Adventure World 2015 - 'Mi2' Kraken Tornado slide

Tim Dasco

So on their comment they mentioned a "Bigger and better ride for next season with more details coming soon." Hopefully this is good news that will stop the backlash of comments that are happening on AW's Facebook page at the moment about the ride being removed. @Mark Shaw are you able to tell us if the ride was removed due to its age or just being removed for future attractions and if it was for future attractions why was it removed now and not when construction started for a future ride?

Edited by Tim Dasco

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a shame to see such an iconic ride being removed. Have many happy memories of the bounty's revenge, going back when i was a young kid visiting the park for the first time.

On the plus side, as they've said it's making way for Mi3 which is a good thing. Hopefully just like removing another classic - Turbo Mountain - gave us Abyss - we'll end up with something just as good :)

It seems unusually late in the season to be removing the ride though?

49 minutes ago, elemist said:

On the plus side, as they've said it's making way for Mi3 which is a good thing. Hopefully just like removing another classic - Turbo Mountain - gave us Abyss - we'll end up with something just as good :)

I agree with that however Turbo Mountain was removed because the manufacturer went bust and they could not source parts. Technically Turbo Mountain was replaced by the free Fall now Inferno.

49 minutes ago, elemist said:

It seems unusually late in the season to be removing the ride though?

This was my first thought and it makes me wonder why the choice was made to remove it now as if it being removed for MI3 you would think they would remove it when MI3 construction was starting not now. If they were selling it perhaps they were waiting for someone to buy it before they removed it. I also wondered why the choice to get rid of it rather than move it to another area in the park. (It would suit in dragons kingdom and shouldn't be to complicated to move. I think.) So this makes me believe it is being removed due to the ride getting old. It has been at AW for 30 years.

I also seems weird they start building the new season pass entrance now and the car park construction is just starting. I would have thought they would have started when last season started not now. But I am sure they have construction schedules and are aware of when the projects will be finished.

With that being said I am interested to see what AW have in store and I am sure Mark and his team made the right choice based on what their future plans are for the park. The new attraction (MI3) Might be at the front of the park as that whole area on the right side is now clear and empty. So hopefully this makes an impact on first arrival and waiting in the queue line. I am holding bets on a lazy river going around that area or a slide tower or possible another flat ride as they might need something to fill the void for family dry rides.(Oh I forgot about the rumoured kids waterslides) But looking forward to MI3 and all the future MI projects. So thats two attractions removed Paddle Boats and Bounty's Revenge.

Edited by Tim Dasco

Wow, that's some reaction. People are pretty attached to that ride and were surprised about the decision.

Judging by what's happened so late in the offseason, I reckon it's broken down and they can't get parts or it's a structural problem they can't fix. I'd like to think it's some part of a master plan, but I think it's hit its used by date and someone's had to make the tough decision.

Its an interesting decision. Its always an emotional situation when a much loved ,long lived ride goes to the big amusement park in the sky.

I would like to ask Mark if Adventure World would consider replacing the ride with another similar ride from a different manufacturer? Pirate Ships are very common rides and any number of ride manufacturer has an example of a Pirate Ship in their line up. Would Adventure World follow the example of Luna park Sydney in replacing a much loved ride with a newer version? ( Ala the recent Tango train  replacement?)

In saying this, I feel that Adventure World need to replace this ride  sooner rather than later, as it leaves a large hole in the dry rides options at the park.

I am sure Mark will soon give us the finer details regarding the rides removal and its possible ( if any) replacements.

29 minutes ago, iwerks said:

Yeah, it was hard to find any reference point. Posted about it yesterday and some people just can't believe it. It's going pretty nuts out there. 117000 post reach and it's going up about 10000 an hour.

I know. The amount of people commenting on your post was insane. Was that the most comments you have had in 1 post.

Read these on one of the comment on your Facebook page Iwerks and it was interesting.

"I used to work for AdventureWorld as part of my pre-apprenticeship about a month ago. One of the supervisors there said the ride was terribly unsafe and obsolete, and it needed replacing to prevent an inevitable accident (the underside of the ship was full of welds because it kept scraping into the concrete)."

Also I never new AW did Pre-apps.

Edited by Tim Dasco

Ah, I didn't see that coming. BR was one of my favourite rides as a kid and I recall going on it hundreds of times when I was younger. What a shame, however considering it was at AW for 30 years it needed to go someday. Looking forward to whats replacing it, though.

Edited by XxMrYoshixX

I must confess, I did think Bounty's Revenge had run its shelf life and 30 years is a good innings.  As for the new space, a flat roller coaster would fit nicely; although as the bumper boats recently had a pirate themed facelift, I wouldn't be surprised if the Pirates returned in the form of a lazy river or a log flume.  

Alternatively, what about following a car/racing theme?  Along with the go karts, the bumper boats could be re themed to be raced around the perimeter and a new coaster could be similar to EPCOTs test track.  Of course, everything might already be decided so we'll have to wait and see.

It will be interesting to see what it's replaced with. As someone else mentioned it's quite a high volume ride with a quick unload / load cycle. It was always a go to for us when the park was busy, as you could pretty much guarantee to be on it within about 15 minutes even on a busy day.

It will be interesting to see how the park handles the capacity this season. There's a few volume soaking activities that's been removed - IE the paddle boats, the castle and now BR. Whilst not exactly thrilling (in the case of the castle/paddle boats), it was a 15 - 20 minute activity for people to do which could absorb 15 - 20 people each at a time.

Considering they were hitting peak capacity and closing the entry during the last season, removing a ride without adding anything to handle the additional capacity could cause a few problems. On the flip side though, with no new attractions maybe the crowds won't be as large this year?

I guess when you think about it, it sits in a awkward category really - it's not an overly thrilling/scary ride like abyss or the rampage. At the same time so much has been invested in the kids area that it's no longer required for them either. So combine that with the age and one would assume high costs in maintaining and running the ride and you can understand why it's been cut. 

Props to AW for removing it ASAP though rather than just letting it sit. I wonder thinking about the layout and area now available whether there's plans to fence of the entire section and start working on Mi3 sooner rather than later? Would certainly explain the decision to remove it immediately and this late in the break. 

11 hours ago, Tim Dasco said:

I agree with that however Turbo Mountain was removed because the manufacturer went bust and they could not source parts. Technically Turbo Mountain was replaced by the free Fall now Inferno.

This was my first thought and it makes me wonder why the choice was made to remove it now as if it being removed for MI3 you would think they would remove it when MI3 construction was starting not now. If they were selling it perhaps they were waiting for someone to buy it before they removed it. I also wondered why the choice to get rid of it rather than move it to another area in the park. (It would suit in dragons kingdom and shouldn't be to complicated to move. I think.) So this makes me believe it is being removed due to the ride getting old. It has been at AW for 30 years.

I also seems weird they start building the new season pass entrance now and the car park construction is just starting. I would have thought they would have started when last season started not now. But I am sure they have construction schedules and are aware of when the projects will be finished.

With that being said I am interested to see what AW have in store and I am sure Mark and his team made the right choice based on what their future plans are for the park. The new attraction (MI3) Might be at the front of the park as that whole area on the right side is now clear and empty. So hopefully this makes an impact on first arrival and waiting in the queue line. I am holding bets on a lazy river going around that area or a slide tower or possible another flat ride as they might need something to fill the void for family dry rides.(Oh I forgot about the rumoured kids waterslides) But looking forward to MI3 and all the future MI projects. So thats two attractions removed Paddle Boats and Bounty's Revenge.

Correct with Turbo Mountain - but it was more the concept/idea of removing one coaster and replacing with a much better one.

The Car Park has been under construction for a while now, and the season past entrance etc are relatively minor things in comparison to removing something like BR when you think about it.

I'm all for a lazy river - would certainly work very well and suit Perth's climate as well. That said its an odd location for a water ride given it's nowhere near the existing pools/wet areas. So would mean either extensive work to get plant services from the existing locations to it, or high costs to build all new plant. Plus from a visitor point of things, it's a bit of a hike from there across to the pools/slides (in the scheme of the whole park being 5 minutes from end to end of course).

My thoughts for a lazy river type ride would be at the back of the current pool/slides where the animal park currently is. 

Edited by elemist