Adventure World 2015 - 'Mi2' Kraken Tornado slide

Tim Dasco

Hello, I just joined this forum as I was looking for information on Kraken and I have enjoyed reading everyone's comments on that new ride. I am from Canada and when I went to IAAPA last November, Proslide had some excellent things to say about Kraken and I was curious to know more.

Reading through the comments, it appears to have the typical Tornado insane popularity and my local water park fixed up the capacity by using an interesting system: it is a standard Tornado like you see at Six Flags parks and everyone lines up at the bottom of the tower.  The lifeguards patrol the line and enforce a strict 4 riders per raft rule and won't allow groups of two or three up the tower. This speeds up the queue and a full queue there is only 45 minutes at most. Depending on staffing and the space available on top of the hill, maybe it would be possible to have pre emptive pairing? The same system is in place at the Behemoth Bowl (family raft slide with a bowl) and raft slides.

I attached a few pictures of the local Tornado and its rather unique theming!

IMAG0322.jpg

IMAG0323.jpg

Edited by spacemtfan

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Spacemtfan and welcome. Great theming, it's similar in someways to the Storm Coaster in Queensland. The problem with the queue area for the Kraken is that it's not a normal waterslide tower: it's a hill that also has a chairlift station, speed slides and the Freefall tower. You could also get to the top of the hill three different ways. I've also seen ride ops complete their four from the fast pass queue as well as the normal line. It seems to work, it's just really popular and busy at the moment.

19 hours ago, elemist said:

I've often wondered why the raft conveyers aren't put to use for moving things to the bottom of the slides.

...because that's the job of the slide?

Plus a raft conveyor isn't built to take things down - the mechanic side of things are underneath too - there's no clearance - plus the bottom of it is underwater...

On 29/12/2015 at 4:47 PM, Mark Shaw said:

We are still trending the highest rated Theme park, water park or amusement park in Australia on Trip Advisor for December to date, thanks to our teams dedication and hard work.

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/TravelersChoice-Attractions-cAmusementParks-g8

???

I mean no disrespect by far, but I must be missing something.... I thought Dreamworld was #1 :blink::huh:<_<

Edited by OceanGirl

36 minutes ago, Tim Dasco said:

They could be talking about peoples actual reviews and comments made on the link below is the hist rating.

The link to the top 10 list above is for 2015 winners, determined by the overall rating as submitted by reviews on individual pages. That's why I am confused, as I read Mark's comment but couldn't recall seeing Adventure World listed when it was published late last year. I figured it would have appeared in the top 10 list if it was trending as the most popular in Australia/South Pacific at any stage, even if for just one month. Although I don't doubt for a second that he and his staff have and continue to work very hard at making it a worthy opponent. 

I haven't been to Adventure World before, let alone WA, so I can't form a first hand opinion. But I do know that our GC parks are a force to be reckoned with in Australia alone. So to see them dominating the list, including for the #1 spot, does not surprise me in the slightest. 

14 hours ago, AlexB said:

...because that's the job of the slide?

Plus a raft conveyor isn't built to take things down - the mechanic side of things are underneath too - there's no clearance - plus the bottom of it is underwater...

Yep - but as already mentioned it's a risky issue sending belongings down the slide. It introduces debris and slows down sending people, which is the primary purpose. On the other hand you have a conveyor belt carrying up rafts, then returning empty to the bottom. Appreciate there's mechanical equipment on the underside, but surely there would be room for a small box or i'm sure something could be engineered.

Adventure Worlds problem is not unique. It's the same issue around the world in every park.

59 minutes ago, OceanGirl said:

The link to the top 10 list above is for 2015 winners, determined by the overall rating as submitted by reviews on individual pages. That's why I am confused, as I read Mark's comment but couldn't recall seeing Adventure World listed when it was published late last year. I figured it would have appeared in the top 10 list if it was trending as the most popular in Australia/South Pacific at any stage, even if for just one month. Although I don't doubt for a second that he and his staff have and continue to work very hard at making it a worthy opponent. 

I haven't been to Adventure World before, let alone WA, so I can't form a first hand opinion. But I do know that our GC parks are a force to be reckoned with in Australia alone. So to see them dominating the list, including for the #1 spot, does not surprise me in the slightest. 

Whilst Dreamworld and Movie World have lots of attractions they do not understand service.  They are miles behind Adventure World in this regard.

6 hours ago, elemist said:

Yep - but as already mentioned it's a risky issue sending belongings down the slide. It introduces debris and slows down sending people, which is the primary purpose. On the other hand you have a conveyor belt carrying up rafts, then returning empty to the bottom. Appreciate there's mechanical equipment on the underside, but surely there would be room for a small box or i'm sure something could be engineered.

Adventure Worlds problem is not unique. It's the same issue around the world in every park.

You're still going to introduce debris if you use the raft conveyor - plus you'll need all sorts of additional guards and safety systems to allow the ground operator to halt the lift, retrieve the belongings etc.

People just need to leave their shit at the bottom. Thats what happens in most parks. Of course - AW does have this problem, which whilst i'm sure isn't unique, is a lot rarer. They're working on fixes, but anything that necessitates people wearing something that is then sent down the hill using any of the slide infrastructure - its a bad idea.

13 hours ago, OceanGirl said:

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/TravelersChoice-Attractions-cAmusementParks-g8

???

I mean no disrespect by far, but I must be missing something.... I thought Dreamworld was #1 :blink::huh:<_<

Hi Ocean Girl

based on 4/5 star reviews as a % of reviews AW was pipping DW last week. Sadly due to our huge queues last week and severe heat we got pegged back a little and ended up just behind DW. If you take the period of AW's season last year and compare with DW and the other big Parks, AW scored highest with 85% of reviews being either 4 or 5 star.  A lot of TA's ratings confuse us and we have challenged them before, many times without success (seems when we speak to an Australian TA manager they tell us that all that stuff is regulated in the USA to algorithms not shared and they don't have  any sway because the company now is just so big)  Hope that helps.

ps. no disrespect to some of the Parks listed here either but we have hardly heard of many of them including the no 2 and 3 listed Park here so something is clearly out of whack.

Just now, Mark Shaw said:

Hi Ocean Girl

based on 4/5 star reviews as a % of reviews AW was pipping DW last week. Sadly due to our huge queues last week and severe heat we got pegged back a little and ended up just behind DW. If you take the period of AW's season last year and compare with DW and the other big Parks, AW scored highest with 85% of reviews being either 4 or 5 star.  A lot of TA's ratings confuse us and we have challenged them before, many times without success (seems when we speak to an Australian TA manager they tell us that all that stuff is regulated in the USA to algorithms not shared and they don't have  any sway because the company now is just so big)  Hope that helps.

Ah ok, thanks for the clarification! And well done :D As I said previously, I don't doubt for a minute that you guys have worked hard toward your success. Was just curious where the stats came into things as I hadn't previously seen anything mentioned on the Tripadvisor website.

Hopefully hubby & I will get over to WA one day to experience the park first hand, would be worth it alone to ride this Abyss rollercoaster I keep hearing so much about since we are both rollercoaster buffs :)

Blue Water Lagoon looks more like a community swimming pool than a water park, so it's inclusion is a bit dubious.

That list is pretty all over the shop.  I'm surprised Adventure World isn't on the list, and I'm surprised Aussie World isn't rated higher.  Wet 'n' Wild Sydney's omission based on customer reviews is about the only thing that would be expected.  

I was just reading into WetSide Water Education Park. I don't understand how this is third on the list. Its a free place that has a little slide tower like Dragons Kingdom at AW and it has some small shallow kids pools with fountians and like a nature walk or something. (This is just from pictures that I found this out. So I could be wrong) But I really believe that Movie World, Sea World, Adventure World easily beat this.

Edited by Tim Dasco

general rule of thumb in customer service based industries. more people are likely to give a review or feedback if they had a bad experience, or had something to pick on.

Far less people will give ratings \ feedback on good experiences, unless things that are extra special happen to them (or if they are avid reviewers).

I'm sure that a small community attraction, that generates 10 good reviews and 0 bad ones is going to rank against a park that has 10 good reviews and 20,000 bad ones... even though it shouldn't.