SFMM - Colossus to close August 16, 2014

World's oldest what? Woodie? No. Wooden Racer? possibly.

At 36, it comes in on RCDB's list of 'still operating woodies' halfway down page 3:

http://rcdb.com/r.htm?order=10&ot=2&nm=na&st=93&ex=1&ty=2&page=3

I was quite disheartened to hear the news the other day from TPR. The comments did suggest a reworking, rather than demolition (although colossus does occupy valuable real estate that could easily fit 2 or more other coasters if they wanted to).

I rode Colossus in 1996 and 2013, roughly 18 years apart. I must admit in 2013 she looked like she was struggling, and they were not running two trains across the structure at the same time. In whatever fashion they choose, I hope they keep the old girl around a bit longer.

Step By Step, KnightRider, A-team, a KiSS movie.... she's one of the industry's biggest stars when it comes to film and TV.... and an absolute icon.

It's a shame SFMM will be losing an iconic, relitavely family friendly classic coaster but it was losing popularity and honestly wasn't anything too special after all the crappy modifications were done to it.

I'm honestly really excited to see what RMC can do with a racing coaster. Unfortunately, being at SFMM, it likely won't race too much unless it's built as a mobius loop coaster.

Edited by alex_1

High-five element anyone?

No. Just no.

Colossus is a seat divider away from being an ACE coaster classic. Apart from that - high five requires the trains to come head to head - whereas colossus is a racer.

I'll be happy if they bring back the camel humps and get rid of the block brake in that spot. I'd love to see the trains return to PTC style carriages as well.

They'll be changing a lot more than the block brake...

Naturally if it is a reprofiling of course they will.

I simply said 'i'd be happy if...' - in other words, I don't care for any gimmicks like high fives, or inversions... I just want a nice traditional woodie brought back to life.

Naturally if it is a reprofiling of course they will.

I simply said 'i'd be happy if...' - in other words, I don't care for any gimmicks like high fives, or inversions... I just want a nice traditional woodie brought back to life.

Come on, nobody hires RMC for a traditional woodie. If it were just a reprofile it wouldn't be a new attraction, it'll be a radical Iron Horse reprofile with inversions and all.

RMC coasters are fantastic so I see no cause for complaint.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Racing coasters work really well... when they're run as racing coasters.

I certainly hope they maintain the operations to consistently run two trains.

I'm impressed, and certainly a coaster of that size had to replace colossus purely based on footprint needed. I'm still disappointed they got rid of such a classic coaster to do this, but i'm excited to ride it.