Adventure World 2015 - 'Mi2' Kraken Tornado slide

Tim Dasco

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good question: I think their figures will tell you that they had a large bump last season. Everyone was eager to get their first ride on Abyss, especially at last year's Fright Nights. It will be interesting to see how that compares with this weekend. I think people are still talking about it. The park can be really packed on its busy days (read: hot weather), although I don't think they are as consistent as the big parks on the Gold Coast. They also do big corporate gigs, often on Sundays. There were a number of times last year, where I'd try and sneak a few rides on Abyss on a Sunday morning and come up against a mass body of corporate families. Abyss handles the crowds pretty well, other rides not so much.

Hi guys

its been interesting reading your posts over the past year or so, especially during the teaser campaign for Abyss. it was really useful to get feedback from all of you especially given that you are theme park enthusiasts and therefore the most engaged and vociferous of theme park visitors.

I'm a theme park junkie too believe it or not so I thought I'd register and from time to time I will respond to questions or comments.

Just to pick up on a couple of recent themes, our Fright nights event was a huge success this year with attendances exceeding 30% growth YOY despite last years event coinciding with the launch of Abyss. Secondly attendances and Season pass sales are significantly up again this year (so far) following on from a big growth in attendances last year.

We have some more changes coming in the next few weeks which I might reveal to you just prior to the events going live to the public including the progress on MI2.

I would like to thank you all on behalf of the team at AW for your interest and feedback. AW is a work in progress project as far as I am concerned and will continue to improve and grow in the future.

Have an AWesome day!!

Mark

Hi Mark,

Just wondering is the Chair lift back up and running and the Freefall.

Thanks and welcome to Parkz!

*Can we change the name of the thread from Speculation to Adventure World 2014/15 season. As the new additions have been announced and is no longer speculation.

Edited by Tim Dasco

Hi all and thanks for the welcome.

Tim, all rides and attractions are open today including chair lift and Freefall.

As for a B&M coaster.... :D... I'm a huge fan since my days with Merlin however these coasters come with a big price tag that requires a sizable population to support it. Perth is not big enough to provide the return on investment required for a $20m+ coaster at the moment sadly. One day!

I'm off to the annual IAAPA convention next week to look at new products and general benchmarking/networking which should be interesting and fun.

MI2 contract is 99% complete as of this morning and should be signed off before I leave. I cannot tell you what it is but I might drop some hints shortly. I can tell you we have already landed on a name and a theme and will commence work on the ground around March/April all going to plan.

New TVC shoot this Sunday/Monday.

Have an Awesome day!

Mark

Great news!! I echo everyone else's sentiments in welcoming you to the boards!! Looking forward to the unique insights that your position can bring to these boards. Brilliant!

Whilst I have also never been to Adventure World, let me congratulate you on how the park is progressing and evolving under your leadership. It's a joy to see!! Our local industry needs more people with vision like yourself and the industry needs to grow beyond the "big 3" on the Gold Coast. You and Adventure World are definitely leading the way in this regard.

With the advent of Abyss, I am now actively looking to visit Adventure World for the first time and I look forward to the new attraction with great interest.

Just a couple of quick questions- can we safely assume that this new attraction will be a new flat and not a coaster of some type?

What timeline would you be looking at adding a 2nd coaster to Adventure Worlds line up?

Thanks in advance!

We would love to do a second roller coaster but the answer in terms of timing would definitely not be in the next 2-3 years but sometime after and really depends on how we trade. The faster we grow the quicker we can re-invest so it really depends on people choosing to spend their leisure $$ coming to AW rather than say going to the Royal Show or Crown etc. We do have to be very creative with our budgets compared to the large companies to deliver real value. Its fun to be challenged like that though. We do have a 5 year plan but it is fluid depending on how we trade as well as external market forces.

Fright Nights is a 10 year project to get to a place we are maximising its value and putting on a great show. we are at year 4 now and growing it at a rate in line with that plan. In a few years time, once we've established that event we will probably introduce a NYE event but no guarantees. How we wish we could do everything NOW! :(

Hey Mark

With the success of Firechaser Express and Tailspin, surely you must be thinking about getting some more Gerstlauer products.

Do you see Outback Splash as competition that needs to be addressed? Are you going to try and match what they get?

And finally, any thoughts on a castle replacement?

Thanks in advance.

• Richard changed the title to Adventure World 2015 - \'Mi2\' Tornado slide