Adventure World 2015 - 'Mi2' Kraken Tornado slide

Tim Dasco

55 minutes ago, Mark Shaw said:

What do people think about a Lazy river sometime in the future? 

I think a really well themed LR would be great. But make it big enough to actually act like a transport option, not just a small stand alone attraction.

I don't think it would draw people to the park, but by theming it right could really compliment the park's recent efforts of creating a themed environment. Plus, for a thrill/water park like Adventure World, this is the perfect transport option.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great to hear about Freefall - it's a good ride when it's operating.  Some of my friends don't ride Abyss, but Freefall's not a problem at all.  Excellent view too.

If it does stay another season, I hope it gets a new paint job and some theming attention.

I have quoted Mark in the past on Facebook, but if he says not to, I don't.  Also, if I have any grievances at the park, I'll only post them here.  

I've always wondered about a Lazy River at AW; more specifically where it would go.  I light of the pedal boats going, a LR could go around the castle with a tunnel going into the hill.  Also a LR would have a big capacity relieving the strain on the rest of the park.  

Perhaps the middle of the lake could be filled in to accomodate other attractions.  Big wheel, carousel, etc.   That said, I did previously mention that the castle lake would make a good log flume. So I need to make my mind up.

I'm in the minority when I say forget lazy river for transport. 

Saying that I would say I'm also in the minority that I've also been to parks who use one for such. 

It sounds great on paper but in reality it's impractical. So many people take their towel with them around a water park. How do you keep it dry on a lazy river? I know splash cash type money systems are getting better use but people often take their wallet to buy food so that's out too. 

They just don't really work. 

Build yourself a nice area, lagoon section at WnW Gold Coast is great. Have a kick ass huge crowd soaking lazy river that's pleasant to spend a while in. 

I'm also a big fan of a beverage outlet in a nice landscaped area like this, if you can license it even better. Parents love a place to hang out while the kids go ride. This is the perfect area for that. 

Yeah @djrappa

Adventure World pretty much has that covered. They've got that massive pool, which is the perfect place to cool off on an afternoon and the Kahuna Falls water playground. Next to that is the main cafe area, which is licensed, and has plenty of seating. I wouldn't think many people would take their towels with them. You tend to get a locker, cabana or a patch of grass and base yourself from there.

I suppose for me the question is: is the lazy river MI-3 or is it an addition, say with the Kidz Tornado they might get next year? I like the idea of a lazy river - they're family friendly and have a large capacity, but I'd also like to see more dry rides.

Edited by iwerks

1 hour ago, Mark Shaw said:

Anyone got a spare $10m they want to donate?

Considering how many members are on Parkz, if every single one of them donated $1500, we could form a consortium to buy a ride for you. Of course, we'd need naming rights, and free entry for life, and we'd need you to move the park to the gold coast where the majority of our members are so we could go anytime we wanted without arduous plane journeys...

And then we'd all have to agree on what type of ride... I never realised you could get a dark monorail walkthrough B&M Standup Hyper Dive woodie flume waterslide for $10m though...

My 2c..

Lazy river is a great idea, personally would like nothing better than relaxing and floating along a river. Would need to be shaded appropriately, could even have some small rapids.

I can't see it working so much as a transport system, as others have said its just not practical in a park where you have a mix of wet and dry rides. 

I would also love to see a swim up bar as part of it for the adults. 

One thing i've noted of recent times is the closure of the smallish casual activites - things like the paddle boats and the train. Only small things, but its just another way to entertain 20 - 30 people for 10 minutes at a time.

Mark - have you ever thought about having something like the dive in movies at wet n wild? On some of the hot summer nights, it would be great to have something like this in the pool. If you positioned the screen right, you could probably have people picnicking on the grassed areas too.

I do not want a lazy river to be shaded. Maybe a spot or two, but nothing approaching even 25% of the path should be shaded.

People go to water attractions when it's hot. they should be wearing sunscreen. Shade too much of the river, and it keeps the water cold. It also means less people will use it when the weather is cooler as the sun isn't there to counteract the temperature.

I also wouldn't suggest a swim up bar in a lazy river. too many chances for accidental spillage, contaminating the entire river. Leave your swim up bar to the hotel pool. Alcohol and water shouldn't mix anyway.

2 hours ago, AlexB said:

I do not want a lazy river to be shaded. Maybe a spot or two, but nothing approaching even 25% of the path should be shaded.

People go to water attractions when it's hot. they should be wearing sunscreen. Shade too much of the river, and it keeps the water cold. It also means less people will use it when the weather is cooler as the sun isn't there to counteract the temperature.

I also wouldn't suggest a swim up bar in a lazy river. too many chances for accidental spillage, contaminating the entire river. Leave your swim up bar to the hotel pool. Alcohol and water shouldn't mix anyway.

Yep - i agree with you to an extent RE the shade. The ideal situation would be to have part of the width covered or at points along the way to have some shade. In the heat of the perth summer you would absolutely bake in the full sun, sunscreen or not. I would anticipate the water being heated when it got cooler - otherwise it wouldn't get used as much. Maybe they could conduit the water underneath the path to the hill and circulate the cold water through it! :)

Not sure about the contamination issue - at the price of drinks people sure would be avoiding to spill anything! It would be something that would have to be controlled. Last thing you want would be drunk people everywhere, but surely there's enough sensible adults around who could enjoy a cold beer whilst floating around the river.

Thinking of the LR, AW has developed a reputation for launching the best rides in Australia, any new LR could be the best of its kind.  Including, waterfalls, water canon, jungle mist, etc.

As for donating funds, I'd insist on the chair lift being replaced to something similar to Blizzard Beach.  I wonder if any new lift in the future might qualify for a lottery west grant. Especially if it had a wheelchair facility.

Yes I think a nice mix of shade/broken sunlight with palms etc is nice. It's Perth and the sun is hot as, the ambient temp is more than enough to make the cool water pleasant with out beating sunshine on you. 

FWIW I'm a bit over the posts that go the route of "NO I PERSONALY DONT LIKE THIS SO NO ONE SHALL HAVE IT. YOU ARE ALL WRONG."

Each to their own, the park caters to a wide variety of people, not just on or two parkz members who wouldn't have even visited the park.