Adventure World 2015 - 'Mi2' Kraken Tornado slide

Tim Dasco

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a quick report from Adventure World today. It was 22 degrees in Perth and proving Mark's below 27 theory correct, the park was pretty much empty in the morning. They were running one train on Abyss with two operators and the wait time was zero minutes. A lot of rides were alternating, but still managed to get lots done, including pretty much unlimited laps on the Grand Prix go karts.

The Freefall seems to be down again, but they're hopeful of getting it back up and running soon. The shelter at the top of the former Alpine Mountain seems to have lost half of its roof - presumably in preparation for the next big attraction. Dinosaur Island has left the park, with only the entry portal still there. The staff were their lovely, charming selves, with Matt and the older American gentlemen, who were running either side of the chairlift, being the highlight. The Tikki Chicken burger was tasty, really enjoyed the sauce/dressing. There's a sale on at the gift shop at the moment. Had to pick myself up an Abyss shirt, which features the new logo.

You could see some of the extensive repairs in the pool and mat slide area. There were more ducks than people in the pool.

post-2597-0-47291900-1428851515_thumb.jp

post-2597-0-30718500-1428851593_thumb.jp

post-2597-0-12745400-1428851670_thumb.jp

post-2597-0-73832600-1428851777_thumb.jp

post-2597-0-13615000-1428851883_thumb.jp

post-2597-0-47613200-1428851968_thumb.jp

post-2597-0-06416400-1428852038_thumb.jp

post-2597-0-84019500-1428852104_thumb.jp

Gee those weeds and long grasses amongst the Abyss theming really ruins the look, doesn't it?

Hi Alex

The entire Abyss area is supposed to be derelict as a stark contrast to the manicured grounds everywhere else in the park. The unkempt look is supposed to add to the creepiness and authenticity. It was felt that mowing and whipper snipping would not be something the druids would have done. :)

It is interesting though to hear your feedback. What do other's think? the vegetation is also at its peak at present and will die down during winter. One option might be for us to get the grounds guys to just go in and pull weeds around the skull worshipping druids though?

Mark

Agree - i could be more specific - the whole 'druids around the skull thing' is what i was getting at - I almost didn't notice the skull until i did a double take - the rest of the area totally works (and around singular druids wouldn't matter either) but the skull area looks like an area of 'worship' and one would think the druids would need a 'clear area' to practice... whatever it is they're practicing.

One could say 'nothing can grow amongst the circle of power!' :D

Hi Alex

The entire Abyss area is supposed to be derelict as a stark contrast to the manicured grounds everywhere else in the park. The unkempt look is supposed to add to the creepiness and authenticity. It was felt that mowing and whipper snipping would not be something the druids would have done. :)

It is interesting though to hear your feedback. What do other's think? the vegetation is also at its peak at present and will die down during winter. One option might be for us to get the grounds guys to just go in and pull weeds around the skull worshipping druids though?

Mark

Being perfectly honest, and please consider I haven't seen the ride or area in person, I don't see it. To me, that just looks like the park couldn't be bothered mowing the grass.

If you were going with that idea of the unkempt look, I still think druids would have cleared an area to work in, even if it was just pulling/flattening some grass without mowing it.

Plus the whole green grass area with the druids looks more overgrown than themed to anything in particular, and IMO doesn't suit the "deathly" theme the ride looks like it's trying to convey.

In my opinion, and I don't know the safety side on this but it's quite probably not viable, but back-burning that area would give it a nice "dark" (no pun intended) feel. If that's not viable, maybe some black paint for the grass in that area?

A tpr trip report from Marcel on Adventure World:http://www.themepark...573698#p1573698

Someone else has a problem with OTSRs causing head banging.

To perfectly honest, there's no real reason for any looping coaster to use OTSRs....Intamin don't anymore, mack don't, Maurer dont, Gerstlauer don't....its only really B&M that do, but they're pretty conservative, and in any case their rides are smooth enough for headbanging to not matter.

Edited by Gazza

That crazy, Marcel. Saw plenty of 'Internationals' at the park the other day.

I don't mind the Druids' weeds, although I know people who are against them. The sound on Abyss, before the first internal drop, wasn't working the other day either.

Generally speaking, I love what AW's doing with the gardening, especially out the front of the park. The little signs and 'Easter eggs' like the fairy houses (which are referenced in the kids' show) also add to the atmosphere. However, I think they could trim some of the bushes around the 'cable car' as one of them looks a little bit like Pac Man.

post-2597-0-34050800-1428917485_thumb.jp

post-2597-0-67735800-1428917601_thumb.jp

post-2597-0-66161100-1428917883_thumb.jp

post-2597-0-08057700-1428918030_thumb.jp

i think the area needs a bit of a clean up too

i understand the unkept idea but it doesn't really work - does just look like poor maintenance at the moment

needs a bit of a mix - particularly clean up the weeds around the skull

have some areas 'messy'

make it look somehow that its meant to be like that.

probably would be better if it was all dark dirt/rock or something

Also - if the park is that empty i might have to miss a day of work this week and take the kids

Edited by grrofunger

i hadn't even been since 1995 !

i love theme parks, grew up in sydney with australia's wonderland - so enjoying taking the kids to theme parks now

spent a small fortune in both 2012 and 2013 going to the gold coast for the theme parks

never thought of adventure world as a real option and its only about 20 minutes away !

will still look to travel further around the world for more parks with the kids ...but for an 'everyday' experience - adventure world is AWesome

Does anyone else remember what was around the Demon's queue area and under the track?

From memory it was rocks, upto larger boulders and gravel with a few tombstones thrown in for good measure. I remember it being quite effective at the time but must say I didn't get to the park in its last few years so don't know how well it kept.

At the very least some sort of circle of stones/gravel where the Druids are 'worshipping' would make it look desolate yet 'sacred' but would be easy to maintain by simply spraying.

I think Demon's landscaping was well maintained, but it still had the look of 'overgrown' and 'unkempt'. Sure the gravelwoodchip parts weren't great - but that area was needed to be maintained that way in case of evacrescue from the boomerang. It really fitted the bill.

Mark - rather than grass - i think some 'weedy-looking' shrubs and bushes would suit it well and help the grassweeds blend in a bit. Right now it looks like my bottom paddock rather than any 'secret druid hollow'.

Please don't get me wrong - although i'm yet to visit, i think what you guys have achieved in a few years is mindblowingly amazing - but for me the weeds just ruin the theme for Abyss.

Guys, sometimes we get blinkered into an idea just like anyone else. I hear what everyone is saying and now that I think on it I think the majority view is right. We are so busy right now budgeting and executing MI2 and other things that the weeds just crept up a little too high while we were otherwise occupied. I will see if we can get some trimming done and rethink the Druid worship circles.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Hey just curious when will the style of ride no longer be a secret? As in, when is the official announcement planned? I am really really hoping it is some sort of water ride that is record breaking in the thrill sense but can also be ridden without getting topless and into swimmers.. maybe a huge flume drop for example.

Hi Pazzap

The official announcement on the type of attraction and theme/name will be in July. Not long now. As stated here before, I will give you all here a heads up on it 24 hrs. before the official announcement and I will give advanced notice so you know when that will be.

Mark

• Richard changed the title to Adventure World 2015 - \'Mi2\' Tornado slide