Adventure World 2015 - 'Mi2' Kraken Tornado slide

Tim Dasco

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Official statement from AW's Facebook page:

Time to say goodbye to an old friend. Bounty’s Revenge is no longer available.

An Adventure World icon for over 30 years, the beloved ship has brought so much joy to thousands of families and will always be fondly remembered. 

Sadly, even the best rides are not built to last forever and Bounty’s Revenge could no longer be maintained.
The difficult decision was made to send the great ship on her much deserved retirement. 

Though we have not said goodbye completely…
You may have heard rumours that the Kraken was instrumental in Bounty's demise. She is indeed forever locked in her icy tentacles and will be incorporated into the Kraken’s theming. 
So while not as she once was, we are fortunate to have a small part of Bounty’s Revenge with us still at Adventure World.

Its a good idea for them to keep some of the ride as theming. I wonder where they will put it?

On ‎19‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 7:39 PM, Tim Dasco said:

I know. The amount of people commenting on your post was insane. Was that the most comments you have had in 1 post.

Read these on one of the comment on your Facebook page Iwerks and it was interesting.

"I used to work for AdventureWorld as part of my pre-apprenticeship about a month ago. One of the supervisors there said the ride was terribly unsafe and obsolete, and it needed replacing to prevent an inevitable accident (the underside of the ship was full of welds because it kept scraping into the concrete)."

Also I never new AW did Pre-apps.

All

Bountys was old, there comes a point with everything that it has to retire. We would have loved to have kept her for longer but it wasnt possible for safety reasons (and those decisions are made well in advance of any real safety threat just to be certain)  The gentleman's comments above are just plain factually incorrect and we spoke to him directly and suggested he remove the post and I believe he then did. Some parts are going to Fun Fields in Victoria and the boat itself will sit at the bottom of the Kraken hill with a new detail and tentacles as if Kraken had taken her in the dark depths of winter.

Mi3 contract is being tweaked tonight with a man in Europe (?) and will be the biggest of its kind in Australia at around $7.5m. We have two locations being considered for the ride. Thats all I can tell you.

Some one mentioned thats two attractions that have been removed: obviously Paddles was removed a few years ago and I believe the new lawn will be a great addition to the park and gives us plenty of space for shows etc.. Inferno returns this year after a years sabatical and a change of personality so I guess that makes it evens along with some great other additions in the Park enhancing what is already there, including a much improved water mountain theme.

I would appreciate if these comments are not copied onto any FB pages as these dialogues are meant to be between our community. I would not want to have to crawl back under a rock and cease communications if this trust was breached! Thanks

Mark

26 minutes ago, Mark Shaw said:

Bountys was old, there comes a point with everything that it has to retire. We would have loved to have kept her for longer but it wasnt possible for safety reasons (and those decisions are made well in advance of any real safety threat just to be certain)  The gentleman's comments above are just plain factually incorrect and we spoke to him directly and suggested he remove the post and I believe he then did. Some parts are going to Fun Fields in Victoria and the boat itself will sit at the bottom of the Kraken hill with a new detail and tentacles as if Kraken had taken her in the dark depths of winter.

Mi3 contract is being tweaked tonight with a man in Europe (?) and will be the biggest of its kind in Australia at around $7.5m. We have two locations being considered for the ride. Thats all I can tell you.

Wow, that's a lot of clues for something this early. Assuming this is a dry ride, since we just got Kraken last year.

Biggest of its kind, $7.5 million. Hmm, I'd love to see something from Mack, Gerstlauer or an Intamin flat.

Agree that Bountys was old, riding it a couple seasons ago it was showing its age. 30 years is a good innings for a Pirate ship, though. Is it going to get repainted from its cheap looking purple?

Edited by XxMrYoshixX

@Mark Shaw - it seems the public backlash is out there. I realise you guys are doing so much - and the general public are obviously just blind - but did anyone consider whether a replacement could be sourced relatively cheaply - a la Tango Train at Luna Park being replaced old for new?

If you're planning Mi3 3+ years in advance, its probably difficult to squeeze an unexpected replacement when something reaches end-of-life - but is it on the cards?

8 hours ago, AlexB said:

@Mark Shaw - it seems the public backlash is out there. I realise you guys are doing so much - and the general public are obviously just blind - but did anyone consider whether a replacement could be sourced relatively cheaply - a la Tango Train at Luna Park being replaced old for new?

If you're planning Mi3 3+ years in advance, its probably difficult to squeeze an unexpected replacement when something reaches end-of-life - but is it on the cards?

Yeah good question- I asked this on the previous page.

Its an interesting decision. Its always an emotional situation when a much loved ,long lived ride goes to the big amusement park in the sky.

I would like to ask Mark if Adventure World would consider replacing the ride with another similar ride from a different manufacturer? Pirate Ships are very common rides and any number of ride manufacturer has an example of a Pirate Ship in their line up. Would Adventure World follow the example of Luna park Sydney in replacing a much loved ride with a newer version? ( Ala the recent Tango train  replacement?)

In saying this, I feel that Adventure World need to replace this ride  sooner rather than later, as it leaves a large hole in the dry rides options at the park.

I am sure Mark will soon give us the finer details regarding the rides removal and its possible ( if any) replacements.

@Mark Shaw was this strategy considered? Funds of course being available. Pirate Ships certainly are not the most expensive ride out there but once you include theming and associated works its not small change. Is this something you would consider in years to come- especially since the Pirate Ships demise has seen you temporarily lose dry attraction numbers? This is something the greater public would be keenly aware of between now and the introduction of MI3.

On ‎23‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 6:00 AM, AlexB said:

Alex

We did not get too much notice about the end of the Bountys life span. When we did we investigated second hand replacements  but couldnt find anything suitable to our criteria.  MI3 will certainly more than make up for the loss of Bountys.

17 hours ago, Jobe said:

Yeah good question- I asked this on the previous page.

@Mark Shaw was this strategy considered? Funds of course being available. Pirate Ships certainly are not the most expensive ride out there but once you include theming and associated works its not small change. Is this something you would consider in years to come- especially since the Pirate Ships demise has seen you temporarily lose dry attraction numbers? This is something the greater public would be keenly aware of between now and the introduction of MI3.

Yes, it has been considered and is still an option. A lot depends on trading conditions as to when.

Mark I don't think anyone can say what you and your team are doing is nothing other than amazing. MI1 and MI2 are great rides. I know you have said there is a MI3 and a MI4 2 years after. But are you able to say if AW are planning on building more MI's as the years go on. Ie like every 2 years like your doing now or will new attractions slow down after a while? But I already can't wait for these next attractions to come.

2 hours ago, Tim Dasco said:

Mark I don't think anyone can say what you and your team are doing is nothing other than amazing. MI1 and MI2 are great rides. I know you have said there is a MI3 and a MI4 2 years after. But are you able to say if AW are planning on building more MI's as the years go on. Ie like every 2 years like your doing now or will new attractions slow down after a while? But I already can't wait for these next attractions to come.

Tim

Thanks. The strategy will be mostly every 2 years for the foreseabble future. There maybe a back to back year where we dont have big infrastructure costs or perhaps a smaller attraction expansion (DK for example or similar pre-school market). In the next few years we have to spend $1.5m on a new HV ring main to expand our power capacity and following year expanding car parking again which may mean moving maintenance areas and offices. Not cheap.

Mark

Thanks Mark for that response, seems like AW will become an ultimate theme park soon when a few more MI's are built. Are u able to say how many years you plan for ie a 5 year plan or do you have a general idea of what's in store for more than those 5 years? I am looking forward to MI50. ? (Not that I will be alive in a 100 years but oh well)

On ‎24‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 11:44 AM, Tim Dasco said:

Thanks Mark for that response, seems like AW will become an ultimate theme park soon when a few more MI's are built. Are u able to say how many years you plan for ie a 5 year plan or do you have a general idea of what's in store for more than those 5 years? I am looking forward to MI50. ? (Not that I will be alive in a 100 years but oh well)

We defintely have a 7 year plan, the rest is possibles but without order of priority yet.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Tim Dasco said:

AW posted this on their Facebook page.

Screen Shot 2016-09-04 at 7.16.29 pm.png

They have referred to the quote "Kraken gets the worm". Anyone have any idea what this means?

early bird catches the worm

Also, early bird gets the worm. One who arrives first has the best chance for success, as in She's always the firstone in line and does well at these auctions-the early bird catches the worm! This proverbial saying, first recorded inEnglish in 1605, is so familiar that it is often shortened to early bird, a term also used in the sense of "early riser", asin You can call me at seven-I'm an early bird, as well as "early diner" ( This restaurant has early-bird specials at lowerprices).

Get "Kraken" = Get cracking

get cracking
phrase of crack

1. 1.
    informal
    act quickly and decisively.
    "most tickets have been snapped up, so get cracking if you want one"

So in this instance, act fast to ensure you get the best deal.

^ In my interpretation of it anyway.