistic flair' in the advertising, I don't think they ever planned 'flames'... just 'heat'.

I think you are wrong about that. Flames were certainly planned - they just weren't ever delivered for whatever reason. Didn't we decide it had something to do with safety around commissioning?

Take it how you like it. I've got it on reasonable authority that flames were never part of the plan - just heat to simulate it.

I agree it doesn't concur with the advertising and pre-opening discussions, (if you read my comments previously you'll see i felt the same) but i've since learned new info which makes me believe otherwise....

Who knows? As was mentioned recently - parks give very little forethought to maintaining their special effects. I'm sure the gas line for Bermuda was a costly effect, and whilst it was disabled (from what we know) to permit construction of Jet Rescue, the reasons cited by the park included environmental ones. This may be a deciding factor here also.

My source on this isn't concrete, but it's never been wrong before. There can always be a first time - but as it stands now, I don't think we're going to see fire (and to clarify - fire on a TV monitor doesn't count). We may get it down the track if someone decides to change their mind but I don't think we'll see it anytime soon. I'm happy to be wrong on this because I think the fire effects would complete the coaster and give it that little extra 'wow' after the splashdown (and also assist in warming you up now that you're soaked and freezing).

Apart from that, the previously agreed upon decision 'that they were waiting until after holidays' came and went at the start of february. It's been three months. A whole school term has passed... and if it was held up by council there would be records that would show this (and even councils wouldn't be dragging this much when the rest of the installation was signed off in december.

Im probably a bit late to add my 10 cents here but better late than never hey?

In case you don't agree with AlexB and others, I suggest you start focusing on something else to get your hopes up on kiddies - there aint no fire comin to this here Storm. Aint nobody got time for that! - well at least I gravely doubt VTP do so best you all get over it hehe

My rationale requires a quick history lesson peeps (spoilers):

● prior to opening PASS was to have a huge (80-100ft high) city skyline back drop -dramatic aesthetically but also highly functional sound barrier. Never happened

● LTRR was destined for a thrilling finale promising to take riders up to unimaginable heights before plunging into a thrilling splash down. Result, well NOT quite. Shame about the booster motors (like coasters have) these bad boys barely lasted a few months but added a much needed push and thrill to the finale. I would be very surprised if anyone here ever knew about these existing

● Roxy Theatre was meant to be sloped and with automatically operating doors (didn't even get them from bat ride/MM hand be downs. Never will either

● Batride was planned for an interactive passenger sequence and an 'airport style' boarding gate as well as the anility to alternate cycles. Somewhat costly and ineffective - especially when a very big part of the rides system was produced by Sony - cutting edge technology featuring LP sized disc players and 2 x $40k+ prototype image and sound filtering amplifiers. - custom made units that saved the road outside from being moved a metre toward the lagoon, for a larger building to accommodate motion bases that would have to be about a metre longer, otherwise with screens just too close to their audience to be clear! Smart and saved a fortune to be sure!

● WWF was originally planned for a dazzling suite of special effects, animatronics, thrilling scenes such as explosions waterfalls blocking every path, an actual train derailing as you narrowly pass under, cheeky critters at every turn and a really dramatic mine exploding finale! There was a time I had the original 'blue sky' plans, shame the mountain facade and landscaping blew the budget coz another 5 mil would have gone a looooong way, but was it necessary?

● scooby was meant to feature a haunted castle in the laser area - all fully enclosed walls around the track but still no floor so you couldn't see around corners! Shame the dark ride part didn't at least get a roof or at the very least, maintenance/operations leaving maintenence lights on during show mode grrr

Point is EVERY SINGLE MAJOR NEW ATTRACTION IS ALWAYS PLANNED TO BE BIGGER AND MORE SPECTACULAR. EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Sadly the reality of 'budget' kicks in and we wind up getting what they actually paid for. I must say this was a grave reality which over the years, the few of us that truly cared and worked so close to the magic came to accept after a while.

Never changed, sadly never will. We aint Disneyland and never will be. No matter how hard they try. I think as enthusiasts it's best to just appreciate the 'opening day' versions as the best version that you're ever likely gunna get.. any improvement further on should be celebrated as an absolute bonus, albeit doubtful

Nonetheless peeps I do fear that the big 'WoW' moments in our new rides are sadly in the history books. I guess they have found out that the general public just don't care enough about that kind of shit, so perhaps it's the 1st thing to go

I emailed them and they said this:

Unfortunately the effect of fire has not been commissioned for the Storm Coaster; regrettably it was not known it would not be in effect until after the television ad was made. Sorry to cause you any disappointment. The idea of fire has not been completely ruled at this stage so feel free to contact us again in the future for any updates.