Adventure World 2015 - 'Mi2' Kraken Tornado slide

Tim Dasco

Went to AW late this afternoon and got caught up in the after school crowd. There was a line of people queuing to get in, outside the gift shop door, when one of the young team members had the foresight to reopen one of the ticket boxes - good thinking on her behalf.

The water is still pretty warm in the pool and on the slides and there was a good sized number of people in attendance. It wasn't crowded as you could go back up and down the water slides with no waiting. I think we've had a pretty good summer here.

Freefall is still in pieces and Abyss was a two minute wait. It was weird as people were letting themselves through the first gate, which I hadn't seen before. A couple of people tried to sneak through from the exit platform to ride again, but thankfully they were told to go back down the stairs and come up again.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 7:32 PM, grrofunger said:

@Mark Shaw Is there a new rule on the 3 biggest Kahuna Falls slides that you can no longer tandem down with toddlers under 100cm?  Have been doing it for the past 2 years (just like i do on the mat slides on water mountain) but got told this afternoon I wasn't allowed to do it?

Hi and sorry for the delay in responding. The rule has always been no tandem rides so I was surprised to hear that you had been allowed previously. This is the manufacturers recommendation and we follow these. The team have been thoroughly re-briefed on this matter so do let me know if you are allowed in future.

Mark

3 hours ago, Mark Shaw said:

Hi and sorry for the delay in responding. The rule has always been no tandem rides so I was surprised to hear that you had been allowed previously. This is the manufacturers recommendation and we follow these. The team have been thoroughly re-briefed on this matter so do let me know if you are allowed in future.

Mark

No worries on the delay and thanks for the clarification.

I was riding tandem with my toddler for the past 2 years, at least 50 times on the slides, without exaggeration, over numerous visits.

I won't bother trying now so won't be able to report back but i am sure your staff will be on top of it now after a re-briefing.

All good.

Edited by grrofunger

• 4 weeks later...

Last day of Adventure World's 2015-2016 season, today.  Despite the ridiculously bad weather forecast, lots of people turned up to enjoy the final use of their season passes.  Only the main gate was open, but they did have a person scanning prepaid online entry tickets and giving out wristbands (which is a great idea).  It was so wet at the beginning of the day, people just packed all of their belongings into lockers.  Anywhere there was shelter, people were there.  Some were dressed for winter; the rest of us were dressed for swimming, which is what I did first.

Had my final two goes of the Kraken for the season.  It was about a two minute wait time each time (and that's with one op at the top and loading two, three or four passengers at a time.  Abyss appeared to be only running one train and wait times were about ten minutes on average.  The Grand Prix Raceway didn't get started (due to the wet track, I presume) and most of the other rides alternated quite successfully.  Needless to say, the Freefall was out of action.  I hope it makes a comeback next season with a new paint job. 

The food was great, as usual, and the team members all put on a brave face, despite the wet weather. Cheers Mark, thanks for another great season.   

IMG_3299.JPG

IMG_3300.JPG

IMG_3301.JPG

IMG_3309.JPG

IMG_3315.JPG

IMG_3312.JPG

IMG_3318.JPG

IMG_3325.JPG

IMG_3330.JPG

IMG_3332.JPG

IMG_3354.JPG

IMG_3355.JPG

IMG_3358.JPG

IMG_8268.JPG

IMG_8299.JPG

IMG_8325.JPG

IMG_8316.JPG

I was also at AW today with my 2 sons and started with bacon & hot chocolate on the top deck. Real rain died off by 10:30 and we did nearly everything once with extras on Kraken & Abyss.  Early on, the go karts staff were sweeping the water off the track but around noon, we were told they wouldn't be opening.

I did smile at a couple who claimed a 'free' cabana early on only to be politely removed by a staff member as someone else has booked it.  It's been a great season and look forward to Sept 22nd.

Onwards and Upwards!

On ‎25‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 3:56 PM, iwerks said:

Last day of Adventure World's 2015-2016 season, today.  Despite the ridiculously bad weather forecast, lots of people turned up to enjoy the final use of their season passes.  Only the main gate was open, but they did have a person scanning prepaid online entry tickets and giving out wristbands (which is a great idea).  It was so wet at the beginning of the day, people just packed all of their belongings into lockers.  Anywhere there was shelter, people were there.  Some were dressed for winter; the rest of us were dressed for swimming, which is what I did first.

Had my final two goes of the Kraken for the season.  It was about a two minute wait time each time (and that's with one op at the top and loading two, three or four passengers at a time.  Abyss appeared to be only running one train and wait times were about ten minutes on average.  The Grand Prix Raceway didn't get started (due to the wet track, I presume) and most of the other rides alternated quite successfully.  Needless to say, the Freefall was out of action.  I hope it makes a comeback next season with a new paint job. 

The food was great, as usual, and the team members all put on a brave face, despite the wet weather. Cheers Mark, thanks for another great season.   

IMG_3299.JPG

IMG_3300.JPG

IMG_3301.JPG

IMG_3309.JPG

IMG_3315.JPG

IMG_3312.JPG

IMG_3318.JPG

IMG_3325.JPG

IMG_3330.JPG

IMG_3332.JPG

IMG_3354.JPG

IMG_3355.JPG

IMG_3358.JPG

IMG_8268.JPG

IMG_8299.JPG

IMG_8325.JPG

IMG_8316.JPG

IWERKS

Thanks and great photos.  Regarding Freefall, we have our shock absorbers refurbished and arriving this week from Germany, along with a Huss technician to oversee the install. On top of that we have a second set of brand new shocks arriving later in the Spring. I am 95% certain the ride will re-open in September. It has been very frustrating to have lost the ride through no fault of ours and to have to do so much chasing! We have budgted for a paint job and tart up around the ride (subject to budget approvals later this month)

In more news, the Paddle boats pond is dissapearing along with the Koi pond to create more lawn space as we seek to increase the Park footprint and ease the congestion on busy days. Its not an easy project as the pond was used as a storage of reticulation to provide sufficient volumes for each retic run. We are therefore having to build a 400,000 litre concrete tank with trafficable lid and inspection hatches under the new turf area. Its an expensive job but we feel the investment will be worth it in the long run.

There are a fair few aesthetic upgrades planned but all subject to aproval on the 17th so I cannot go into any detail. Suffice to say whilst there is no major new attraction this year, we are committed to investing in the overall experience.

Mark.

On ‎2‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 6:11 PM, iwerks said:

Ouch!

Thanks Mark, that's interesting news about the pond and the paddle boat lake. Will the old castle island disappear too? Good to hear Freefall will make a return. Hopefully, it'll have a theme or look close to Abyss'.

The Castle island will remain and one day be developed on. My plans to do much with Freefall hit a snag just after my last post as I am informed the tower will go back up early next week in readiness for the install of the new shocks. Once the ride is up and running, our maintenance team want to switch it off and turn it on once a week, run through some test cycles then switch her off until we re-open. That means I cannot get the structure on the ground for painting. Most of the tarting up will be at ground level. f anyone can think of a more interesting nmae than Freefall I'm all ears.

Tying it in with Abyss and linking it into the story would be a cool. The Guardian sets up a magical tower to try and harness the power of the Abyss. Calling it the Guardian's Tower, or alternative you could give this Guardian a name and name it after it. 

It could then easily be linked to a future attraction with The Guardian using The Tower to summon some evil monster or the like.

Edited by Chubu

How about, X Fall - The Next Generation. I love the idea of incorporating Abyss into the storyline. Maybe all the old 'chosen one's' have fallen away and chaos rules. A new set of 'chosen one's' (the riders) have to embark on a Journey to defeat the guardians once and for all.

This means the ride would probably need a repaint (and those can be incredibly expensive when working with such a big ride) however it would look amazing and would probably be one of the best themed drop towers (or launched freefall towers) in the world!

Just a thought :P