2014 In Dreamworld - Tail Spin construction, Wipeout refurbishment, Triple Vortex construction

I think that a Star Flyer will be a good addition to the park and will fit well in that area. The thing is though, on the sign it says opening in September (so it will be most likely opening for the school holidays). It is now May. They have got to get rid of the Reef Diver (I would say it will be gone by the end of the month) and then they only have 4 months before it opens. What ever it is, it isn't going to a something that isn't to complicated to build in a short time. So if it is a star flyer, this could be done.

My bets for the make over is on either the cyclone, or river rapids.

I am trying to think which ride, other than the Wipeout, could have a "major makeover", that would result in Dreamworld getting a good return on investment.

I don't think there is much you could do to Thunder River Rapids really. Yes you could re-do the ride system and/or restore some of the scenes (animatronics etc), but to most people, they wouldn't notice the difference. I could put up similar reasoning as to why the Cyclone wouldn't be a candidate as well if the train was replaced or an additional train purchased. Even if the Cyclone was re-branded I still don't think the majority of people would realise/care (e.g. people still referring to Lethal Weapon and Corkscrew after their trains got replaced). Also, I'd rule out the cinema, because it only went through an upgrade a couple of years back to convert the IMAX screen to digital, and it would be a stretch to call it a major attraction at the current time.

This leaves me with an idea for the Giant Drop. I wonder if potentially Intamin would be able to come in and retrofit Falcon's Fury-style gondolas to the tower? For those that don't know Falcon's Fury is a drop tower which features gondolas that face down during the drop. Similar to the TOT2 refurb a few years back, I think this would definitely capture the interests of many more people than the aforementioned candidates for makeovers. Cost might be a factor in prohibiting something like this from happening though.

Also, AlexB, in a quick check of the Gold Coast City Council's website I couldn't find any relevant planning documents.

As I said in my intial post, cost could be a prohibiting factor. I have no idea whether it is possible or not. The circular gondola of Falcon's Fury might be required to distribute the load rather than just being a capacity/design decision, making such a transformation impossible on the Giant Drop.

It's amazing, such a classy sign to match the height requirement one beside it.

"Get the laminator, we've got a new ride to promote!"

So looks like it's another spin and spew flat ride to replace Reef Diver. You know, I'm sure whatever it is it'll be cool, but I just don't care. I mean another flat ride? I can see the conversation in the boardroom now: 'So this year, we still aren't going to replace the Chairlift, Captain Sturt, Blue Lagoon or Eureka with anything, but my god we can't have less flat ride, all our budget this year on replacing a flat ride!'

The irony is that if they levelled the land that reef diver sat on and just turned the area into a pleasant outdoor plaza, it really wouldn't be bad for the park, and they could invest some effort into bringing some life to one of the many neglected parts of the park. Hell, you could put a flat ride inside the Eureka facade, theme it to some crazy piece of mine equipment, and give it some special effects, and in the process end up with a new flat ride which the park loves so much, a revitalised Goldrush and a ride that could be something truly special. But no, apparently that's not the priority. The priority is to keep as much of the same sort of thing in one corner of the park as we can. Yeah, I don't care. Wake me up if the 2nd refurbishment ends up being something good.

"Get the laminator, we've got a new ride to promote!"

So looks like it's another spin and spew flat ride to replace Reef Diver. You know, I'm sure whatever it is it'll be cool, but I just don't care. I mean another flat ride? I can see the conversation in the boardroom now: 'So this year, we still aren't going to replace the Chairlift, Captain Sturt, Blue Lagoon or Eureka with anything, but my god we can't have less flat ride, all our budget this year on replacing a flat ride!'

The irony is that if they levelled the land that reef diver sat on and just turned the area into a pleasant outdoor plaza, it really wouldn't be bad for the park, and they could invest some effort into bringing some life to one of the many neglected parts of the park. Hell, you could put a flat ride inside the Eureka facade, theme it to some crazy piece of mine equipment, and give it some special effects, and in the process end up with a new flat ride which the park loves so much, a revitalised Goldrush and a ride that could be something truly special. But no, apparently that's not the priority. The priority is to keep as much of the same sort of thing in one corner of the park as we can. Yeah, I don't care. Wake me up if the 2nd refurbishment ends up being something good.

^^ YES TO THIS - all of it!! Great post joz and probably sums up, perfectly, what we are all thinking, and have been thinking for a very long time

Looks like we might have know when the replacement for Reef Diver will open thanks to this picture It's due to open in September attachicon.gifimage.jpg Spread The News..

It seems like I've heard this before. Ah, that's right:

Would replacing the eureka ride count as a makeover because its the same spot and look just a new refreshed version.

I guess it would... but Dreamworld would probably say 'Big 9&10 thrill rides coming soon', unless they're gonna replace it with a kiddie coaster which would be silly. With the starflyer idea, would it be extreme enough to count as a big 9 ride?

I don't think there is much you could do to Thunder River Rapids really. Yes you could re-do the ride system and/or restore some of the scenes (animatronics etc), but to most people, they wouldn't notice the difference.

As far as I know, Thunder River has the highest ridership of all their rides so I think it is worth the love.

As for what you could do with it....Simple...more fountains and water effects, as well as adding more logs to create some good waves. A catchy updated name and some more theming, and you are all set!

Edited by Gazza

I wonder what number we'll get to where the naming of the "Big x Thrill Rides" list seems ridiculous. I remember when I was about 7 and the whole idea of the "Big 5" was so intimidating. The more rides that are added to that list, the less exciting the list gets.

Edited by alex_1

The Mushroom Ride(aka Log Ride) is so very old and poorly themed could also use some love. As well as the Drive Around A Tin Shed Ride (Vintage Cars) with no theme at all.

At least whatever ever the Big 9th thrill ride is it will be better than Reef Diver. Unlike Movie Worlds and Sea Worlds latest ride replacements being worse that the predecessors (Storm Coaster < Bermuda Triangle, Batman Adventure > Justice League)