Adventure World 2015 - 'Mi2' Kraken Tornado slide

Tim Dasco

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure why we are quoting the price in USD for abyss? Adventure World always promoted the ride as a $12 Million dollar attraction, and I think its safe to say that they were talking AUD at the time. Why would a local park that serves the Perth market be quoting a foreign currency?

I usually rely on RCDB for stats, unless they are unavailable. RCDB quotes as USD: http://rcdb.com/7444.htm but I accept the figure quoted by AW would have been AUD.

However - given the $ was about on parity at the time, it's fair to say the figure was probably about the same be it in USD or AUD. (Actually the USD spent much of 2012 and 2013 below parity)

Given the low dollar right now, the math still probably wouldn't be far off. Assuming they paid in Euro to Gerstlauer, the Euro traded at about 1.2AUD at the time of purchase. It now sits up around 1.56, so the dollar wouldn't buy the same ride today no matter which currency you're dealing with.

I assumed it would be dark from looking at the photos of the pieces lying around before they were installed , looked thick and not really conducive to letting light through. 

will be pretty hot inside too  

Umm, I am not going to give too much away but there "might" be a couple of semi-translucent sections along the long journey?

I usually rely on RCDB for stats, unless they are unavailable. RCDB quotes as USD: http://rcdb.com/7444.htm but I accept the figure quoted by AW would have been AUD.

However - given the $ was about on parity at the time, it's fair to say the figure was probably about the same be it in USD or AUD. (Actually the USD spent much of 2012 and 2013 below parity)

Given the low dollar right now, the math still probably wouldn't be far off. Assuming they paid in Euro to Gerstlauer, the Euro traded at about 1.2AUD at the time of purchase. It now sits up around 1.56, so the dollar wouldn't buy the same ride today no matter which currency you're dealing with.

Some solid financial considerations Alex.  Generally if you take the price of the attraction (ride or slide) then basically double it for all of the other costs associated with install and operation you won't be far off the total project cost. I know most of our industry colleagues at other parks concur with this simple rule of thumb. Most of the costs are in the foundations usually.

Mark, would you mind me asking how much Abyss cost for the ride itself no theming or shipping and so on?

:facepalm:

Generally if you take the price of the attraction (ride or slide) then basically double it for all of the other costs associated with install and operation you won't be far off the total project cost.

Project cost is double the ride cost.

Just curious, was 12mil your project cost or just the ride cost for Abyss Mark?

Total Project including all theming, lighting, signage, queue races etc. etc.

12mil was total project cost

Your  comment about doubling the attraction cost seems to correlate quite well with the Gold Coast projects too. 

So total project = $12mil

Ride cost = 50% of total project.

50% of total project = $6mil

Ride cost = $6mil.

Though it is worth noting that quoted ride costs at other parks are likely the full project cost, but the "ride cost is half project cost" doesn't necessarily hold true in other countries - due to lower shipping/labour/regulatory/etc costs.  So a Windseeker which cost $5M at another park wouldn't be as cheap as US$5M here, but it probably wouldn't cost US$10M either (anyone who knows better feel free to correct me, of course)

A lot of cash, but it would be worth thinking about for a possible Mi3 - it would look amazing on top of the hill and would probably appeal to those who like Bounty's Revenge and water slides but nothing as extreme as the Rampage or Abyss.

Edited by dukeofwhales

Adventure World is catering for lazy people with this slide have a conveyer belt pull the inflatables up to station level. :D

11896033_10153476175304564_5975148176060564851_n.jpg

The conveyer belt is a staple of many modern water parks. Also its not lazy cuz it would be an absolute pain in the ass to walk up the entire hill holding a 4 person tube. Carrying up a 2 person tube to Shotgun is already enough. . . especially on a hot day when the floor is stinkin' hot.

Good point.

But wet n wild makes you with there tornado slide.

WnW's tornado is literally launch, turn around, splash. It's a vertical climb up 3-4 flights of stairs. The angle of the flume limits the ability for a conveyor to fit, and it's not that far.

Given the #longest #steepest tags, Mi2 is a much longer trip. It would be crazy for them not to install a conveyor.

I don't think it's a fair comparison for WnW GC - however I agree it is a pain to carry the rafts up the stairs. thankfully it isn't far.